45s used as stiffeners instead of cardboard

Modularman

Had this happen when i bought Little Tommy about 15 years ago - got stung badly on import tax but opened the box and found it stiffened with clean r&b 45s - copies of Randy Hobbs, Judy Clay on Ember and Willie Harper.

Edited by corbett80
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Had this happen a few times on one occasion a guy used several copies of Odds and Ends "Let Me Try" (Today) and another occasion several copies of Danny White "Loan Me Your Hankerchief" and "The Twitch" on Frisco amongst others.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

End of Wigan, Clifton Hall period I bought The Q - "That's the way" off Richard Searling. He enclosed a letter apologising for not having any cardboard and had used 2 acetates as stiffeners instead.

The 2 acetates were Eddie Holman - "Where I'm not wanted" and "Hurt".

Two of the biggest nighter sounds of that period !!!!

Bloody hell Richard find some cardboard next time..........

😲

• Up vote 2
Social source share

45 minutes ago, DaveK said:

End of Wigan, Clifton Hall period I bought The Q - "That's the way" off Richard Searling. He enclosed a letter apologising for not having any cardboard and had used 2 acetates as stiffeners instead.

😲

We have a winner!! 👍

Social source share

On 04/10/2018 at 21:06, DaveK said:

😲

You really want us to believe that?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I can't contribute much to this thread other than when my copy of Shirley & The Shirelles - Look What You've Done To My Heart arrived it had two 45's as stiffeners,  Meat Loaf - dead ringer for love & Van Morrison with Cliff Richard - whenever god shines his light :facepalm:  :dash2:  :) 

Social source share

Had this happen a few times over the years, think some of them have been soul 45s as protection, or in one case two more copies of the track I was buying, that was Ernie Andrews on capital that one, on the lp front I’ve had lots of great sleeves used as stiffeners of one bloke in the states, perfect nick but no discs:-( 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!