Guest ShaneH

• Replies 74
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i'm sure the new album is all well and good, but it really has nothing to do with...."Soul Source - rare and northern soul "though does it?

we discuss motown tracks that have sold millions on here so why not?

have we closed the door for good?

shane

Social source share

Sorry Shane but i'd rather listen to Etta James than some poor imitation.

Not only that, it's in the wrong part of the forum & who's gonna move it now youre gone :thumbsup: .

Should have used the clip player as well.

Tut tut.....

i need to figure this clip player out. sorry :shades:

i am happy for it to be moved. sorry again :shades:

shane

Social source share

i'm sure the new album is all well and good, but it really has nothing to do with...."Soul Source - rare and northern soul "though does it?

depends on how you look at things

I would say discussing the influence 60/70s soul music is having on current recording artists is a valid point

Social source share

Still crap :thumbsup: and fukc all to do with soul........ :shades:

:shades:

i tried the skiffle forum and they ridiculed me as well tongue.gif

ah well. i thought it might have gone down well with one or two.

still soul music to me but what do i know ken? i think i am going to go and finish that airfix model you bought me now :shhh:

shane

Social source share

:thumbsup:

i tried the skiffle forum and they ridiculed me as well :shades:

still soul music to me but what do i know ken? i think i am going to go and finish that airfix model you bought me now :shades:

shane

wacko.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Best UK voice in 40 years if not ever and a brilliant brilliant clever knowing classic pop album with soul and jazz influences. Probably too subtle for most on here but still.

It hasn't been off my CD player for the best part of a month.

Social source share

Best UK voice in 40 years if not ever and a brilliant brilliant clever knowing classic pop album with soul and jazz influences. Probably too subtle for most on here but still.

40 years,thats some boast :thumbsup:

Social source share

I believe its true Ken.. I really can't think of a better UK vocalist.

Her out of eastenders would wipe the floor,the one who left to sing,and i dont even know her name :thumbsup: sorry i cant take winehouse seriously,i`m sure she`s done some nice stuff,but none of the above :angry:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I see A.W out and about a lot in my neighbourhood and apparently she gets a bit sweary and lairy which is always good! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Her out of eastenders would wipe the floor,the one who left to sing,and i dont even know her name :thumbsup: sorry i cant take winehouse seriously,i`m sure she`s done some nice stuff,but none of the above :angry:

Ok Ken but I've never been a big fan of Wendy Richards myself. I think in terms of vocal prowess Wendy is good but Amy is much better. Plus I think Amy is stunning but then I have a thing for Jewish girls....

Mike_Sarne___Come_Outside.mp3

Social source share

we discuss motown tracks that have sold millions on here so why not?

have we closed the door for good?

shane

Not so much closed the door, more like pulled the ladder up. :thumbsup:

Me And Mr Jones......absolute pants

Tears Dry On Their Own.......excellent.

No sitting on the fence today.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Plus I think Amy is stunning but then I have a thing for Jewish girls....

I think she looks like that cross-eyed woman from "Carry on screaming"!!! ('cept the one from Carry on... is better lookin') :rolleyes:

post-1355-1165924054_thumb.jpg

post-1355-1165923940.jpg

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Amy is gorgeous as is Fenella Fielding. I had lunch with Fenella Fielding once. She's very, very nice and a little eccentric which is extremely attractive in a woman. But Amy sings better than Fenella so in this instance she wins hands down. Luckily, in the Soul world we dont judge people on looks, we judge them on talent. And given that most Soul singer are, by default, Black, maybe its good that we don't judge that way or most of the girls who's voices we know and love wouldn't get a look in. Of course some men prefer those tiny skinny identikit blondes that look like little girls with no disernable character traits at all other than pliancy which makes it easier for men to feel less threatened I suppose but perhaps best not go down that route. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I think she's okay and is a talented singer -I saw her on never mind the Buzzcocks and I thought she was quite funny and genuine too. I know it's not soul but you can see her influences obviously are and I like the fact she's a bit more raw than the likes of Joss Stone. When you sit in an office with Radio 2 on all day she's a nice diversion to Razorlight, Coldplay and 80s chart oldies I can tell you!

Social source share

There's no doubt that Joss Stone has great voice, and I'm certainly not putting her down at all but her voice is no better to my ears than hundreds of Black American girls and no better than UK girls like Juliet Roberts, Lisa Stansfeild, Ruby Turner or Beverly Knight. The sad fact is if she wasn't a young very pretty White girl she would have never have got a thousandth of the publicity she's had.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

:D

i tried the skiffle forum and they ridiculed me as well tongue.gif

still soul music to me but what do i know ken? i think i am going to go and finish that airfix model you bought me now :yes:

shane

You cant have an opinion ....... you never went to Wigan, now finish your airfix & shut it. Dont ya know that the copyright to what is & isn`t soul is well & truely in safe hands wicked.gif .

Love the album :rolleyes:

I see A.W out and about a lot in my neighbourhood and apparently she gets a bit sweary and lairy which is always good! :D

Ahem.............. trust you to like a stroppy bird :D:huh:

Social source share

It's funny this subject has come up.

I had Radio 1 on in the car the other day, and heard a track (not sure what it was) that was billed as her follow-up to 'Re-hab'.

I thought it was catchy and spotted a few samples in there (though couldn't place them).

On the strength on the 2 I've heard, I'd say I'd probably buy a copy [of the album] for my good lady and borrow it for the car smile.gif

Those with ears that listen beyond 1964-1969 will probably hear Soulful, Jazzy content.

I'm sure I read that she spent a lot of her childhood on tour with her Mother, who was a singer on the Jazz circuit?

Pleasant enough for me, anyways....

Jamie :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Joss Stone?

Over-rated because of her ethnicity.

Beverly Knight is leagues above her.

I like the tracks I've heard by Ms Winehouse. And thought her vocal performance on Rehab the most original and distinctive I can recall in recent memory.

It stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it.

Obviously, it doesn't sit well on these boards but shouldn't mean her talent cannot be respected.

Perhaps if it had only sold 14 copies world wide it would be an undiscovered masterpiece, unearthed to empty dance floors in years to come - perhaps that would suit the more supercilious contributors around here far more.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Joss Stone?

I will have to hear the others, but I know Joss Stone was huge here when her first CD came out. Even more interesting that Betty Wright worked with her on it.

Amy sounds promising to me...she reminds me of Norah Jones for some reason.

Social source share

anyone else heard it yet?

great stuff imo. will try and add a track or two if i can figure it out

shane

Bought it on the day of release and think it's brilliant. Best new material release CD I've bought for a seriously long time. Was hoping they were going to do a vinyl release but it seems not :angry:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Rather listen to Corinne Bailey Rae, Much better talent, IMHO,(AND she's from Yorkshire!) and will last a lot longer than Amy Sh**ehouse, mark my words :thumbsup: Speaking of Corinne's, Corinne Drewery of S.O.S. has a FAR better voice than AW, and must be one of the most underated female vocalists this country has produced for years. :rolleyes:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

You on my mind - corinne drewery/s.o.s. - fontana

12573 refosoul

Corinne Drewery's finest moment, arranged by the great Jimmy Webb. Not northern, or even soul, but one of the UK's most underated females in the last 20yrs IMHO of course!

post-1355-1165945933.jpg

Got to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BStl8ak1-0

for the video. Now THAT'S a good looking lady! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Rather listen to Corinne Bailey Rae, Much better talent, IMHO,(AND she's from Yorkshire!) and will last a lot longer than Amy Sh**ehouse, mark my words :thumbsup: Speaking of Corinne's, Corinne Drewery of S.O.S. has a FAR better voice than AW, and must be one of the most underated female vocalists this country has produced for years. :shhh:

I agree that Corinne's debut is just as good, but I also think it's comparing apples and melons. To me they have different styles and it seems to work for them. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

You cant have an opinion ....... you never went to Wigan, now finish your airfix & shut it. Dont ya know that the copyright to what is & isn`t soul is well & truely in safe hands :rolleyes: .

Love the album :thumbsup:

Ahem.............. trust you to like a stroppy bird :shhh::D

I can't write what she actually says to people but allegedly she hisses very rude words as she passes so when I see her I look at my feet and try not to make eye contact! :lol::yes:

Social source share

I can't write what she actually says to people but allegedly she hisses very rude words as she passes so when I see her I look at my feet and try not to make eye contact! :thumbsup::rolleyes:

she is an absolute fruitcake!

just like pop stars used to be

glad to see a few like her.

corinne bailey rae :shhh: bloody hell!

another nice tune off the album...

Social source share

Well I must admit I liked "Rehab" but I'm afraid the two posted above don't really do a lot for me - she sounds almost like a Saturday night karaoke singer :rolleyes:

Oh and, I'm no prude but somehow a certain word which is one letter different from the Unix command for File System Check sounds a little incongruous on a soul track n'est-ce pas? :thumbsup:

Thats partly the point I think... she is uniquely British coming from a space all of her own. It's what makes the album so great. The album has taken influences from all over and given them a totally new spin. A lot of it was recorded in the US with US musicians but lyrically it could only have come from one place..London. The term 'fuckery' was certainly in common West Indian use twenty years ago in the streets round here thats for sure. The albums about drugs, sex, drink, relationship and a few other things...just like R&B was in the 50's before eveything got cleaned up. And Amy sings like she knows what she's singing about. If you want bland 'singing by numbers' then there are thousands who do that and are marketed in a big way because that kind of stuff sells to the mainstream....just like Abba or the Carpenters, Simply Red or Joss Stone..they all sell to the same market. Thats why the biggest 'Soul' voices of the past few years have been glossy, safe, no rough edges singers like Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross and more recently John Legend.

Social source share

Thats partly the point I think... she is uniquely British coming from a space all of her own. It's what makes the album so great. The album has taken influences from all over and given them a totally new spin. A lot of it was recorded in the US with US musicians but lyrically it could only have come from one place..London. The term 'fuckery' was certainly in common West Indian use twenty years ago in the streets round here thats for sure. The albums about drugs, sex, drink, relationship and a few other things...just like R&B was in the 50's before eveything got cleaned up. And Amy sings like she knows what she's singing about. If you want bland 'singing by numbers' then there are thousands who do that and are marketed in a big way because that kind of stuff sells to the mainstream....just like Abba or the Carpenters, Simply Red or Joss Stone..they all sell to the same market. Thats why the biggest 'Soul' voices of the past few years have been glossy, safe, no rough edges singers like Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross and more recently John Legend.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!