Jerry O

I'm trying to wrap up a book on Jerry Murray and would like to get it out before the end of the year. It's been on my back burner for many years. I have some questions that I can't get answered in the US even by the few folk who really knew him, e.g. Sammy Kaplan and Bernie Hayes. So here goes - Was he Tyrone Davis' cousin? Was he born in Greenville MS? He died in a car accident in Mississippi in the mid 70s but exactly where and when? As a child was he raised in St Louis or Chicago? A guy called Larry Payton worked with him in the early 60s, Payton had Larry O records, who was this guy? Art Morton owned the Soulville record store in Chicago, what street was it on? Why did `Oolya-Coo` / `Bacardi` ABC / Paramount #10787 get to the eleventh hout then got pulled? Finally, who was Joe Berry, the last release on Jerry O records? Is he the same guy as on Ron's? Or is it Jerry O with J E R R Y  O simply remixed? I'd really appreciate any help at all! Thanks.

Edited by Funky 4 Corners
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Funky 4 Corners said:

I'm trying to wrap up a book on Jerry Murray and would like to get it out before the end of the year. It's been on my back burner for many years. I have some questions that I can't get answered in the US even by the few folk who really knew him, e.g. Sammy Kaplan and Bernie Hayes. So here goes - Was he Tyrone Davis' cousin? Was he born in Greenville MS? He died in a car accident in Mississippi in the mid 70s but exactly where and when? As a child was he raised in St Louis or Chicago? A guy called Larry Payton worked with him in the early 60s, Payton had Larry O records, who was this guy? Art Morton owned the Soulville record store in Chicago, what street was it on? Why did `Oolya-Coo` / `Bacardi` ABC / Paramount #10787 get to the eleventh hout then got pulled? Finally, who was Joe Berry, the last release on Jerry O records? Is he the same guy as on Ron's? Or is it Jerry O with J E R R Y  O simply remixed? I'd really appreciate any help at all! Thanks.

I've seen Larry Payton spelt as Lorry Patton? this could be a BMI mistake of course.

Social source share

Hi Funky 4

The only info i seem to have is that Jerry Jerome Murray was a promo man and DJ in Chicago. Who recorded the 1965 ABC recording Boogaloo as Tom & Jerrio. Tom being Tommy Darke AKA Robert Tharpe who was a member of The Ideals who recorded on Paso and Concord,  Jerry Murray moved to Detroit in 1966 joining Sammy Kaplan's Boo-ga-loo label. But you probably know all this.

Dave

Social source share

Loads of info about tracks that Jerry O & Sammy Kaplan had connections to in this piece on the net (though it's in French, so needs translating) ...

https://soul-in-groove.eklablog.com/sammy-kaplan-jerry-o-story-a136938294

Loads of conflicting info on him on the web ... for instance ... he was born in January 1931 OR in October 39 ... not much difference there then. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I'm sure it won't be of any interest to you but his UK club biggie was released here on London on 3rd Nov 67 ... the same week that Oscar Toney's "Lead Your Woman To The Altar", a Mitch Ryder 45 (also on Stateside), Barbara Randolf's "I Get A Feeling" & Joe Simon's "The Girl's Alright With Me" came out here ...

DeccaUK45sNov4th67.jpg

Social source share

On 26/09/2018 at 20:26, Roburt said:

I'm sure it won't be of any interest to you but his UK club biggie was released here on London on 3rd Nov 67 ... the same week that Oscar Toney's "Lead Your Woman To The Altar", a Mitch Ryder 45 (also on Stateside), Barbara Randolf's "I Get A Feeling" & Joe Simon's "The Girl's Alright With Me" came out here ...

DeccaUK45sNov4th67.jpg

This is nice too, I only have the Blues & Soul ad from the UK! What music paper is this from please?

Social source share

On 26/09/2018 at 19:53, Roburt said:

Loads of info about tracks that Jerry O & Sammy Kaplan had connections to in this piece on the net (though it's in French, so needs translating) ...

https://soul-in-groove.eklablog.com/sammy-kaplan-jerry-o-story-a136938294

Loads of conflicting info on him on the web ... for instance ... he was born in January 1931 OR in October 39 ... not much difference there then. 

I'm in touch with Gerard, the guy who runs that site, he's as much in the dark as the rest of us!!

Social source share

On 25/09/2018 at 19:42, chalky said:

I've posted your questions in a Chicago Soul group on FB, lot of old time Chicago movers and shakers in there, they might be able to help.

Thanks Chalky! The Americans don't seem to be very bothered about trivia as we are, I live near a tourist attraction, Leeds castle and my local, the White Horsre gets its fair share of overseas tourists - anyhow, I got talking to two white guys, in their early 60s and from Chicago and said they were into Soul, so I got pretty excited. When I asked who their favourite artists was.....................Bruce Springsteen 🤣

Edited by Funky 4 Corners
Social source share

On 25/09/2018 at 21:13, the yank said:

According to a very brief bio on allmusic.com, Murray was born in St. Louis. He moved to Chicago in the late 50's where he was a disc jockey and promoter. He then  moved to Detroit in the early 60's. 

Thanks, I have addresses for both his Chicago and Detroit apartments.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert