chalky

Hiding forums

Is it possible to hide certain forums in New Content on an ipad.  

I can do it via the boxes across the top but they reset everytime I refresh.

All I am seeing is basically freebasing on what is supposed to be a soul forum and I want to get rid or hide all the brexit rubbish etc. 

Edited by chalky

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Is it possible to hide certain forums in New Content on an ipad.  

I can do it via the boxes across the top but they reset everytime I refresh.

All I am seeing is basically freebasing on what is supposed to be a soul forum and I want to get rid or hide all the brexit rubbish etc. 

on the activity page if you click the green  tick it should save your preferences

but can understand concerns as there's a lot of offtopic noise being posted

we will take a look at things tomorrow

3 hours ago, mike said:

on the activity page if you click the green  tick it should save your preferences

I'm monitoring those discussions, not  seeing a problem. That particular area is coming up at the top of new activity because it's currently the most popular discussion on the site. Most of it is pretty much bang on topic.

Thing is that area isn't meant to be pure soul talk. If folks want to see the new activity minus these threads all they have to do is click on the forum they want to read, the dedicated soul forums for example.

I understand that some people want to avoid the Brexit discussion, that is fine, and is so easy to do. Those wanting to discuss Brexit are in the correct threads in the correct area, as I see it.

1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I'm monitoring those discussions, not  seeing a problem. That particular area is coming up at the top of new activity because it's currently the most popular discussion on the site. Most of it is pretty much bang on topic.

Thing is that area isn't meant to be pure soul talk. If folks want to see the new activity minus these threads all they have to do is click on the forum they want to read, the dedicated soul forums for example.

I understand that some people want to avoid the Brexit discussion, that is fine, and is so easy to do. Those wanting to discuss Brexit are in the correct threads in the correct area, as I see it.

I and many others are seeing a problem.  The forum is dominated by off topic discussion (as in not about soul music) in freebasing. I don’t care whether they discuss shite like brexit or not, all I asked was can I hide the forum in new content permanently via the ipad.  I don’t want to see it, I looked at New Content yesterday and there was very little outside of brexit, no point coming to the site for many.  

4 hours ago, mike said:

Thanks Mike, not sure I can save on the ipad but will look at it. 

6 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Should be a way to personalise one's own 'New Content/Activity feed somewhere hidden away .

Every other forum I'm on has the option to filter out  (or rather not display)  any or all of the content from the whole range of content available.

It's a similar thing to wading through all the snapshots that used to plague the site a while back , I was mightily relieved when that was tidied up and I hope very much that the same can happen here.

There appears at first glance to be a filtering option but it has never worked here for me , everything just reverts to the same old as soon as you return to the Activity stream.

6 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

This is a fourm for northern/rare soul though not politics.

I come on here for soul music only, maybe a bit of footie at times.  I see the politics amd other rubbish everywhere else. If people wish to discuss other nonsense fine but why should it show on new content?

several times yesterday I came on the site and saw  nothing but brexit in the new content and I just went somewhere else.  It was discussed elsewhere very recently by many who no longer bother coming here or rarely bother which is a shame.  The politics and freebasing is detrimental to the site in my opinion. 

When I get on a desktop or laptop I will lookmat my settings but mobile vuews always seem to differ. 

16 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Should be a way to personalise one's own 'New Content/Activity feed somewhere hidden away .

Every other forum I'm on has the option to filter out  (or rather not display)  any or all of the content from the whole range of content available.

It's a similar thing to wading through all the snapshots that used to plague the site a while back , I was mightily relieved when that was tidied up and I hope very much that the same can happen here.

There appears at first glance to be a filtering option but it has never worked here for me , everything just reverts to the same old as soon as you return to the Activity stream.

we are looking and talking about this right now

ask all bear in mind that this is just one topic that was busy yesterday but may not be tomorrow so do have to be careful when deciding/making changes etc etc

on the activity/unread feature am checking on this as it should offer 'filtering' however with the various devices  the site displays on then it takes time to check 

I will post later on today best method to filter once checked 

Didn't know there was a Brexit thread, nor even that there was a Members Downtown forum until the posts here. I do have content settings customised to filter out certain stuff, and clearly it works - and across all my Apple devices. 

Now if only there was a way to filter out specific threads (perhaps something for a thread of its own)... 

7 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

It was bound to happen in there, someone starting a Brexit thread.

Perhaps one of the moderators should have a quiet word in the ear of the Perp.

Guide to using the activity /new content feature

The activity stream features allows you to run various 'custom' activity streams as well as the generic site 'New Content' feature

A brief guide follows below

To add your own custom stream -(eg choose what shows in your activity feed)

goto  https://www.soul-source.co.uk/discover/

click the 'Start New Stream' link and follow the process

Note you can select the cog icon at the side of any content type to select specific items under that content type. Such as a specific forum.

on mobile/tablet screens - hit the hamburger menu - then choose the activity>start new stream link

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once created the stream will show on the main menu as per the image below (top red arrow)

you can then 

1. Make any stream default

hit the TICK icon next to the streams title (see image below)

2. Edit any stream and save as a new stream

hit the PENCIL icon next to the streams title (see image below)

3 Delete any custom stream

hit the TRASH icon next to the streams title (see image below)

streams.jpg

after hitting the Default TICK

your activity stream will show as per below

streams2.jpg

7 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Perhaps one of the moderators should have a quiet word in the ear of the Perp.

I'm fine with you having a chat about Brexit.

Not in the soul forums though, hence the locked thread. If it was satirical then I did get a laugh out of it.

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

I thought your post was about the brexit poll thread. Yes the one in AATS was a bit of nobble meant for Chalky, Mike and I spoke about it at the time.

I didn’t read or see yer nobble 😜 i don’t care what you discuss I just wanted the ability to no see freebasing.  Stiil showing freebasing so think I will have to wait till I am on desktop or laptop. 

No mate you wouldn't have, the post was removed awaiting moderation. I'm sure if you asked they would restore it. Hope you're good, give my love  to Andy Dyson. 

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

No mate you wouldn't have, the post was removed awaiting moderation. I'm sure if you asked they would restore it. Hope you're good, give my love  to Andy Dyson. 

All good mate, long time no see.  Will pass on yer love :)

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.