• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

10 minutes ago, mike said:

The last #northernsoul #weekender of its kind

dunno if a promoting angle or maybe being relaunched/rebranded

maybe someone involved can expand?

Mike. As far as I'm concerned the last weekender of its kind was when they last had live acts on. No disrespect to Kev but Prestatyn without the artist,s doesn't seem right in my humble opinion.  

Steve 

Social source share

Pardon me but in what way is the last one of its kind? (not being awkward - just not sure).

As regards live acts - for me, certainly on the 60s side, it's to be expected that appearances are tailing off to a fair degree.

I always found live performances (other than for the sake of having seen the artist in the flesh) somewhat irrelevant - but then it was ALWAYS what was on vinyl 45 (the perfect storm of writing, production, backing and vocal performance) that mattered to me - the only artists I ever saw that I thought were really notably good live (limitations down to age, quality of backing and performance) were Ray Pollard at the 100 Club mid-week before his first appearance at Yarmouth, the Originals at RS' birthday bash, Brenda Holloway and Bobby Patterson...

Though over the years we HAVE enjoyed spending quality time (away from the venues prior to and following the events) with artists who have turned out to be very nice and interesting people beyond their musical careers (having looked after a lot of them for Richard and Kev) - especially Jimmy Conwell, Frank Wilson, Barbara Lynn, the Originals and of course Brenda (though we, specially Pete were friends long before she made it over to perform).  

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

2 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Hope it's not like the last Wigan all nighters that went on and on and on..

If it makes money.....it will surely continue!

Ed

Ed. There was only 3 last ever nighters wasn't there. The official last one on the anniversary in September,  then October and the last of the last on Dec 6th or did I miss one in November? Can't remember 

Steve 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!