ljblanken

Good football match in London - 20 OCT??

Posted (edited)

My wife and I will be in London from 19-22 OCT. Can anyone suggest a reasonable match that we can get to from central London? It doesn't have to be Premier League - just something to get the flavor of British soccer!

Thx!

- Leo

Edited by ljblanken

Chelsea v Man Utd on the Saturday,  although probably sold out.

Brentford v Bristol City (Championship ) Saturday afternoon.  Old fashioned type ground, still got standing terrace behind one goal.  Always good atmosphere and direct trains every 15 minutes from Waterloo. 

Thanks guys! Would love to see a football ground with an actual "standing terrace" (just read "Bovver" by Chris Brown... would be interesting to see...)

8 hours ago, Stompingsevens said:

Forget all the premiership games then. Maybe try Reading vs Millwall if you want an 'authentic' football experience!

Millwall! I heard a Millwall fan single-handedly took on like 3 knife wielding terrorists?? Is that true??

Dang!

Brentford/Bristol City is sold out. 

Millwall match is away.

Premier league matches are crazy expensive. 

... are there any lower leagues playing? 

😪

4 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Charlton Athletic versus Barnsley in Division 1

Oh nice! I remember charlton athletic used to be in the premiership at one point? This sounds perfect. Thx!

1 hour ago, ljblanken said:

Oh nice! I remember charlton athletic used to be in the premiership at one point? This sounds perfect. Thx!

Barnsley are a fairly in form club at the moment, so it should be an interesting game.  Charlton's old ground used to have a capacity of 110,000, bigger than the old Wembley, at least that's what I've been told somewhere down the line.

The Latic’s Ground has changed a few times at The Valley but not sure it ever got 110,000 ... it did manage 75,000 a couple of times , and back in 74 , hosted a really good music concert that saw the Who top the bill to 75k .

My daughters partner is a massive fan and goes home and away with his Dad and I’ve been taken a couple of times, good crowd . New owners now and they are trying their best to turn things around and won 8-0 last night - against Stevenage in the Checkatrade T 

BDD99EE4-0E43-4E03-B637-38FB12726C4E.jpeg

Edited by stevegods

On 09/10/2018 at 03:53, ljblanken said:

Dang!

Brentford/Bristol City is sold out. 

Millwall match is away.

Premier league matches are crazy expensive. 

... are there any lower leagues playing? 

😪

Brentford match isn't sold out. Tickets restricted to season ticket holders at the moment. They will go on general sale soon, my son has gone a few times recently and paid on the gate.

22 minutes ago, stevegods said:

The Latic’s Ground has changed a few times at The Valley but not sure it ever got 110,000 ... it did manage 75,000 a couple of times , and back in 74 , hosted a really good music concert that saw the Who top the bill to 75k .

My daughters partner is a massive fan and goes home and away with his Dad and I’ve been taken a couple of times, good crowd . New owners now and they are trying their best to turn things around and won 8-0 last night - against Stevenage in the Checkatrade T 

Blimey, Maggie Bell, one half of Frankie and Johnny if I am not mistaken, Northern Soul gets everywhere :wink:                                                                                     Thanks for posting Steve, love seeing these old ads. :hatsoff2:

Yea ... always had a bit of a soft spot for her , with that hair and those lips ...

or was I thinking of Madeline Bell - doh .. 

Edited by stevegods

7 hours ago, stevegods said:

7 hours ago, stevegods said:

The Latics are Oldham Athletic, aren't they? I think you mean the Addicks (or Clowntown Pathetic 😀)

Thanks all! Got some very reasonable tix for this game (Charlton/Barnsley) online. Really looking forward to it.

We are big San Jose Earthquakes supporters (for whom George Best played back in the early 80s!), so will be nice to see some soccer on our vacation!

quakes.jpg

Edited by ljblanken

16 hours ago, daved said:

The Latics are Oldham Athletic, aren't they? I think you mean the Addicks (or Clowntown Pathetic 😀)

Doh .. Madeline Bell v Latics - Close in both but = what do I know 🤪

Edited by stevegods

17 hours ago, ljblanken said:

Thanks all! Got some very reasonable tix for this game (Charlton/Barnsley) online. Really looking forward to it.

We are big San Jose Earthquakes supporters (for whom George Best played back in the early 80s!), so will be nice to see some soccer on our vacation!

quakes.jpg

good to read you are sorted

let us know how it goes👍

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.