Soul Shoes, Eastleigh

Last night was my first visit to Soul Shoes. I'd seen flyers for this event at Bisley and Lightwater before, but always thought Eastleigh was a bit too far to travel (I'm basically lazy). Surprised that it took the same time (if not less) to get to as some do's in London. Anyway after stopping off at Tescos en-route to purchase our drinks for the night, as there is no bar at the venue, we arrived at our destination at about 9.00pm. Bishopstoke Memorial Hall is a small village/community type hall sited next door to a pub, it has a large stage, wooden floor with tables and chairs situated around the edge of the hall. We (the wife and I) entered and paid our entrance fee and then found Moldie situated were he always is at any do I've seen him, close to the stage area. Kerry (Chris Thorley's better half) was celebrating her birthday, 21st I think it was, so there was a rather splendid buffet laid out over a couple of tables.

Anyway I digress, on stage playing a splendid array of northern soul classics was Keith Barnes, the floor remained relatively busy with dancers, throughout his spot.

Keith was followed for a short while by Gary Todd (at least I think it was blush.gif ), before handing over to the dynamic double decking duo of Laurel & Hardy, sorry I mean Moldie and Chris Thorley, at 10pm. They played all points between R&B to Modern, amongst which were Let My Heart And Soul Be Free, Independent Woman, Catch That Teardrop, can't remember all the others, but I do know that the floor was rammed throughout their spot.

Steve Lyons took over at 11pm and began his turn with some classic motown. Unfortunately what with having been up since 5.30am and having to go to work the following morning, I had to call it a night at 11.30pm :thumbsup: . So I missed the final hour.

I found the event to be very informal, everyone there was just out to enjoy themselves. Nobody spends time standing at the bar chatting or chinstroking, this is because there is no bar. And to be honest the fact that there is no bar didn't distract from the night at all. The music that was played may not be to everyones taste, no real rarerities, just good honest across the board soul music. Would I go again? Yes I probably will.

Edited by Supercorsa
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Last night was my first visit to Soul Shoes. I'd seen flyers for this event at Bisley and Lightwater before, but always thought Eastleigh was a bit too far to travel (I'm basically lazy). Surprised that it took the same time (if not less) to get to as some do's in London. Anyway after stopping off at Tescos en-route to purchase our drinks for the night, as there is no bar at the venue, we arrived at our destination at about 9.00pm. Bishopstoke Memorial Hall is a small village/community type hall sited next door to a pub, it has a large stage, wooden floor with tables and chairs situated around the edge of the hall. We (the wife and I) entered and paid our entrance fee and then found Moldie situated were he always is at any do I've seen him, close to the stage area. Kerry (Chris Thorley's better half) was celebrating her birthday, 21st I think it was, so there was a rather splendid buffet laid out over a couple of tables.

Anyway I digress, on stage playing a splendid array of northern soul classics was Keith Barnes, the floor remained relatively busy with dancers, throughout his spot.

Keith was followed for a short while by Gary Todd (at least I think it was blush.gif ), before handing over to the dynamic double decking duo of Laurel & Hardy, sorry I mean Moldie and Chris Thorley, at 10pm. They played all points between R&B to Modern, amongst which were Let My Heart And Soul Be Free, Independent Woman, Catch That Teardrop, can't remember all the others, but I do know that the floor was rammed throughout their spot.

Steve Lyons took over at 11pm and began his turn with some classic motown. Unfortunately what with having been up since 5.30am and having to go to work the following morning, I had to call it a night at 11.30pm :thumbsup: . So I missed the final hour.

I found the event to be very informal, everyone there was just out to enjoy themselves. Nobody spends time standing at the bar chatting or chinstroking, this is because there is no bar. And to be honest the fact that there is no bar didn't distract from the night at all. The music that was played may not be to everyones taste, no real rarerities, just good honest across the board soul music. Would I go again? Yes I probably will.

I've attended a few times in the past, as you say a good old honest Soul night, nothing rare but always a good atmosphere & the crowd are always up for it.

Gary has been running dos for a long long time, keeping NS going through thick & thin in that part of the country, he certainly 'keeps the faith' so to speak.

I know Keith Barnes very well also, most amazing Motown collection you'll ever clap your eyes on, went round his house a while back, mindblowing collection! hypo.gif

Simon

its great to hear a punters view rather than the djs who played or the promters

ill get playlist up soon along with chris thorleys

moldie

I agree Moldie, but i also beleive a DJ is a punter too :thumbsup:

I agree Moldie, but i also beleive a DJ is a punter too :thumbsup:

a dj is indeed a punter but ive seen djs embelish the write up so it appears they havent played to a somewhat quieter night or a lesser filled dancefloor :shades: