Picture Framed Three Before Eight

gordonc

Hi, About 20+ years a go I purchased the Three Before Eight in a picture frame. At the time, it was said to be a 'limited edition'. I think I paid about 30 quid for it. Since then its took pride and place on my office wall. Now then, does anyone know if the records are the originals or just any old crap records with copycat labels stuck on them?

Here are some pictures - sorry about the reflection in the pictures

20181014_094800.jpg

20181014_095156.jpg

20181014_095243.jpg

20181014_095220_001.jpg

Social source share

Just now, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Easy enough to pop em out the frame and give them a spin, if they're real, win, if not they might be something decent or...

Dare I hint at it? They could be something wicked and unexpected! My curiosity wouldn't allow me to remain in the dark! Either way is a win. :hatsoff2:

Might be better to live in ignorance and just hope for the best. Unless you are really short of cash for another buy.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

6 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

No yellow Mala pattern in the background and a clearly stuck on label on profiled vinyl rather than flat styrene for Musicor? Is it not obvious?

Dx

Jimmy Radcliffe on original Musicor is vinyl only and so there's no styrene pressing as far as I am aware. Bootleged as a white promo (also on vinyl) altough. And you're right, Tobi on a white Mala is something I've never seen before... a rarer mis-press variation maybe ?

Social source share

They must be lookalikes, surley... I can’t see anybody knocking out any number of these as originals, even back then you would have to charge a fair bit given their value, and what if you run out of any one title? You’re stuffed..,

i cant see them up close but I’d say 99.9% lookalikes,  but of course nice lookalikes at that 🙂 

mal

Social source share

Its the TWPYB Tobi track that gets my attention given the current prices. I've just had it off the wall and the markings in the run out grooves are....

MR < / 0609 TOM - / 10012 - A .... and then what looks like a 2 in a circle......then .......MASTER DISK - BK, or 13K depending how you read it.   

Some of the letters & numbers are stamped on and others look to be scratched on.

The Mala label is defo yellow not white as my photo suggests and it does have the bell shape 'Bell' logo on it, all-be-it quite faint. It may have faded over time by having it hung on the wall?

I am aware of the run out grooves and numbers etc on records, but haven't a clue what they mean. What I also don't know if it is an original, will all the originals have the same letters / number or will they be different?. 

Any run out groove experts out there?

Social source share

Arh well, we all live in hope. It was worth a try to see if it is genuine. I suppose the only way to find out is to take it out the picture frame and play it. I won't be surprised if its the floor filler Cherpy cherpy cheep cheep or the Birdie Song! When I do, I will let all and sundry know the outcome, cheers, Gordon.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!