The awesome Shotts Allnighters

Guest Modern Skiptone

No weren't seeing things Des, it was Bruce and the mob from Preston that put the cabbage on the dancefloor not sure why

The last time I saw Bruce, he had turned into a cabbage :D ......be some 15 years ago. Is he still around. Crazy lot. Not seen Docker from Preston either for years. Anyone ????

Thanks biggrin.gif .

Social source share

• Replies 141
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Very interesting reading and here's my story :

Grew up in Falkirk , Scotland and got into the scene via my mates big brother , ( when you've got a 20yr old trying to " come down " in his bedroom after a night at wigan and two 13 yr olds playing his newly bought records at high volume mid afternoon , it ain't happening !!!!! )

Started properly on the scene at Crown Hotel , Thornton , then regular from start at Glenrothes YMCA , until end , before the move to Shotts /Allanton Ruff Cut Soul Club .

Memories of these " hazy " days to numerous to mention !!!

But stand out points have to be in no particular order ,

Keb playing the Fabulous Impacts ( Moments ) 5 times in one spot at Glenrothes 1st Annv ,with the immortal words " Stomp you bast****s "

Bus to Morecambe with Edinburgh lot , 3rd Annv at Central Pier , put nighter bag on coach floor only to discover soaked when got there due to back of bus having a piss !

Record bar at Shotts , great records , great mates, greater prices at that time !!! and in winter you really felt those bogs !!!!

The whole scene in scotland was at it's best at that time with the quality of dj's and their set of records , Colin Law , The Walls brothers , Mark Linton , Andy Dennison ( Hi Andy, it's Scott Lister ) and Jock O' Connor , pure class !!!

Shotts for the music , the dj's , the people who travelled month in / out and the friendliness wins it all folks , hands down !!!

I must have known your mate's brother, who was that? I missed this time period, I was globe wandering at that time. Ady told me about Shotts though, I saw him last week actually, he was too drunk to talk but very happy! He has a young baby so isn't out as much now.

Social source share

No weren't seeing things Des, it was Bruce and the mob from Preston that put the cabbage on the dancefloor not sure why

[/quot

'Cabbage' was Bruce's prop that night. Cabbage was his friend. They were pals. Gear was proper good in those days... yes.gif

A'right H min, fit like? It's taken a wee whilee to find my way but I'm here noo. Is Pepsi aboard?

Social source share

'Cabbage' was Bruce's prop that night. Cabbage was his friend. They were pals. Gear was proper good in those days... :unsure:

A'right H min, fit like? It's taken a wee whilee to find my way but I'm here noo. Is Pepsi aboard?

Still got yer fez Alan, Allibaba soul. :huh:

The venerable Mustapha Lyne still has his fez, yes! :lol:

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

The last time I saw Bruce, he had turned into a cabbage :unsure: ......be some 15 years ago. Is he still around. Crazy lot. Not seen Docker from Preston either for years. Anyone ????

Bruce is still around, he's living in Newcastle now, i went for a pint with him, last season, after one of the matches, he's still daft as a brush, a cracking lad, spent many a happy night with the Preston nutter!

Social source share

Guest Modern Skiptone

Bruce is still around, he's living in Newcastle now, i went for a pint with him, last season, after one of the matches, he's still daft as a brush, a cracking lad, spent many a happy night with the Preston nutter!

A huge thanks for that Bri, really nice to know he's still on form.......what was the fixture Newcastle v Preston, was it a FA cup round.

Cheers Nick.

Social source share

Can do a 3rd anniversary dvd for anyone who wants one, no charge just send me your name and address.

cheers, Andy Dennison

Andy you're a gent; DVD arrived today.

...now for the x rated version off Aldo :rolleyes:

Social source share

about time you were on here Mr Walls. Allibaba soul indeed :shades: When you out then - next lifeline?

Bruce, I last saw him off his napper at a rave in Shelly's, Longton - Stoke on Trent about 91, one funny bloke.

Glad he's doing ok :rolleyes:

Social source share

Alan, do you remember you were djing and came down onto the dance floor at the front of the stage for a dance to one of yer tunes...you danced right up to the end of the track and were so engrossed in the music, even clapping at the end of record, and completely forgot you still had to get back onto the stage and announce your next tune :lol: ....Absolutely priceless mate, those were the days.

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Alan, do you remember you were djing and came down onto the dance floor at the front of the stage for a dance to one of yer tunes...you danced right up to the end of the track and were so engrossed in the music, even clapping at the end of record, and completely forgot you still had to get back onto the stage and announce your next tune :lol: ....Absolutely priceless mate, those were the days.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah... didn't someone have to nudge him to remind him :lol:

Social source share

I remember Mustapha Lyne funny as fook :lol: Pepsi not one for surfin t'internet mate, we'll have arrange a catch up soon Alan

Social source share

Alan, do you remember you were djing and came down onto the dance floor at the front of the stage for a dance to one of yer tunes...you danced right up to the end of the track and were so engrossed in the music, even clapping at the end of record, and completely forgot you still had to get back onto the stage and announce your next tune :( ....Absolutely priceless mate, those were the days.

Er, I was gripped by...by...Soul Fervour! That's it, Soul Fervour! (ahem!) :rolleyes:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jordibird

about time you were on here Mr Walls. Allibaba soul indeed :lol: When you out then - next lifeline?

Bruce, I last saw him off his napper at a rave in Shelly's, Longton - Stoke on Trent about 91, one funny bloke.

Glad he's doing ok :lol:

he's still off his napper he's still on a chemical holiday living in wallsend still attending soul do's and djing at st doms on byker bridge newcastle upon tyne rolleyes.gif

Social source share

post-290-1225918603_thumb.jpg

OK, I have been up the 'top cupboard' and found a flyer...

hopefully I can manage to post it up here for your enjoyment.

Its Scotland v England.

If I find anymore I will post them up, got lots from other places but struggling for Allanton at mo'

.................hopefully its here, msg says upload succesful

Edited by neiljon31
Social source share

Went quite a few times travelling from Northants area, was a brill nite sounds and people wise and definatly a good time in my soul life. We went first few times on Guys coach from derby train station, think they picked up at a pub Skipton? All ways remember being blocked and just buyin a paper at the sevices on the way home, think the Sunday sport had just come out anyway the headlines Man weds lettuce blew me away... it was a paper made for soulies on their homward trip!! Kev drage and myself drove a minibus picking Pete Hollander and the Crewe crowd up. I always got to drive over Shap summit on the way home, remember a Blizzard one time, I lost the colour in my sight for 2 days. Then we just went by car after that. 8 hrs each way. Remember talking to a Scottish lad who had relations in Corby, he asked if its rough reputation was justified, I told him a local saying " Go Corby for a laff come home in stitches" great times Chalky, Mick Howard, Rob Marriot, Gilly, Pablo, Ady Harley the real deal people I have a few photos but a lot of good memories. Kimbo.

Thanks for the 'mensh' Kimbo. Great memories of Shotts of being a punter most of the time but mainly 'cos Jim gave me a spot (1st one in 89). Although having spun a few tunes here and there I'd not done an all-nighter before so there I am all nervous & s**t cueing up my first disc, giving it some on the mic and the speed was at 33....... (I think I must have been on after Tom Jackson who probably had a 12" on before my 45) doesn't do ones confidence any good but anyway I managed to carry on and was on cloud nine when I got a round of applause at the end of the hour. Whilst not my discoveries by any means, some of the tunes I played (I think) were This Is It (Ron Baxter), Too Far To Turn Around (Stylettes), Girl Girl Girl (Danny Harrison), Pretty Girl (Phonetics), Always Be Mine (Shufflers), and now my mind's gone blank. There are a few photos of and on the way to Shotts in my photo album (Micks Memories) if anyones interested. Special mention to Jim O, Andy D, Alan & Steve W, Jock O, Keith W, Colin L, Jim T, Mark L, Tom J and all of the Scottish Soul crew plus the regulars from Stafford including Bernie, Phil, Guy, Keb, Ady, Dave B, Joan, Dave M, Roger, Jacqui (sorry if I've missed anyone) who were and mostly still are indeed the real deal. I still think of both Pete and Ozzy who were mates as well. KTF

Mick Howard

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful memories of Shotts.

Went up there quite a few times with Mark George, Pablo, Simon, Dave Alcock, Edwin etc

Both Mark and Pablo did guest spots and the crowd were just magic.

Anyone know what happened to Jo (i think Bluett) who moved up to Scotland. I always used to borrow Jo's camera and take loads of photographs - Jo have you still got them?

Jock you are and always will be a gentleman and a scholar.

Adey Hall - Yes after many years of searching did eventually get a copy of the Whispers - "It only hurts for a little while".

Mark (Gloucester)

Social source share

Wonderful memories of Shotts.

Went up there quite a few times with Mark George, Pablo, Simon, Dave Alcock, Edwin etc

Both Mark and Pablo did guest spots and the crowd were just magic.

Anyone know what happened to Jo (i think Bluett) who moved up to Scotland. I always used to borrow Jo's camera and take loads of photographs - Jo have you still got them?

Jock you are and always will be a gentleman and a scholar.

Adey Hall - Yes after many years of searching did eventually get a copy of the Whispers - "It only hurts for a little while".

Mark (Gloucester)

I see Jo whenever I go up to Edinburgh. She hasn't changed a bit.

That isn't you is it Mark Oliver?

Social source share

Hi All

Finally found a load of photographs of Shotts during the late 80's and have just uploaded them - see the picture gallery.

Mark

Mark your a f**kin star mate....great photos and the write up I`d never seen till now. Thanks a zillion, I can send you a dvd of the 3rd anniversary if you dont have one yet.

pm`d ya

Andy

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

• 3 months later...

I've got a few too, not sure whwre they are but hopefully will be able to dig them out - must get a copy of that video Andy, got a video copy but now knackered. Wish I'd got involved in this exchange earlier, Allanton is just about my favourite topic, what a great thing it was to be able to go to this - so lucky.

I remember meeting up with the gang in the old Liquor Shack in Glasgow's Hope Street beforehand where Nick Peacock DJ'd on a Saturday night. Then it was off to the Buckfast Triangle for night of unequalled Northern Soul. I went to the first Allanton with my mate Nick Rimmer in his mini from Crieff near Perth where I lived and we got lost, kept passing Condorrat village, again and again - we were still early for the nighter and ended up in the miner's welfare club talking to an old geezer.

Always enjoyed all the resident DJs, each had their own thing, each did their own thing well. Superb...thanks Jim.

Martin Gavin

Social source share

I am too old and tired mate, thats why my call to arms is to people like you, just suggesting sometimes its easier to start a revolution from within and harness small desires etc and build from there , sure it must be out there, although to be honest think its a far bigger challenge than ever!

If i did start it I would just forget to turn up!! whistling.gif

I still intend to visit Basics sometime as I actually played some of your post 1958 tunes that I seen playlisted before we knew what R&B was! :(

Off to bed!

Hey Jock,

Glad to see there's another Shepard Fairey admirer out there, I managed to get an original screen print poster about a year ago from a contact in USA, it's on the heavy quality paper and just minted.

It's only Rock and Roll,

but I refuse to be drawn in...Soul Power!

Martin Gavin

Social source share

Allanton was superb.

So many great memories of the place. First went there early 1988. Took the service bus from Glasgow Buchanan Street and it took about 4 hours to reach this wee tiny village in deepest Lanarkshire. Never forget walking into the hall with the stage covered in a huge stars and stripes and the music pounding out. The floor was always packed right from the word go.

Later on I ended up going out there in a transit van full of guys from Clydebank. Can still picture Big Lenny up on the floor dancing to Martha Starr. Great times. Big hole in the Scottish Scene since it closed over a decade and a half ago.

I found the music and the attitude of the place so inspirational. Would it be safe to say if it hadn't been for Allanton then in Glasgow there would have been no Goodfoot, Caledonian Soul or Friday Street to take the message on ?

all the best

Kev

Social source share

Allanton was superb.

So many great memories of the place. First went there early 1988. Took the service bus from Glasgow Buchanan Street and it took about 4 hours to reach this wee tiny village in deepest Lanarkshire. Never forget walking into the hall with the stage covered in a huge stars and stripes and the music pounding out. The floor was always packed right from the word go.

Later on I ended up going out there in a transit van full of guys from Clydebank. Can still picture Big Lenny up on the floor dancing to Martha Starr. Great times. Big hole in the Scottish Scene since it closed over a decade and a half ago.

I found the music and the attitude of the place so inspirational. Would it be safe to say if it hadn't been for Allanton then in Glasgow there would have been no Goodfoot, Caledonian Soul or Friday Street to take the message on ?

all the best

Kev

When we started Goodfoot in 1991 it was direct reaction to Shotts closing down, so yes there is some truth in that. The follow up Caledoniasoul also owed a lot to the Allanton Miner's Welfare in terms of attitude, maybe not so Friday Street, but that doesn't

mean that the FS team were any less fans of Allanton, never knew Mikey to miss one.

Martin

www.caledoniasoul.co.uk

Social source share

Totally off topic, and don't answer if you don't want to, but I'm intrigued......how can you be half-Catholic ? whistling.gif

I thought you either were catholic, or you weren't :lol:

And I have no intention of turning this into a religious debate either.

I'm in agreement Dave, half Catholic is not the same as half-Irish. My oldest son is half Scottish, but completely Catholic, my youngest is also half Scottish, but the other half (that is, he was born in England), and completely Catholic, or will be when he can say, Catholic. I'm not Catholic, but my wife is fully Catholic and this is another opportunity for me to promote my new, 100% secular Northern Soul night in Watford on Friday 27 March - at the probably Catholic Watford Irish Centre.

Amen.

post-2084-1237509668_thumb.jpg

Social source share

REALLY GOOD TO SEE THERE ARE STILL ABOUT ,WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE THEM AT A DO IN THE NORTH ,PASS ON MY REGARDS IF YOU SPEAK TO THEM.

BAZ A.

Yes, I did ask the inspirational duo to DJ at Caledoniasoul, but was about four years ago, Colin Law is on in Watford next Friday (27 March), see the flyer for 'Up the Junction' elsewhere on this thread.

Best,

Martin

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Quite simply what the rare soul scene is (was) all about. Shame we can't get back to this, tremendous niter sadly missed.

I remember the night the Jocks came down to the 100 for an England vs Scotland niter, they ripped the roof of the place, the first time I heard 'I'm gonna live up to what she thinks', bloody great days.

Great vinyl bargains from Roger B at Shotts also.

Jim :lol:

Social source share

VERY VERY FOND MEMORIES ,WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO ALOT OF THE CREW THAT GOT THERE ON A REGULAR BASIS.PEOPLE LIKE STEVE WALLS,[GREAT LAD AND GREAT KNOWLEDGE.USED TO LOVE JOCKS PARTIES BEFORE HANDS AS WELL,REMEMBER ONE OF THE MOST SOULFUL DJ SPOTS EVER FROM ADY HARLEY [iMPECCABLE TASTE].

FUNNY MEMORIES ALSO [COME BACK ROB MARRIOT].

BAZ A

ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THOSE AWESOME DAYS[GOOD TIME FOR SOULMUSIC DEFINETLY].

had some great nights up there,myself gaz stan giz larry {rip} and occassionally clik clark-where is he now ?. yes a great place with a lot of wonderful jocks.

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest Mr messyhead

Quite simply what the rare soul scene is (was) all about. Shame we can't get back to this, tremendous niter sadly missed.

I remember the night the Jocks came down to the 100 for an England vs Scotland niter, they ripped the roof of the place, the first time I heard 'I'm gonna live up to what she thinks', bloody great days.

Great vinyl bargains from Roger B at Shotts also.

Jim thumbsup.gif

Think that was 1991 matey - we had tour cards made (business cards) RUFF CUT ON TOUR - HAVING FUN IN 91 - STOMPING IN THE BIG SMOKE WE'RE ONLY HERE FOR THE ....Went to a soul nite in Northampton or Nottingham before hand (A BIT HAZY !!) remember Woody annoying a dj by putting his record on the deck every time the dj turned his back. Eventually got frisbee'd across the dance floor. Still got photos and card. Great Days.

Edited by Mr messyhead
Social source share

Guy's coach trips, Deans mini bus special...some great times just getting there thumbsup.gif great nighter, remember playing footie in the hall waiting for the coach to pick us up one morning :thumbsup:

post-225-1166212957_thumb.jpg

Only did one of Dean's/Guy's minibuses - first time I went - heaped teaspoons all round - was travelling with Ion and Mick Love (so started from a fairly 'high' baseline in the first place). I usually did it with the Swindon/Cheltenham lot or in the Crewe minibus. Fabulous night every time I went (only about 10 times) - records were SO cheap, music SO fabulous, people SO shot away - Mussleborough recaptured it to a fair degree - pity it got closed down.

Dave

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest laticsbluesmon

Think that was 1991 matey - we had tour cards made (business cards) RUFF CUT ON TOUR - HAVING FUN IN 91 - STOMPING IN THE BIG SMOKE WE'RE ONLY HERE FOR THE ....Went to a soul nite in Northampton or Nottingham before hand (A BIT HAZY !!) remember Woody annoying a dj by putting his record on the deck every time the dj turned his back. Eventually got frisbee'd across the dance floor. Still got photos and card. Great Days.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Harrison

Hi guys , was browsing through some old "Voices " mags this week , and found this article on the Shotts nighters .Hope you can read it ok ....Although I wasn't lucky enough to attend at the time [ young family etc ] my old mate Rob Marriott used to rave about the scene in Scotland at the time .Best,Eddie

Thanks for posting this article - very much appreciated Eddie. I do still own a complete set of Rod's Voices including spares, but like many things - there tucked away. Never been challenged enough to revisit them - even when people have requested copies in the "wants" section.

Always a great read and a essential source of information today as well as back then - priceless and enjoyable.

Thanks again.

Social source share

Hi guys , was browsing through some old "Voices " mags this week , and found this article on the Shotts nighters .Hope you can read it ok ....Although I wasn't lucky enough to attend at the time [ young family etc ] my old mate Rob Marriott used to rave about the scene in Scotland at the time .Best,Eddie

which copy of Voices is this article form Eddie? I'll see if I've got it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert