Christine Cooper - Voices of Vista Lp - 1966

The Tempest

Picked this up on evil bay from the States the other night for £8.00 

It has " Heartaches Away My Boy " on it , which is one of my favourite oldies , 

Another member had a copy for sale recently on here , apparently it has a spoken intro , but not arrived yet so no idea what it will be like but for the pittance I paid , who cares ! 

My point is - does anyone know anything about the series , there seems quite a few about , promotional discs to promote the single release ? 

Any other decent Vista ones out there with Northern tracks on ?

I have a few of the Armed Forces Radio Service ones which have Beverley Ann , Joey Heatherton , Sharon Scott on , but never heard of the Vista series until recently 

image.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Is it the same mix/version as the 45 ?

Cheers Paul

It comes at over two mins longer - so am guessing Miss Cooper is gonna tell us all about herself and the record , will post it up when I get it - but I like you just don't know !!! 

Edited by The Tempest
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Christine Cooper is a puzzle to me. I bought the Teri Nelson album donkeys years ago, and the version of S-O-S on that album is the same as the CC 45. 
I used to wonder if the vocalist on the Teri Nelson tracks was the same person as CC, but I read that Teri Nelson Group wasn't ever a group as such, just Teri and various backing vocalists she'd used. The photo on the album cover has three girls who all could be the same person as on the really poor quality video from those old Shivaree shows on youtube, she appears to have a gap between her front teeth but sadly the album photo has them posed with their mouths shut.
Is the general concensus that Parkway was not exactly run correctly/legally/ineptly ?
Has anyone got a clear photo of CC, or have any confirmed info on her?

Social source share

The Teri Nelson Group on this LP included two ex- Crystals- La La Brooks and Mary Thomas; La La is on the far left,Mary is 2nd from the right,back row.

Teri Nelson is seated at the front.  Christine Cooper ( John Clemente's definitive 'Girl Groups-Fabulous Females That Rocked The World' Girl Group bible states 'Betty Cooper',but this is,with respect, surely La La's memory at fault,unless Christine preferred to be known as Betty at this point) is 2nd from left,directly behind Ms.Nelson. The remaining singer,far right, is Ona Lee.

Social source share

Just now, Michael V said:

The Teri Nelson Group on this LP included two ex- Crystals- La La Brooks and Mary Thomas; La La is on the far left,Mary is 2nd from the right,back row.

Teri Nelson is seated at the front.  Christine Cooper ( John Clemente's definitive 'Girl Groups-Fabulous Females That Rocked The World' Girl Group bible states 'Betty Cooper',but this is,with respect, surely La La's memory at fault,unless Christine preferred to be known as Betty at this point) is 2nd from left,directly behind Ms.Nelson. The remaining singer,far right, is Ona Lee.

D3215015-4781-45E7-A73C-56BFC1BF0E5B.jpeg

Social source share

12 hours ago, Michael V said:

Although the name suggests otherwise, this was not a group. By contrast it was named for Teri Nelson, a young female vocalist from Harlem, New York, who was managed by Steve Camhi. During the late 1960s, the Super K Production company offered the then eighteen year old soloist a one year contract. After recording a few singles, Nelson's studio sessions were compiled into an album, which the Kama Sutra label released in 1968—purportedly without her knowledge—and promoted it as a group effort (comparatively, the artists pictured alongside Nelson on the album's cover are backing vocalists from the recording sessions). Nelson withdrew from her arrangement thereafter.

Social source share

20 hours ago, purist said:

Christine Cooper is a puzzle to me. I bought the Teri Nelson album donkeys years ago, and the version of S-O-S on that album is the same as the CC 45. I used to wonder if the vocalist on the Teri Nelson tracks was the same person as CC, but I read that Teri Nelson Group wasn't ever a group as such, just Teri and various backing vocalists she'd used. The photo on the album cover has three girls who all could be the same person as on the really poor quality video from those old Shivaree shows on youtube, she appears to have a gap between her front teeth but sadly the album photo has them posed with their mouths shut. Is the general concensus that Parkway was not exactly run correctly/legally/ineptly ?
Has anyone got a clear photo of CC, or have any confirmed info on her?

Christine Cooper remains an anomaly, I've been in touch with the Kasenetz-Katz people they really didn't remember a lot about her but are interested to find her again. Here's a picture of her with James Brown and Jerry Kasenetz from 1966. 

Christine Cooper.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Although the name suggests otherwise, this was not a group. By contrast it was named for Teri Nelson, a young female vocalist from Harlem, New York, who was managed by Steve Camhi. During the late 1960s, the Super K Production company offered the then eighteen year old soloist a one year contract. After recording a few singles, Nelson's studio sessions were compiled into an album, which the Kama Sutra label released in 1968—purportedly without her knowledge—and promoted it as a group effort (comparatively, the artists pictured alongside Nelson on the album's cover are backing vocalists from the recording sessions). Nelson withdrew from her arrangement thereafter.

I wonder how many beside 'Willie' have Teri on lead? SOS is definitely CC, so maybe there's other tracks that feature other girls on lead ? My hearing isn't that great to distinguish between them all, though Teri is different vocally to CC

Social source share

22 hours ago, Chris L said:

Christine Cooper remains an anomaly, I've been in touch with the Kasenetz-Katz people they really didn't remember a lot about her but are interested to find her again. Here's a picture of her with James Brown and Jerry Kasenetz from 1966. 

Christine Cooper.jpg

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9ycEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=christine+cooper+cameo+parkway&source=bl&ots=vDFSjcNuWK&sig=OuN6g0EqlsjB0aEP3gMKFWNpjTU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhw8bur4_eAhUNecAKHRUeDGc4ChDoATAJegQIBhAB#v=onepage&q=christine cooper cameo parkway&f=false

Social source share

9 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

You are aware that CC is in fact Tari Stevens and was the girlfriend of a famous Philadelphian that you have actually met? I'm sure we've had this conversation before?

Dave 

The depths of my small brain seems to recall a connection with Eddie Holman, but I am so old now :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

You are aware that CC is in fact Tari Stevens and was the girlfriend of a famous Philadelphian that you have actually met? I'm sure we've had this conversation before?

Dave 

Always thought this was the case the B side of Tari Stevens False Alarm is They Call Him a Bad Boy, the same B side as Christine Cooper Heartaches Away My Boy.  Ian

Social source share

18 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

To Dave's credit he doesn't want to indulge  in shameless self promotion ... so everyone should know that there's some excellent material on Christine Cooper in Dave's brilliant book which every good home should own !

51ezbiDowHL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Credit where credit's due.....

Is info on these 2 around or in his book ?

Social source share

It's a little delicate subject but Eddie did indeed date Ms Tari Stevens who, in turn, was indeed Christine Cooper. Sadly, he has no idea where she is now though. The information was then confirmed/corroborated by the sound engineer of 'HAMB'.  I was desperate to find her in order try and get her on stage but all to no avail so far. 

Dave  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 22/10/2018 at 22:38, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

Dave 

Dave

Yes we have, I'd heard this "rumour" a few times, I did ask that with the Kasentz-Katz lot, they then asked someone else (who's name escapes me) and also they "thought so too" - what made me doubt was I was expecting to see her face in the Teri Nelson Group. Anyway wherever she is I'm desperately in love with her! 😍 😍

Chris

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!