Oh dear

Gilly

15 hours ago, Gilly said:

55 Soul nights on this Saturday, it will crawl up its own arse before long. Its a lot of talc and handbags me thinks 

56 soul night in in my our music room   no talc no handbags just good tunes  no holds barred . Scene's gone mad  and to an extent have to agree with  chalky

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, chalky said:

Even the “something different” or “upfront” are playing the same records.  All the facets of the scene are basically oldies scenes now. 

I would agree in the most Chalks, but there are still venues that do something different. I find the Sunday venues are the best in terms of "something different". There are a number around the midlands and could recommend the likes of Groovin @ The Tavern in Derby and Feed Your Soul in Newark are just two of them. Other Sunday soul brands are available 😉

At the last 'Groovin' there was everything from group harmony/sweet soul, modern, crossover and NS with the odd soulful Reggae track thrown in for good measure.

Andy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, SKEGSOUL said:

Don't know what the answer is. Someone puts a oldies night on playing things that are played to death and it packs em in. Try and promote a event that offers something different and hardly enough souls through the door to cover the event.

Used to travel from skeg every Fri and sat night all over the country now struggle to go out at all,very few places excite enough to warrant the millage.

Still so many great records out there that deserve to be heard, but is there enough folks that still want that buzz, that excitement of hearing something new or different. 

Don't think the flame will ever go out for me , been a life long passion but I think that flame for a lot of people is flickering .

Sad times me thinks 😧

Mick H do at rose & crown Notts you would like that mick 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

Yes as you say, years ago (everyone) wanted to be a DJ. Now (everyone) wants to promote, it sure gives you a chance to DJ if you run it and further more if you can team up with another promoter you can DJ at his and he can DJ at yours. What more could you want, I will tell you, some punters wouldn't go a miss.

Amen Brother Gilly.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, chalky said:

How many of these venues are p,aying reissues and boots? If you don’t wish to say in public PM me and I’ll say it.  I’ve asked this question before and no one said anything.  Sounds like one sweeping assumption to suggest the 55 venues are made up of boot playing Djs with promoters who couldn’t give a fcuk. 

The Blackpool tower weekend has screens showing both decks with the records next to be played. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Louise said:

The scene's a monster that unfortunately has eaten it's self. Too many (for chiefs read Dj's) and not enough (for Indians read punters). Everybody wants to be a DJ these days it's the 15 minutes of fame scenario. Therefore to achive their 15 minutes of notoriety their cunning planning plan is to blast away on e-bay on shagged well known played out records in persuit of instant adulation. Simple not quite, theirs hundreds of others with the same aspirations, bugger, they need a new plan. Dah! Dah i ureka ! plan B they start their own do and so it goes on and on. You here stories of people begging for DJ spots and even paying promotors for the pleasure of DJing doh!

Aspiring Dj's aside, we come to the audience mostly 50 to 60 olds who flirted with the scene for a couple of months in the 70's and who are trying to relieve thier youth, when the top 500 shrinks to the top 150 (at best) then you know your in trouble. A recent FB post had a guy expressing his shock at clearing a dancefloor with George Blackwell "Can't Lose My Head" (the bottom has finally been reached).

I'm afraid to say to get back to a thriving upfront scene you need proper Dj's who can be allowed to express their different styles and taste and a recieptive audience to both appreciate and encourage them, not aload of e-bay overspending wannabees who think that they can do better. Progression was always the engine room of the scene, no engine and eventually your left with a stationary rusty old heap ! ring any bells ?

Dave

A fantastic post......opening mith my current favourite phrase.........eating itself.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Louise said:

The scene's a monster that unfortunately has eaten it's self. Too many (for chiefs read Dj's) and not enough (for Indians read punters). Everybody wants to be a DJ these days it's the 15 minutes of fame scenario. Therefore to achive their 15 minutes of notoriety their cunning planning plan is to blast away on e-bay on shagged well known played out records in persuit of instant adulation. Simple not quite, theirs hundreds of others with the same aspirations, bugger, they need a new plan. Dah! Dah i ureka ! plan B they start their own do and so it goes on and on. You here stories of people begging for DJ spots and even paying promotors for the pleasure of DJing doh!

Aspiring Dj's aside, we come to the audience mostly 50 to 60 olds who flirted with the scene for a couple of months in the 70's and who are trying to relieve thier youth, when the top 500 shrinks to the top 150 (at best) then you know your in trouble. A recent FB post had a guy expressing his shock at clearing a dancefloor with George Blackwell "Can't Lose My Head" (the bottom has finally been reached).

I'm afraid to say to get back to a thriving upfront scene you need proper Dj's who can be allowed to express their different styles and taste and a recieptive audience to both appreciate and encourage them, not aload of e-bay overspending wannabees who think that they can do better. Progression was always the engine room of the scene, no engine and eventually your left with a stationary rusty old heap ! ring any bells ?

Dave

I think this sums things up perfectly.  At the end of the day, unless there is an influx of youth who want to push the boundaries, rather than duplicate what has gone before this will be as good as it gets. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 15/10/2018 at 21:26, Gilly said:

55 Soul nights on this Saturday, it will crawl up its own arse before long. Its a lot of talc and handbags me thinks 

But how many of them would you go to 😉

Still finding night's to float my boat but becoming harder & harder.Stayed in for the last month,first time I've done that in years & probably only swerved one night in that time?

Out this weekend tho'.......Wahoooooo!!!! 😂

Cheers

Martyn

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, speedlimit said:

56 soul night in in my our music room   no talc no handbags just good tunes  no holds barred . Scene's gone mad  and to an extent have to agree with  chalky

I think a lot of people are opting for the staying in / record room route. The amount of events out there has defo had a detrimental effect - I don't even look anymore.

Not so sure about the many events playing boots - I'm sure there's some, but it's so easy to buy originals nowadays. There's just loads on that are exactly the same. People miss the creativity / the unexpected, the 'effort to reward' ratio makes some not bother anymore (As said above)

We'll keep on moaning - at least that makes us happy :D

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I think mostvoldies venues are more interested in numbers throug the door.  It si only the other aspects of the scene that care first about the music, secondly attendances.

We will never have it like we once did, thats the problem for many of us, especially those who want to hear something different.  Very few new records, the majority of what there is are from the vaults and on cd which the scene frowns upon.  The only thing essentially different is the oldies crowd aren't playing them.  The something different crowd including those mentioned are playing very little if nothing new. 

Still plenty of good nights out there but lets at the very least be honest about what we are going out to listen to. 

Chalky once again I agree with 90% of what you state. However we are 30/40 years on from when new sounds were discovered regularly, so it wont be the same now as it was then, it never can be. I mentioned two venues above and I don't know if you have attended either, but will you hear something 'known' - yes of course, but you will also hear a spread and range of musical styles that present something different. Its more of a mix like the Euro scene and my experience has been these venues are well supported as are others I have attended.

Andy

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Chalky once again I agree with 90% of what you state. However we are 30/40 years on from when new sounds were discovered regularly, so it wont be the same now as it was then, it never can be. I mentioned two venues above and I don't know if you have attended either, but will you hear something 'known' - yes of course, but you will also hear a spread and range of musical styles that present something different. Its more of a mix like the Euro scene and my experience has been these venues are well supported as are others I have attended.

Andy

But that something different will be well known to those who do the upfront side of the scene and if you frequent those venues it won’t be any different.  Same for crossover venues which invariably play the bulk of records places like Thorne were featuring.  I go to those venues, not the two you mention but the ones I do (not as often as I once did) offer nothing different except the fact they are not classics sounds.  

Maybe this topic should be merged with tn3bstate of the scene topic.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 16/10/2018 at 13:13, johndelve said:

I don’t get out a great deal - other than to John Browne and Tracey Shaw’s terrific Soul Kitchen in Tunbridge Wells, but am aware of other soul nights in Sussex and Kent where D.J.’s have apparently outnumbered paying guests....

Yes agree, and others which are crowded and just playing boots / reissues. I just love posters that say "All played on vinyl" like that counts for anything.

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Let's face it its all over, there are more NS DJ,s than soldiers in the Chinese army, pretend ones anyway,There are more soul nights on than nights in a week, you can't go for a safe walk through your own town at night now without the risk of getting mugged with a local soul night, The best music in the world watered down to suit the plebs and conform with Mr and Mrs Average , It's not their fault , it's just the way our society works , they outnumber us 100 to 1 but we don't want to be Mr and Mrs Average that's what makes us different, So maybe before we get carried away with all these suicidal thoughts about NS we should realise that there are people on here that are singing of the same hymn sheet what do agree with what's going on its finding some kind of strategy if their is one that's the problem , This problem is affecting True SOULIES happiness and Action is needed , Ideas anyone?

ML

A Cull :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

MORE DJS AT DOS THAN ACTUAL PUNTERS.

That made me smile. A paraphrase of that was jokingly said to me by this wise chap

about this lot

Stafford TOTW 35 or so years ago!

Ian Clarke.jpg

Wannabe DJs.jpg

Edited by simon t
symantics & grammar
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

But that something different will be well known to those who do the upfront side of the scene and if you frequent those venues it won’t be any different.  Same for crossover venues which invariably play the bulk of records places like Thorne were featuring.  I go to those venues, not the two you mention but the ones I do (not as often as I once did) offer nothing different except the fact they are not classics sounds.  

Maybe this topic should be merged with tn3bstate of the scene topic.

I'm not disagreeing Chalky, people who have always liked the more upfront side will know many of them but we don't know them all, and of course other genre's of soul music have become accepted e.g. group soul harmony. I can guarantee I hear something or several things I don't know or have only heard infrequently. If you are saying that this is equivalent to an oldies top 50 bash, slipping on talc and having your shins whipped by 40" baggy bottoms during a spin, then I think its a negative view.

Anyway here's a picture of me, Mick Brown and Franc Giacobbe on the way to Groovin in Derby a few weeks back. Francs the good looking one keeping his hand on the talc in his pocket.

Andy Mac

Bags.jpg

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

37 minutes ago, bri phill said:

At the real commercial end NS is the new singles night and what was the old 60/70s disco because there's no where else for 45-70 year olds to go to for a bit of a dance, chat up or just get pissed. At least half of the older punters weren't into Northern in the 70s or may have flirted with it for a fortnight so it's all new to them even Frank Wilson.Forget vinyl its' CDs and laptops one guy on here runs about 5 nights never seen a 45.

When I started going mid-eighties the NS scene was way better women-wise than the singles nights!

Mind you the Queens at Basford took some beating! 

Sadly now an apartment complex. 

8343201_orig.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mark R said:

And it's totally bizarre.........buying them to DJ rather than because you actually love/want the record.......paying a kings ransom for it and getting £50 for DJ'ing.  How desperate can you be........

Cheers,

Mark R

I know a guy who I’d play him or do him a cassette/cd whatever , the records would be maybe 10-15 at that time ( 90s) , then say maybe 12-18 month later and you were at a do and one of the sounds were played and the price had bollocked up to £75 or so , then he’d go and buy one , but not when it were a tenner , oh no , it were when he saw folk dancing to it. The mind boggles, I always bought what I like no other reason !

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I know a guy who I’d play him or do him a cassette/cd whatever , the records would be maybe 10-15 at that time ( 90s) , then say maybe 12-18 month later and you were at a do and one of the sounds were played and the price had bollocked up to £75 or so , then he’d go and buy one , but not when it were a tenner , oh no , it were when he saw folk dancing to it. The mind boggles, I always bought what I like no other reason !

In total agreement with you on this one , No original thinking here just plagiarism following the easy route to collecting or dj'ing even if it costs more money , Pretty sad really, It's much easier being yourself and that you found or were instrumental in pushing a sound

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Mark R said:

In a nutshell, I just can't imagine not wanting to go forward rather than looking back all the time.  We all have great and cherished memories and will always look fondly to the past but completely living in the past is sorta like succumbing to old age........and fuck that!

Cheers,

Mark R

Perfectly articulated Sir 😀

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!