George Clinton 'Please Don't Run From Me'

• Replies 5
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Craig the Manc

Always been curious about who this guy was. He was obviously not the Parliaments George and Artie Waynes blog reveals a bit more. He's promised me more info soon. Plenty of other interesting stuff from Artie too.

https://artiewayne.wordpress.com/

Hi Simon :thumbsup:

This was discussed a few weeks ago in a different thread.

Sure if you do a search you could find it.

BTW the guy in question is most definatley a white C/W singer (me thinks).

Cheers

Craig.

Social source share

Not a country singer as such. The George Clinton Band lp was conceived as a kind of soft rock/blue eyed soul effort in the manner of Hall & Oates, Seals & Croft etc. which was popular at the time. I posted a picture of him on the thread about three months ago. Should be still up there.

Social source share

Always been curious about who this guy was. He was obviously not the Parliaments George and Artie Waynes blog reveals a bit more. He's promised me more info soon. Plenty of other interesting stuff from Artie too.

https://artiewayne.wordpress.com/

Hi Simon,

Mr Clinton was/is a classically trained white singer/songwriter/keyboard player and the ABC LP that spawned "Please Don't Run" was the first his band (The George Clinton Band), released. The band was a large 10 piece outfit that included a full 5 piece horn section. Before creating the band ('74) he had worked with Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, Donny Hathaway and Johnny Mathis so his soul credentials are there for all to see.

He is a native from Chattanooga, Tennessee who worked in Nashville as a studio player in the 60s and joined a group called Timber. (Elektra Records). He moved to LA in 69 and his producer was non other than Mr Jerry Fuller. The track "Please Don't Run.." is a brilliant piece of artistry imo. Upbeat, almost manic horns that contains one of the top 5 tenor sax solos on a dance record for me. Brilliant stuff!

For those that know me well...this is the record that the late and lamented Alan Hughes and I used to play the "air" sax to! Ah ...Happy days indeed!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Nice one Dave. Have a look at Arties blog, he's a great guy and he has some intersting stories on it. He's been involved in the music business for years and has some great stories about his time there.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert