Selling on Discogs - VAT question

Thinking about selling on Discogs as a private seller as I have a few 45's which I think would appeal more to the Euro / Rest of World crowd. I went to register and it asked for a VAT number which confused me a bit.

As a private seller do I need a VAT number ?

Will I be charged VAT for the listing fee and sale price ?

Is it chargeable each month you have something listed ?

Any other advice ?

Any of you experienced Discogs sellers out there, your input would be appreciated.

ATB

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello Andy,

it,s been a long time since I was vat registered but it was a based on turnover,currently around £85,000 per annum, I think! There was/is a margin scheme where you paid vat on your profit,mainly for the antiques trade.My contention would be not to get involved.It sounds like you don,t need to anyway,unless you,ve got a hell of a lot of records to sell!! Also you would need to register to obtain a vat number in order to charge it. I don,t think this applies to you but check out the up to date facts to put your mind at rest!

Regards, Clive.

Social source share

The VAT is only charged on what Discogs charge in sales commission, 8% i think. Not on individual sales. So if you sell 100 quids worth in a month they will bill you for 8 quid plus 1.60 VAT. 9.60. I don't have a VAT number so the VAT number field isn't mandatory.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Thinking about selling on Discogs as a private seller as I have a few 45's which I think would appeal more to the Euro / Rest of World crowd. I went to register and it asked for a VAT number which confused me a bit.

As a private seller do I need a VAT number ?

Will I be charged VAT for the listing fee and sale price ?

Is it chargeable each month you have something listed ?

Any other advice ?

Any of you experienced Discogs sellers out there, your input would be appreciated.

ATB

Andy

As per the other responses, you do not need a VAT and the charges on sold items are as already quoted which you are then invoiced for on a monthly basis,if i recall you then  have 10 days to pay 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!