Amsterdam Russ

Freemasonry and Northern Soul

Thread title is a bit tenuous, but... I was watching the 5-part series "Inside the Freemasons" on Netflix last night.

To my mind it's a rather pedestrian fly-on-the-wall documentary let down by an almost complete avoidance of the history and development of freemasonry through the ages.

However, about half way through the third episode and the scene cuts away to a couple dancing in their kitchen. We had leather-clad bikers a bit earlier in the episode, and now we have Northern Soul (with a non-Northern soundtrack taken out of a music library playing while the couple dance about). Enter Dave Stubbs from Shrewsbury - he, if I'm not mistaken, of Shredded Wheat fame.

Anyway, Dave acquits himself very well, discusses his reasons for entering freemasonry, explains what he gets out of it, and we follow him as he is made the worshipful master of his lodge. For anyone who might not have seen the show and wants a peek, I believe it was also shown on Sky something-or-other earlier this year, and you can find it on Netflix via the link below. Anyone wanting to skip straight to Dave Stubbs' contribution, it starts at roughly 22 mins 30 seconds into episode three.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80240816

I was invited a few years ago.  I went to one meeting and meal but I just didn't and still don't have the time, working away meant I couldn't make the meetings.

15 hours ago, chalky said:

I was invited a few years ago.  I went to one meeting and meal but I just didn't and still don't have the time, working away meant I couldn't make the meetings.

People are not supposed to be invited to become Freemasons. Whoever it was that asked you broke Masonic rules and shows no understanding of them. The rule is simple: if you want to be a Freemason, you have to ask to be one and cannot be solicited. 

9 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

People are not supposed to be invited to become Freemasons. Whoever it was that asked you broke Masonic rules and shows no understanding of them. The rule is simple: if you want to be a Freemason, you have to ask to be one and cannot be solicited. 

That's the exact opposite of what I understand and the only people I know who are - were all 'invited' to join. Dx

19 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

That's the exact opposite of what I understand and the only people I know who are - were all 'invited' to join. Dx

In the USA, Freemasons use the slogan 2BE1 ASK1 to emphasise that you have to ask to become a member. The United Grand Lodge of England, being a tad more reserved, advises that people interested should contact their local lodge and express their desire to join.

AD9EF1AE-D72A-4078-B2D7-46B90C0DE9D3.jpeg.34413d8dbd7f50e426e7286b413bf540.jpeg

I don’t doubt that many people are invited to become masons by existing members, but doing so is completely wrong.

" I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would accept people like me as a member ".  Always seen the Freemasons as a bit of a joke outfit  to be honest . or at best a buisness  networking and backslapping society.

Edited by carty

55 minutes ago, carty said:

" I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would accept people like me as a member ".  Always seen the Freemasons as a bit of a joke outfit  to be honest . or at best a buisness  networking and backslapping society.

I as a Freemason would like to say that we raise over £33 million a year that is distributed over various charities  worldwide so we’re not a joke outfit and the opening quote was quoted by Groucho Marx which was aimed at the Frairs Club Of Beverly Hills which was a private show business club. I’ve never experienced any networking or backslapping and I’m an 18th degree mason. 

9 hours ago, philb said:

I as a Freemason would like to say that we raise over £33 million a year that is distributed over various charities  worldwide so we’re not a joke outfit and the opening quote was quoted by Groucho Marx which was aimed at the Frairs Club Of Beverly Hills which was a private show business club. I’ve never experienced any networking or backslapping and I’m an 18th degree mason. 

I thought the networking bit was the reason some want to join - Not saying anything wrong with a group of people helping each other out / recommending each other etc (There's lots of Breakfast Clubs that do just that) Maybe these people get 'Black Balled' though.

I don't suppose you can give more insight being as it's based on secrecy. So presume there's a lot more to it.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Hi Len,

some may think it’s an automatic lift up in society if they join but believe me they are severely disappointed when it doesn’t happen, it’s against the bylaws to join for personal gain, for me it’s about learning ritual (this is no secret as it’s all over the internet) meeting new people and raising money for good causes, Worldwide and regional so all London Freemasons will have a main charity pot which last year helped towards a new air ambulance and new emergency vehicles, this year we are raising money for two extended height access vehicles for the London fire service, places like Middlesex , Essex, Kent etc will have similar the social side is great my wife loves it lots of dinner dances, we have sports and social clubs, golf, shooting, crown green bowls etc.

Hope this helps,

ATB

Phil

F5DB8DD0-A815-4938-972D-356A8B81202E.jpeg

Edited by philb

1 hour ago, LEN said:

I thought the networking bit was the reason some want to join - Not saying anything wrong with a group of people helping each other out / recommending each other etc (There's lots of Breakfast Clubs that do just that) Maybe these people get 'Black Balled' though.

I don't suppose you can give more insight being as it's based on secrecy. So presume there's a lot more to it.

All the best,

You could always watch the programme I mentioned right at the start. 😉

17 minutes ago, philb said:

Hi Len,

some may think it’s an automatic lift up in society if they join but believe me they are severely disappointed when it doesn’t happen, it’s against the bylaws to join for personal gain, for me it’s about learning ritual (this is no secret as it’s all over the internet) meeting new people and raising money for good causes, Worldwide and regional so all London Freemasons will have a main charity pot which last year helped towards a new air ambulance and new emergency vehicles, this year we are raising money for two extended height access vehicles for the London fire service, places like Middlesex , Essex, Kent etc will have similar the social side is great my wife loves it lots of dinner dances, we have sports and social clubs, golf, shooting, crown green bowls etc.

Hope this helps,

ATB

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I've known some Free Masons, and they happen to have been not very nice people, so have to admit, that gave me a negative insight, and assumed lots are just greedy people. But really, like all walks of life, there are the not so nice people as well as the gooduns - And your experience shows more of the latter.

N.B - I deleted your photo from your quote simply so we don't clog up the thread - It's a nice photo :wink:

No problem Len, that was taken last year at the tercentenary celebrations in the Royal Albert Hall, I think it got a bad reputation years ago and it stuck, today is a different matter, it’s all about building yourself in to being a better person through  the three degrees in craft masonry through learning and it’s not easy trying to memorise large amounts of text especially at my age. 

Phil. 

Edited by philb

12 hours ago, philb said:

18th degree eh?   Impressive .

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.