st.ives allnighters

Russoul1

Guest manusf3a

Thats it!!! is he a dustman up north somewhere? Lenny Jones was a manager in somewhere like focus in corby, did Sprouse die?anyone got a photo of Rugs not sure if i have got the right one in my mind, who was the lovely lady from rushden dark short curly hair she knocked about with another lady from corby and she had short blonde curly hair very slim.

Ivan was the dustman living up in bridlington,still,well up to a couple of years ago ,see Lenny prewtty regular he got sacked from focus for fiddling,sprouse lives next door to Lenny.(or did do a couple of years back)
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

kAREN AKA MUSCLES.....top girl.........RUG married a rushden girl and he is now dead.....drank himself to death l believe

Fucking hell that hurts
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

manus, I'm from peterborough originally and I'm sure our paths crossed a few times. you'll probably recall the white lion, bell & oak and the grapevine as haunts for people prior to all-nighters at the phoenix. monica was asking after you on facebook 'cos she initially thought I was you as my surname is mcmanus. take care.

Thanks mate nice of you to post,she was and still is no doubt a lovely giirl
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Am l talking to MANUS FALLON....i,ll assume l am....i,m tezza who used to knock about with MICK GAVIN R.I.P...we still get about to nighters mainly up north because they're better.........me,danny price,john mcclure and irish from cambridge hang out together........still having a ball atb terry

Terry I bet Irish can still spin the hell out of most,its good to hear from you,Iam cut up over Mick we all had some brilliant laughs tthen he was always up for anything and had a good sense of humour along with a tremendous love of gear,can you remember when him and glen liberated a long leather coat at St Ives and Lenny from corby put an advert in the telegraph saying it was an unwanted xmass present and to apply to the blokes mums house (who he still lived with at the time).How long has it been since Mick passed on ,I heard a rumour years ago but never wanted to believe it they didnt make many like him.Ive just come across this site and it gives me a real ",professionals,pick me up",coming across some of the comments .I havent been to an all nighter for decades past but am thinking of going soon .Isee samanthas has a revival every y now and again that sounds good.its right when they say iit doesnt go away the scene sure does live on inside you.Can you remamber what was behind the",Green door",of silvers chemist?ha ha.Are you still doing the martial arts?Keep on keeping on Tessa.
Social source share

St Ives for me was one of the great allnighters it had great atmosphere and heard many a great choon played there, started going in about 75/6

we used to catch a bus from Northampton to Kettering then get the coach outside Kettering police station about 11ish I think the pubs used to shut about 10:30 in them days. The coach used to be chocker....people would be sitting on the floor....

even queuing up to get in the atmosphere was fantastic, I can still smell the juicy fruit chewing gum,.. polo mints,...brute.......and benzedrex inhalers ....aaahhh them was good times .... loved it :thumbsup:

Here's a picture taken 75/6 outside on the morning after....me on the left....rubbish picture...we only had them crappy 110 cameras back then

usualy ended up going to notts palais alldayer on the sunday which used to have a more laid back feel then

I totally agree Val. I also followed it on to the palais dayers. Loved the St Ives nighters and spent a lot of time there!

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Terry,can you let me know a little bit more about Gav r.i.p I have been thinking about all the good times and crazy times we used to have ,he loved the whole thing the music,the gear,travelling the lot.I for one am glad to have known him and you were one of his closest mates.I havent been to Welling borough for many years and the last time there I stayed round Gillys one weekend when I believe Mick was still about ,like I said some years ago I heard a rumour but didnt want to believe it.Mick was the sort of person that makes the scene what it was and is all about,a scene made up of one off lads and girls from all round the country,we are lucky we have so many down here in lil ol Northants and cambs that were invoved in making it what it was.Going somewhere soon is very tempting but as you have mentioned it ,North,has the greatest appeal.I will have to get it together and go with a girl friend of mine who I have told all the stories to , she has got into the music and is chomping at the bit to actually go to an all nighter.They have had soul nights here for many years now but now I guess its time for me to start going to some again as if its any guide u t shows them to be okeh.Hope to catch up with you soon in person Terry

Social source share

Attended St. Ives several times in 77, drove up from South Wales a few times, but also went up on the Cheltenham coach.....seems a slight irony that I end up living there (Chetenham that is) just under 30 years later.....They were great times indeed!

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest Janiep
On 3/31/2008 at 22:18, Guest said:

Hi Skippy,  Jane here (Chick's ex wife). 

I am trying to find out how he is, as I have read on here, that he is not so good. We used to meet up every now and then, and always had a laugh together. I hooked up with him a few years back, and he seemed fine, but I left for the South of France 14 years ago, and it seems he is in a bad place.

Hope you are having fun down there in Cornwall.

Cheers
Janie

Hi Martyn brilliant day at chicks wedding! i remember most of his family great people, i know you im sure, sad about skin... wish i could find chick if you ever hear any news about him please let me know take care mate

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Blimey,   just come across this thread.      

as a 15 year old in 77,     our peers were all enjoying St Ives etc,   sadly i wasnt....  until Sept, when i got there , just in time i hasten to add, i believe it was the last one?       The Theatre (oldies room) was pitch black,  the main hall had the biggest speakers i'd ever seen ,   with a curved ? staircase near the entrance.    100 years ago it seems,    but i was glad they revived it for the all dayers in 79' .  lots of us from these parts went to those.  I know Ken Cox was responsible for EASC,    but no idea who organised the later all dayers.    top venue

Social source share

2 hours ago, IanP said:

Blimey,   just come across this thread.      

as a 15 year old in 77,     our peers were all enjoying St Ives etc,   sadly i wasnt....  until Sept, when i got there , just in time i hasten to add, i believe it was the last one?       The Theatre (oldies room) was pitch black,  the main hall had the biggest speakers i'd ever seen ,   with a curved ? staircase near the entrance.    100 years ago it seems,    but i was glad they revived it for the all dayers in 79' .  lots of us from these parts went to those.  I know Ken Cox was responsible for EASC,    but no idea who organised the later all dayers.    top venue

Wasn’t it a Spiral Staircase (not the group) that lead to the balcony, seem to recall in the middle of it.

Edited by theothertosspot
Mistype
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!