So how was it? Let's hear about your weekend?

Starting this as a regular feature, wanting to hear about your adventures over the previous weekend. Obviously most interested in any Soul related activities but very little will be viewed as 'Off-Topic'.

Might be a good opportunity to talk about your local soul clubs, those smaller dos that are not discussed heavily.

Go for it, let's see what emerges?

Social source share

2 hours ago, LEN said:

Well it's been 'weddings, weddings, weddings' for me of late - What is the matter with people?! :D

This weekend gone, I was Best Man, and a 'Whiskey' prank I played went so much better than expected - Almost to the point of it back firing! 

I was downing huge measures of this bottle of 'Whiskey' as I was wading through my speech, but even after my first gulp, I could feel the slight 'comfortableness' in the room.......After I sank a few more, the wife (Nina) gave me daggers, and lipped....."No more"..... from the top table - At that point I had to cut the joke short, letting everyone know that it was in actual fact Peach Ice Tea :D

Apparently my daughter was saying....."I don't want Daddy to get drunk"......(She could see how worried mum was) You can see the relieved look on her face in one of the photos below.

Hopefully other posts on this thread will be 'Soul related' :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Great pics Len, lovely stuff there with the family, weddings are always brilliant dos.

Your story is a bit like mine about the eldest sons wedding, I did the same as you only with actual Chevas Regal.

I made some quite good gags at first and everyone was quite enjoying it until I turned to my lass and said I'd like to dedicate this one to my lovely other half, I then went into a chorus of 'Please release me let me go...'

It didn't end well.

1 hour ago, Soulsides said:

And it all started off so well with the best of intentions on Friday evening to get out and see some live music with friends who we're visiting and then the entire weekend somehow mysteriously vanished...

p3TIFra.jpg

Rat Ar***!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Went to another one of our small local dos this weekend. Atlantic Soul Collective, Caroline Dann is a lovely lady and good DJ with a cracking selection and knowledge of RnB and soul. This was a proper across the board event, great sounds and two very popular Cornwall lady DJs Caroline Dann and Jo March. A great evening at a lovely boozer out on Lelant Downs in the middle of nowhere close to St Ives the Balnoon Inn!

Anyone go to Soulfusion? A popular event attended by a great many of our friends from the scene. Unfortunately for us it's a seven hour round trip and we have a rule that if it takes longer to drive than to do the event then we don't often go, there are exceptions to that rule occasionally. We are unique geographically in the sense that almost every event takes longer to get to and costs a lot more in fuel than virtually anywhere else in the country.

Thankfully we have The Atlantic Soul Collective to ease that pain, thanks to them! Anyone down here for a visit is advised to look out for their events!

20180921_223520.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Thanks for the kind words @BabyBoyAndMyLass, although it was Dick's gig, not ASC, so he should take the credit - Caroline and Jo were just guesting 😉 

Jo's imagination finally outpaced us at 3 am. Then we were up early for an arduous trip to join the mods in Pontardawe for Soul Circle. A night of dancing to absolutely top quality R&B, Hammond grooves, mod jazz, ska and the like from Bill Kealy, Dave Weir, Glyn Preece, Neale Dewey and Mark Taylor. Great night and well worth the trip. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I can't remember where I went last weekend - But it was a heavy one! 

:D

Heavy.thumb.JPG.cd85935d215aeaf45e85d97bdd7abce6.JPG

Bit of a slow burner this thread, but good to hear from people as to what they got up to at the weekend on here, as well as reading reviews on separate event's threads :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Jerry Hipkiss said:

Yep, Soulfusion is one of my regular bookings so naturally I was there - another busy night from start to finish, as always a mix of the favourite tunes as dictated by the dancers, with a few underplayed things thrown in for good measure, the usual quality set from Ted Massey, regional DJ's with decades of experience in Jinksy and Don Palmer, plus the excellent Dean Carr, not to mention uptempo soulful and jazzy house in the second room hosted by one of the country's finest mix DJ's Paul Garland...must be why it's still going strong thirteen years on! And oh look, there I am at the bar...😀

Good one Jerry we keep hearing good things, hear you had Paul, and Kev at this one, Paul is here there and everywhere! My lass is mithering to go to one at some point, must dig my chauffeuring hat out! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, jack7toes said:

Thanks for the kind words @BabyBoyAndMyLass, although it was Dick's gig, not ASC, so he should take the credit - Caroline and Jo were just guesting 😉 

Jo's imagination finally outpaced us at 3 am. Then we were up early for an arduous trip to join the mods in Pontardawe for Soul Circle. A night of dancing to absolutely top quality R&B, Hammond grooves, mod jazz, ska and the like from Bill Kealy, Dave Weir, Glyn Preece, Neale Dewey and Mark Taylor. Great night and well worth the trip. 

I don't actually know Dick, although my lass has met him now, thanks to him then as well!

Now that's what I call a weekend!

Cheers Jack see you soon son! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

on the basis i'll never get to see them both again (almost definately), i swung by Venue 73 on Saturday to see Sid Barnes and Tommy Hunt once more.

I know they are in their mid 80's but i shut my eyes for a moment or two and it didn't seem so.

Social source share

Bloody 'ell...

Surely the esteemed membership must be doing more with their weekends than this thread would suggest?

Elsewhere hearing about folks who are tearing up dancefloors at Soul events week in week out...

Pity us, we are poor folks who dwell in that sleepy backwater that is the extreme western peninsular, coupled with our work commitments (she works in a Hospital weekends and I'm a busy Cabaret artist) what is everyone doing? Surely not feet up Saturday night and Ant and Dec?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!