Cracked records that play great

I have two very rare records that are cracked from edge well into the center. As long as I make sure (by pressing down if needed, for half a second) that the crack is flat across the split sides, they play excellent to near mint. 

I don't plan to sell these records but am curious what you think this kind of situation does to the value of a record. Clearly less than a record that plays as well without a crack. But how about compared with a crackless record that has much more noise? 

Just wondering, because I have too much time on my hands ( or am avoiding real work).

Social source share

Plenty of grading scales out there , all of which regard a cracked record as near worthless from a collectors POV ... 0-5% of Mint value.

But there are plenty of desperate wannabees out there that seem to disagree and pay way over the odds for f*cked forty-fives on an hourly basis , especially on the bay.

This will no doubt kick off yet another heated debate where a lot of folk will state that "Norvern Soul' is a "special genre" that doesn't need to use a proper grading scale as the tunes are so sought after that you can name your price regardless of condition.

Personally I prefer to use the 0-5% rule as it's the generally accepted valuation across the globe regardless of genre or medium but that's just one opinion.

I guess that a M- record that's cracked but plays through with a minimum of 'clicks' would be the origin of the so-called "OK for DJing" grade that has become so common in listings , still only 5% of mint in my book though , and that applies to any 45 whether it be a £25 tune or a £5000 one.

Touch paper's fizzing , fire away ......

• Up vote 3
Social source share

5 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Plenty of grading scales out there , all of which regard a cracked record as near worthless from a collectors POV ... 0-5% of Mint value.

But there are plenty of desperate wannabees out there that seem to disagree and pay way over the odds for f*cked forty-fives on an hourly basis , especially on the bay.

This will no doubt kick off yet another heated debate where a lot of folk will state that "Norvern Soul' is a "special genre" that doesn't need to use a proper grading scale as the tunes are so sought after that you can name your price regardless of condition.

Personally I prefer to use the 0-5% rule as it's the generally accepted valuation across the globe regardless of genre or medium but that's just one opinion.

I guess that a M- record that's cracked but plays through with a minimum of 'clicks' would be the origin of the so-called "OK for DJing" grade that has become so common in listings , still only 5% of mint in my book though , and that applies to any 45 whether it be a £25 tune or a £5000 one.

Touch paper's fizzing , fire away ......

Totally agree. I can't believe people bidding huge sums on cracked 45's on Ebay. The crack itself puts the disc at risk and one slight knock or a bit of mishandling could ruin it very quickly and easily.

There are ways to stabilise (and I use the term stabilise rather than repair) the 45 as JM demonstrates on his Youtube channel and it does work, but bottom line is you still have a cracked record. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Meant to add that if I were selling a cracked 45 I would do so via E-bay auction , with an accurate description of condition and clear pics , a reserve reflecting what I'd want for it and then sit back and wait for a pair of desperados to fight it out to a hopefully ridiculously high ending bid ... as long as no wool is pulled over anyone's eyes then those with too much cash and no clue deserve everything they get , literally.

Social source share

You only need to check Popsike’s most valuable record auctions to get a clearer picture. Magnetics on Bonnie and Parliaments on Cabell have sold for thousands of dollars in cracked condition. A really rare record in cracked condition could sell for 25-50%  alue of a mint copy. Cracked vinyl is less of a problem than cracked styrene as it produces a tighter crack less susceptible to stylus disruption. Better to have a cracked record than no record at all - then the challenge is to find an unbroken copy...easier said than done.

Social source share

I’d be more worried about knackering my stylus than what value the record was - wouldn’t purchase anything with a crack in it for that reason - would have thought that anyone with respect for their equipment would think the same personally

Social source share

6 minutes ago, dwr said:

I’d be more worried about knackering my stylus than what value the record was - wouldn’t purchase anything with a crack in it for that reason - would have thought that anyone with respect for their equipment would think the same personally

But if I can't hear anything, can it be damaging the stylus?

Social source share

I only have 1 record with a crack but it also has a hole in the dead wax at the start and the finish, i will play it on my turntable as it plays well but i wouldn't play it on anybody else's decks.

("cause your mine"- the vibrations) 

Social source share

:boxing:HI ALL... It's a fact that if you collect 6ts Rare Soul, whether they are vinyl or styrene, the way they are handled Stateside which is no way like we do, there will always be some damaged by the way they have been handled and stored, some have cracks some are broken and some are water damaged, the Shrine label comes to mind. For me if I get a record that has a hair line crack, after putting a bit of tape on the non hit side it will do,  however for those people who want to play the record out when DJing I always assumed that to protect your records, you would use your own head shell with it's pick up & stylus, as it is stupid to think that the ones on the decks are safe, it makes sense to take your own, you would not DJ without a centre WOULD YOU??:shhh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!