record shops in London

i am in London on Tuesday 16th Oct for the day and requesting some intel on any shops where i can have a good mooch about for some vinyl 

Would be good to be able to plan out he day to hit 2 or 3 shops and look for mainly 45's - northern, motown, crossover and rare groove  

any pointers gratefully received 

thanks in advance

Kevin 

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Try Hanway Street just off the eastern end of Oxford Street and a stone's throw from Tottenham Court Rd underground station. There's a couple of shops there worth looking at.  Nearby and easy walking distance is Berwick St and surrounds where there's always been a handful of shops worth checking out.

Good Luck,

Kev.

Social source share

Not much help to you as their shop is only open Thurs - Sun, but Vinyl Boutique (owned by Boz Boorer - Morrisey’s guitarist ) is worth checking out. He makes regular trips to USA mainly for rockabilly 45’s but he’s got several crates of used soul and rocksteady 45’s in store. The shop is in the basement of Sounds That Swing on Parkway in Camden ( open weekdays till 6pm) which has some soul, northern etc inc many of the new reissue 45’s you’ll find in the Soho shops. Best place for secondhand soul vinyl in London is Spitalfields Market which is held 1st and 3rd Friday of the month. Sorry again not much help to you.

https://vinylboutique.co.uk/about-us/

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

London record shops are not what they were, you will find something in the center / soho Oxford street et al, but to my mind it would be better to get a west bound tube to Putney if you can, Soul Brother Records is always a good trip... 

otherwise there is a good shop in Camden just a short walk from the tube, think it’s called ‘out on the floor’  he has several boxes nothing really Rare but 10/20 quid originals and good selection of boots and lps 

Social source share

Kevin ,

Most has been said by values posts above , but if your sightseeing and just want to pop in to a few then in around Berwick Street is a good bet with places like Reckless Records - Sounds of the Universe - Sister Ray and If ... But “ out on the floor “ in Camden is more likely to have more NS kind of stuff .

https://outonthefloorrecords.com/

Hope you have a good fruitful trip mate 

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

Agree with all the above comments, although the two record shops on Hanway Street have gone. If you go up to Camden, also consider going a bit further on the Northern Line to Alans Records at East Finchley - https://alansrecords.com/page2.html Owner is very friendly, lots of soul 45's at reasonable prices.  One other option , tube to Notting Hill and Music and Video Exchange 40 Notting Hill Gate, soul section is upstairs.

Good luck

Social source share

15 hours ago, Parkypine said:

Roger at Boogaloo Records near Fulham Broadway always has a good selection of stuff for sale

He does but he only opens for definite on a Friday, and he does sometimes miss one.... I've Had some great tracks off him from there... 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

On 14/10/2018 at 18:21, kevinweavers said:

i am in London on Tuesday 16th Oct for the day and requesting some intel on any shops where i can have a good mooch about for some vinyl 

Would be good to be able to plan out he day to hit 2 or 3 shops and look for mainly 45's - northern, motown, crossover and rare groove  

any pointers gratefully received 

thanks in advance

Kevin 

So how did it go? Any luck?

- Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!