• Replies 123
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hey up simon....

how about mello souls we can make it.....

Ellipsis has gone for far less over the years on ebay .. with modern Oldies its got to be Ronnie Barnes to Soul Sam ..and I dont think its been sold again

How about the Trent Sisters as well as Frank Wilson ?

The J Redd Cd is hard BTW

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

couldnt agree more ronnie barnes is a very hard one! still after it

But whose got one , or even a Scan a real impossible record !!

With the Crossover stuff ..I think its better to say 1969 to 1974 rares ?!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Ellipsis has gone for far less over the years on ebay .. with modern Oldies its got to be Ronnie Barnes to Soul Sam ..and I dont think its been sold again

The J Redd Cd is hard BTW

What Does The Trent Sisters Go For Now Then ?

I Bought One Off Pete Lawson At Stafford For 25 Notes , Cant Remember Wahat I Sold It For .

Social source share

What Does The Trent Sisters Go For Now Then ?

I Bought One Off Pete Lawson At Stafford For 25 Notes , Cant Remember Wahat I Sold It For .

Oh right , not my area at all really 60's ..I heard it was 2 to 5 copies . but never asked any of the Big boys about it !! .. Clarkie never knew it though and Im sure he wont mind me saying that !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Holy Grail, for collectors or dancers? If it's for the dancers then the Trent Sisters might be as rare as hens teeth but is it really that desirable? Not in the same league as say Mello Souls which would appeal to both, infact I'd say it's a pretty poor record.

How about June Jackson - You're Welcome on Musette, couple of known copies? same for Kell Osbornbe on Highland with just two known copies.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Frankie Lyman on Big Apple...anyone gotta soundclip of this?

Andy Dyson played it on Dean Anderson's show recently, which was recorded and posted on here - I'll have a look see if I can find it

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Andy Dyson played it on Dean Anderson's show recently, which was recorded and posted on here - I'll have a look see if I can find it

here you go ... is about 3rd track in - think was recorded only just before he died.

cracking tune and not heard it before - rare as hen's teeth though so don;t hold your breath!

Social source share

Holy Grail, for collectors or dancers? If it's for the dancers then the Trent Sisters might be as rare as hens teeth but is it really that desirable? Not in the same league as say Mello Souls which would appeal to both, infact I'd say it's a pretty poor record.

How about June Jackson - You're Welcome on Musette, couple of known copies? same for Kell Osbornbe on Highland with just two known copies.

Trent Sisters pretty poor??

No doubt it dont sound like a standard northern soul record, I can see why it wouldn't get played on that scene ... but to call it pretty poor's crazy. Little John's better though, that's my holy grail without a doubt

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Little Ron and the Esquires - I Found Someone must be close in terms of '60s Holy Grail - didn't think there was more than one copy of this (will be proved wrong now though) and not really been heard since Rushbrooke retired - did his copy go to Keb? As pretty sure he used to play it when still covered (Sims Twins?)

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Will add Junior MacCants only one copy of this I think which Tim Brown owns - think the copy Pat Brady used to play was an Emidisc cut from that copy

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

No doubt it dont sound like a standard northern soul record, I can see why it wouldn't get played on that scene ... but to call it pretty poor's crazy. Little John's better though, that's my holy grail without a doubt

Both Records Are Great , Both Played At Stafford By Keb . Little John C/U As Jimmie Ray Was The More NS One But There Are A Fair Few Records Played On The Scene That Are Not Standard northern Soul Records.

The Reason That The Trent Sisters Is Not A Big Record Is Because nobody Has Got a Copy.

Social source share

I agree Little John is far better, in fact it's damn good, and far more desirable thasn the Trent Sisters which I personally think is average, rare I grant you but average non the less, just my crazy opinion :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree with Chalky.

Trent Sisters reminds me of what a girl felt, on being introduced to me one Friday night in a Melton Mowbray pub..

this rather pretty lady.. said

"John Manship? ....I've heard of you"

she looked me up and down.. screwed her face up and chirped

"I'm so Disappointed!"

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Totally agree with Chalky.

Trent Sisters reminds me of what a girl felt, on being introduced to me one Friday night in a Melton Mowbray pub..

this rather pretty lady.. said

"John Manship? ....I've heard of you"

she looked me up and down.. screwed her face up and chirped

"I'm so Disappointed!"

:lol:

I bet she was the last one to say that , John ........

hope you are well .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Dear me ...that is a typical Keb Darge spin of the 80's .. What was that Del Capri's coverup?...

I had to walk outside when he put that on ..

:lol:

Trent Sisters Was Never C/U By Keb , The Del Capris Was 'Girl Dont Cry By The Natural Facts'

Social source share

60's / oldies / classics - Frank Wilson @ £15k

Modern-oldies / 70's / whatever - Elipses @ £3.5+k

R&B ?

Crossover - Natural Impulse @ ?

Modern - Black Box fall into love @?

What's the most expesive in each?

For x-over, and following discussions at the Bass we are going to have the Sy Hightower album included as it wasn't allowed in the "modern rarest" section.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I want the Trent Sisters, but not as much as I wanted the Little John which is probably the top of the tree for that kind of funk/northern/R+B crossover sound.

But I do think that Chalky is showing up his rather limited taste by saying that Trent Sisters is a poor record. Shame on you Chalky, it is far from a poor record. That Mary Hunt thing that you are championing on the hand... :fool: :lol::rolleyes:

The Funk 'holy grails' would be Innersouls "Take Your Time", possibly (not) Tickled Pink "Reach Out", certainly Carleen + The Groovers "Can We Rap", Lou Pride's "Got To Be Somebody For Me" on Suemi, Fabulous Jades and maybe Abraham + The Metronomes. More could be added, Wrighty is probably the man to give a list and I'm sure a few of them will feature on his Sister Funk 2 compilation that is being launched in the Deepfunk room at Soul Revolution February 24th, plug plug.

I wouldn't put Elipsis in the disco holy grail bracket, although others might. Florence Trapp would be the one at the top for me.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Simon, I've added a few.

I guess The Hatch and The Whip It could be added as well as Universals "New Generation"

What makes a "holy grail"? An "irrational exuberance" in buying habits when one comes on the market I would say? In which case there are not too many of those left in the "funk" bracket as most collectors are now very sensible and prices rarely go into 4 figures any more.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Good call on Junior McCants, thats an amazing recording as daft rare as well.......

Agree! Love his voice. Great ballad flip as well.

Social source share

any sound files for the funky things Trouble ... Have you got a Chain Reaction AKA Hott Ice ?

Simon

Dreamakers - Funky Band is my personal funk holy grail. :rolleyes:

The Love Experience - Are You Together For The New Day seems to be wanted by a few now :lol:

Hott Ice/Chain Reaction could become a holy grail quite soon as the 'Ellipsis' lot cotton onto it :shades:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Dreamakers - Funky Band is my personal funk holy grail. :lol:

The Love Experience - Are You Together For The New Day seems to be wanted by a few now :shades:

Hott Ice/Chain Reaction could become a holy grail quite soon as the 'Ellipsis' lot cotton onto it wink.gif

I think I've expressed my desire to get the Love Experience enough times on here now, since my copy was rather rudely wrenched from my box. It's certainly my 'holy grail'.

Dreammakers is pretty special :rolleyes:

Social source share

Dreamakers - Funky Band is my personal funk holy grail. :lol:

The Love Experience - Are You Together For The New Day seems to be wanted by a few now :shades:

Hott Ice/Chain Reaction could become a holy grail quite soon as the 'Ellipsis' lot cotton onto it wink.gif

I have to say I find that Hott Ice , a bit better than Ellipsis ....In my opinion , and all that :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yeah, I regretted selling the Ellipsis for a month or two but the Chain Reaction isn't going anywhere :rolleyes:

I love it .. its so good it doesn't sound like an obscure item ..very polished sound etc , if you get what i mean !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest wrighty

sister funk grails....

the aristocrats - don't go/rondo (STILL only one known copy)

delores ealy - the honeydripper/duplex (only a handful)

keisa brown - the dance man/lul (maybe 3 known)

barbara king - what i did in the street/gulfstream (a couple?)

and a possibility in sandy gaye 'watch the dog' on tragar, still dont know of anyone else with this? plus of course florence trapp :rolleyes:

funk wise there havent been a lot of 'new' holy grails in the last few years....most have been talked about earlier but perhaps uniques 'give me another chance' on elsar warrants a mention :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

sister funk grails....

barbara king - what i did in the street/gulfstream (a couple?)

and a possibility in sandy gaye 'watch the dog' on tragar, still dont know of anyone else with this? plus of course florence trapp :rolleyes:

funk wise there havent been a lot of 'new' holy grails in the last few years....most have been talked about earlier but perhaps uniques 'give me another chance' on elsar warrants a mention :shades:

The Sandy Gaye is a bit weak though Ian. I don't feel it. I would doubt if that would fetch more than a few hundred in auction.

You're version of "Follow The Wind" would cause some excitment, but as you never play it out very few know it yet :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Trent Sisters Was Never C/U By Keb , The Del Capris Was 'Girl Dont Cry By The Natural Facts'

These sort of records , ( with hindsight) spoilt the night for me ..for me Guys 60's stuff was better !

Keb did have his moments though , but Big Frank three times in the space of an hour ..dear me :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest wrighty

The Sandy Gaye is a bit weak though Ian. I don't feel it. I would doubt if that would fetch more than a few hundred in auction.

You're version of "Follow The Wind" would cause some excitment, but as you never play it out very few know it yet :lol:

think you'd find a helluva lot of people willing to bite your arm off for the sandy james....'weak' is definitely not a word i'd use to describe it - maybe u need to hear it out and see the reaction to realise... :rolleyes:

Social source share

sister funk grails....

How about that Sandi & Matues "The World" of yours?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

think you'd find a helluva lot of people willing to bite your arm off for the sandy james....'weak' is definitely not a word i'd use to describe it - maybe u need to hear it out and see the reaction to realise... :rolleyes:

Student crowds might like it, but I just can't see it being talked about in 50 years time like a Mellow Souls, Innersouls or Florence Trapp will be. A 'holy grail' it most certainly is not IMO.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Student crowds might like it, but I just can't see it being talked about in 50 years time like a Mellow Souls, Innersouls or Florence Trapp will be. A 'holy grail' it most certainly is not IMO.

only time will tell then eh...see you in 50 years :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(C.B @ Jan 4 2007, 10:46 AM) link
How about that Sandi & Matues "The World" of yours?

yeah nice one christian, totally forgot about that :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

only time will tell then eh...see you in 50 years :rolleyes:

I doubt it. :shades:

Only way we will tell which is more of a funk holy grail is if you put the Florence Trap and The Sandy Gaye up for auction and see which one goes for more, I know which one will end up in my play box :lol:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

I doubt it. :shades:

Only way we will tell which is more of a funk holy grail is if you put the Florence Trap and The Sandy Gaye up for auction and see which one goes for more, I know which one will end up in my play box :rolleyes:

more copies of florence trapp around apparently so be lucky sir :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"Right On for The Darkness"? Forgot that one as well. That would be huge on the crossover/tent scene, whatever they call it these days.

Have you got that in the office Wrighty, a sound file of that might send a few spines tingling... Is it on one of the Soul Spectrums?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest wrighty

"Right On for The Darkness"? Forgot that one as well. That would be huge on the crossover/tent scene, whatever they call it these days.

Have you got that in the office Wrighty, a sound file of that might send a few spines tingling...

nice one...unfortunately not here, no, but someone out there should have a soundfile...christian? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

nice one...unfortunately not here, no, but someone out there should have a soundfile...christian? :rolleyes:

That's probably more of a modern/crossover holy grail than Elipsis? Elipsis has been possible to get hold of. Willie Wright is plain impossible. Take away the "Power Of Sam" and Elpisis wouldn't be half as wanted as Willie Wright IMO. I personally value Willie Wright higher than Elipsis.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!