One Super-Rare Item For Sale

Pete S

This is Butch Baker - Batman At The Go Go / Robin At The Go Go on St. Lawrence 1010. So what I hear you say? Well until recently, this was not even thought to exist. There are demo copies around, but due to an injunction by the makers of the Batman series, the record was withdrawn before stock copies could be manufactured. Or so they thought. Ask John Manship how rare this is...he told me he only saw a copy for the first time last year when one was found in Germany.

Condition is pretty nice. Apart from some minor noise right on the run in, although it's been well played I would still grade it as EX, EX- at the very worst. It has some residue where a sticker was removed and some rubbing of the label wither side. The rest of the label will come off if soaked for long enough. The B side - which is called Robin At The Go Go and not Working At The Go Go like the subsequent issue, still has a sticker which once again can be removed if done properly.

All in all a really nice piece which you won't see advertised again for a long time. I'm asking £250 for this one.

(p.s. the dark patch to the right of the sticker residue near the centre is where the label was still damp after I cleaned the record, it's now faded back to normal pink)

pete.smith@freeuk.com

petesmithrecords@hotmail.com

01902 893569

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest melandthensome

I had it for years on a white demo and only got a ton 4 it when I sold it some years ago.

A all-time Rare Soul classic inst in my opinion always remember hearing it way back in around 1972.THE RARE SOUL ERA........memories....... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I meant to write "half a dozen" and yes I have. Do you want me to post a scan of my copy? It's also not messed up with tape all over it like yours is. I'll post it when I get home. I live in Chicago, so I guess you must know a lot more about the rarity of Chicago records since you're in the UK.

So the worlds most foremost soul collector has never seen it until recently but you're tripping over them on the mean streets of Chicago. Bully for you.

Anyway I just sold it so I couldn't give a toss. Come to England and see 10,000 copies of the one you've never seen.

Social source share

Congratulations on your sale. "the world's foremost soul collector" has all sorts of misinformation on Chicago soul and soul from other cities. I used to see that johnny moore on the blue jadan all the time, in the last few years he decided that that was worth a ton (the orange one is way rarer, I've only found it maybe 3 times). At any time, you can pull up his auctions and pick out all sorts of misinformation. Last time I checked, he was describing some Ole-9 title as "chicago soul". There are also some extremely rare titles in Chicago that book low, for example, the flairs on rap is extremely rare in Chicago because all the stock was sent to the UK. The current big darrow fletcher on jacklyn was the one that was the hit in chicago, I used to see that in like every crappy collection I looked at, the other two darrow fletchers are way rarer, at least in Chicago.

Social source share