Philly Groove Records

Guest lolmil

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If memory serves me correctly, The Intruders were on this label as well.

your memory ,you only look 25 :thumbsup: ,some cracking stuff by the intruders,also think their best output was on gamble fav intruders track is devil with an angels smile.Did not know there cut tracks for philly groove ,know there done stuff for el cee,excel,gowen,musicor and obviously tsop.

BAZ A.

Social source share

If memory serves me correctly, The Intruders were on this label as well.

Don't think your memorys serving you very well on this one Maverick, I'm sure the Intruders did'nt record for Philly Groove. Would be happy to be proved wrong tho. Kent put out a couple of Philly Groove comps a few years ago. Deep and Deeper in the Philly Groove CDKEND 115 and167.

Love the Finishing Touch track too, picked up a promo copy recently.Is yours a stock copy Lolmil? Would like to hear the B side if it is.

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Hi, This arrived to day (Finishing Touch), anyone recommend any others on this label.

Great label this!

Delphonics - "I Told You So"

Delphonics " Loving Him"

First Choice -"One Step away

First Choice - "Gonna Keep On Loving Him"

Mary Holmes - "I Need Your Lovin"

Tapestry - "Big Stone Wall"

Ben Aiken - "One And One Is Five".... A few tips! :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

your memory ,you only look 25 :shades: ,some cracking stuff by the intruders,also think their best output was on gamble fav intruders track is devil with an angels smile.Did not know there cut tracks for philly groove ,know there done stuff for el cee,excel,gowen,musicor and obviously tsop.

BAZ A.

Hey...my dad was a DJ...and I will be inheriting his collection! :thumbsup:

Their best stuff was on Gamble, especially TO BE HAPPY IS THE REAL THING (1973). :shades:

Don't think your memorys serving you very well on this one Maverick, I'm sure the Intruders did'nt record for Philly Groove. Would be happy to be proved wrong tho. Kent put out a couple of Philly Groove comps a few years ago. Deep and Deeper in the Philly Groove CDKEND 115 and167.

Love the Finishing Touch track too, picked up a promo copy recently.Is yours a stock copy Lolmil? Would like to hear the B side if it is.

Cheers Paul

Paul, yeah you are right! blush.gif I didn't have my notes with me...I got it mixed up with the TSOP stuff they did, A NICE GIRL LIKE YOU and PLAIN OL' FASHIONED GIRL both from 1974's ENERGY OF LOVE. :shhh:

Social source share

'Loving Him' Philly Groove 157 (1968) :thumbsup:

There's a great girl version of this too but I can't think who and what label. One of the Kent CD comps includes the extremely wonderful unreleased Northern dancer 'You'll Get Enough' from the Delfonics. It's also around on a US issued 45 too

Social source share

Great label this!

Delphonics - "I Told You So"

Delphonics " Loving Him"

First Choice -"One Step away

First Choice - "Gonna Keep On Loving Him"

Mary Holmes - "I Need Your Lovin"

Tapestry - "Big Stone Wall"

Ben Aiken - "One And One Is Five".... A few tips! :thumbsup:

steve

Nice list Steve.

"I Told You So" old (short lived) Wigan spin. Came out over here too! (UK Bell)

"One Step Away" was always one of the most played tracks on my Pub Jukebox back in '73 and I always rated it (Flip to the hit "Smarty Pants).

Not played it for years. Going to hunt it out RIGHT NOW!

:shades:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nice list Steve.

"One Step Away" was always one of the most played tracks on my Pub Jukebox back in '73 and I always rated it (Flip to the hit "Smarty Pants).

:thumbsup:

Sean

Don't forget about the Blossoms version of 'One Step Away', on US Bell, either. A Stan Watson-Thom Bell production and thus a Philly Groove record, in spite of not being actually on PG. Has the same backing track as the First Choice version too, I think - and a great version of the Delfonics 'Break Your Promise' on the other side.....

TONE :shades:

Social source share

Cheers Paul

Sorry Paul, Promo also i'm afraid.

Loll

Social source share

Usual question from me....Can anyone add anything ?

Philly Groove 150 - The Delfonics - La-La Means I Love You / Can't Get Over Losing You - 1968

151 - The Delfonics - I'm Sorry / You're Gone - 1968

152 - The Delfonics - Alfie / Break Your Promise - 1968

153 - Billy Bass - I Need Your Love So Bad / I'm Coming Too - 1968

154 - The Delfonics - Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love) / Somebody Loves You - 1968

155 - The Crusaders - Be My Girl Friend / You Pay For Love - 1969

156 - The Delfonics - Funny Feeling / My New Love - 1969

157 - The Delfonics - You Got Yours And I Got Mine / Loving Him - 1969

158 - Mary Holmes - I Need Your Lovin' / I'll Make It Up To You - 1969

159 - Coupe De Villes - So Long, Goodbye, It's Over / When Times Are Bad - 1969

160 - Coupe De Villes - Goodbye Pain / Face The Future - 1969

161 - The Delfonics - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time) / Down Is Up, Up Is Down - 1969

162 - The Delfonics - Trying To Make A Fool Of Me / Baby I Love You - 1970

163 - The Delfonics - When You Get Right Down To It / I Gave To You - 1970

164 - Nat Turner's Rebellion - Love, Peace And Understanding / Getting Higher - 1970

165 - Ben Aiken - One And One Is Five / When The Bottom Falls Out - 1971

166 - The Delfonics - Hey! Love / Over And Over - 1971

167 - Ben Aiken - Follow The Lamb / Not Goin' To Let You Go - 1971

168 - Ben Aiken - When The Bottom Falls Out / Not Goin' To Let You (Talk To Me That Way) - 1971

169 - The Delfonics - Round And Round / Walk Right Up To The Sun - 1971

170 - Broadway Express - Didn't We Make It / Puff, Puff (You're Gone) - 1972

171 - Nat Turner - Ruby Lee / You Are My Sun Sign - 1972

172 - The Delfonics - I'm A Man / Tell Me This Is A Dream - 1972

173 - Ben Aiken - Glad To Be Your Lover / Handle With Care - 1972

174 - The Delfonics - I'm A Man / Think It Over - 1972

175 - First Choice - Armed And Extremely Dangerous / Gonna Keep On Loving Him - 1973

176 - The Delfonics - Baby I Miss You / I Don't Want To Make You Wait - 1973

177 - The Delfonics - Start All Over Again / Alfie - 1973

178 - David Lasley - One Fine Day / Merry Go Round - 1973

179 - First Choice - One Step Away / Smarty Pants - 1973

180 - Tapestry - Big Stone Wall (Around Your Heart) / Eyes - 1973

181 - ?

182 - The Delfonics - Seventeen And In Love / I Told You So - 1973

183 - First Choice - Newsy Neighbours / This Little Woman - 1974

184 - The Delfonics - Hey Baby / Lying To Myself - 1974

200 - First Choice - The Player Part 1 / Part 2 - 1974

201 - Finishing Touch - Second Best (Is Never Good Enough) / Your Love Has Put A Spell On Me - 1974

202 - First Choice - Guilty / Wake Up To Me - 1974

203 - Finishing Touch - Sunshine And Promises / Second Best (Is Never Good Enough) - 1975

204 - First Choice - Love Freeze / A Boy Named Junior - 1975

Social source share

Couple more for you:

Flashlight - Beware she's pulling my strings - US LP only, until Joe Boy issued it on 45 here in 2001

Mary Holmes - I need your lovin' PG158

You just jogged my memory on something Paul. I was out somewhere record hunting with Ralph Tee recently and spotted the Flashlight track on a Philly Groove 12" which I suggested Ralph buy. I was skint as usual other wise I would have snapped it up myself !

The Flashlight abum it comes from has another great track 'Who Am I' which had previously been out on 45 as by 'The Quickest Way Out'

Social source share

My heads gone into overdrive. A mate who runs a licencing company had some of the Philly Groove catalogue on his files about twelve years ago but all they were the backing tracks for some reason. I got some stuff from him then including the backing track of 'La La Means I Love You' which is just wonderful. I'm pretty sure they've been out legally on CD since.

Social source share

Hey...my dad was a DJ...and I will be inheriting his collection!

Their best stuff was on Gamble, especially TO BE HAPPY IS THE REAL THING (1973).
:rolleyes:

Paul, yeah you are right!
:shhh:
I didn't have my notes with me...I got it mixed up with the TSOP stuff they did, A NICE GIRL LIKE YOU and PLAIN OL' FASHIONED GIRL both from 1974's ENERGY OF LOVE.
:lol:

Nice LP Maverick, love their version of "Be Thankful For What You've Got" also on there. Both the tracks you mention also came out on 45 too, "Nice Girl Like You" over here in Holland too in a most attractive picture sleeve and Germany but with a diferent picture. Neither of which are the topless version of the LP cover!

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Nice LP Maverick, love their version of "Be Thankful For What You've Got" also on there. Both the tracks you mention also came out on 45 too, "Nice Girl Like You" over here in Holland too in a most attractive picture sleeve and Germany but with a diferent picture. Neither of which are the topless version of the LP cover!

Cheers Paul

Yes they did...it's been years since I heard the entire LP! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nice list Steve.

"I Told You So" old (short lived) Wigan spin. Came out over here too! (UK Bell)

Not played it for years. Going to hunt it out RIGHT NOW!

Sean

Sean, didn't know "I Told You So" got plays at Wigan!

They Must 'av liked "One Step Away" seeing as it's ont flip ov "This Is The House" on Scepter too! :lol: Which IMo shuda been on Philly Groove itself! Often wondered if it is the missing 181 slot out ov the discography?? Like ya say on Philly Groove 179 it's flip to that dreadful "Farty Pants" record! :lol:

"Gonna Keep On Loving Him" is a long time fav ov mine, and again a flip, this time to "Armed And Extremely Dangerous"

"Keep It In The Philly Groove" :lol:

steve

Social source share

any sound clip of the flashlight track.

BAZ A.

As no one else has I'll post it up. Cant work out how to reply to a post and put a sound clip in so it'll be in the next post!

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

They Must 'av liked "One Step Away" seeing as it's ont flip ov "This Is The House" on Scepter too! :thumbsup: Which IMo shuda been on Philly Groove itself! Often wondered if it is the missing 181 slot out ov the discography?? Like ya say on Philly Groove 179 it's flip to that dreadful "Farty Pants" record! :D

steve

If memory serves me right (and I think it does) "This Is The House" was also on the "Armed & Extremely Dangerous" LP.

I think the track 'just' pre-dates the Philly Groove issues. Very soon after its release on Scepter the Girls were signed to Philly Groove.

Long ago, I heard that "This Is The House" backed with "One Step away" was scheduled for release on UK Pye (and that Test Pressings and 'Promos' were produced - Pye int 25613). but the deal had to be pulled as distribution (of Philly Groove) was then with Bell (in the UK) (whereas Scepter / Wand would have been with Pye).

Never had or seen one though!

Anyone got one? Scan?

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

If memory serves me right (and I think it does) "This Is The House" was also on the "Armed & Extremely Dangerous" LP.

I think the track 'just' pre-dates the Philly Groove issues. Very soon after its release on Scepter the Girls were signed to Philly Groove.

Long ago, I heard that "This Is The House" backed with "One Step away" was scheduled for release on UK Pye (and that Test Pressings and 'Promos' were produced - Pye int 25613). but the deal had to be pulled as distribution (of Philly Groove) was then with Bell (in the UK) (whereas Scepter / Wand would have been with Pye).

Never had or seen one though!

Anyone got one? Scan?

Sean

Think Pete Widdison had one many years ago.

There is still a missing good one. And I still cannot remember what it was. :angry:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!