Oh dear

Gilly

34 minutes ago, chalky said:

I don’t think anyone is dissuading new blood nor denying them the classics.  But there is 100s of post Wigan classics thatbrarely get heard.  

All most are advocating, well me anyway is some imagination and flare.  They are all new to the youngsters and there is far more to this scene than Wigan. So why not embrace it all instead of focusing on a few years only?

For a lot of people Northern Soul started and ended at Wigan. It closed they stopped. They came back they want Wigan again.

Lots before and a hell of a lot since. The scene was very fluid during the 70’s and that continued into the 80’s with Stafford etc etc. 

They now yearn for ‘the good old days’ but that was the time when you craved something new. As Chalky says, embrace it and you will love it all over again.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Dean Carr said:

Thanks for that Si, All I can say is the best soul tune is the one you don't really no but, it becomes an earworm the following week! Then you just have to back for more. Keep the scene progressive but, 🙂 mix it up!

Hi Dean as you know we loves our oldies, we get it that they have been played a lot over the years but to some ears they are fresh and new, plus in our opinion the big Northern oldies are some of the best music ever created of any genre. Hearing a new to us sound (easy in my case, extremely difficult to find something the other half hasn't heard already) is a great experience and welcome, however it is only new once.

I'm merely pointing out that a good promoter and good set of DJs can keep things fresh enough to maintain an old hands' interest with the lesser known spins, while also playing the old favourites, something which yourself and Lee bless him, have been able to achieve.

Not meant to be promotion but it is some honest positive feedback and is within the context of this discussion.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!