record hiss

Guest brickiesondecks

Guest brickiesondecks

hi, just wanna throw a question out there,, ive a handful of records in particular that when played distort at the high notes( eg artistics- hope we have on 2nd issue brunswick) .another problem i came across in a hiss in only one channel(this one on ann sexton-gone too long -seventy 7 yellow). does anyone know what causes this ,all are on what look like mint condition vinyl and im fairly sure these aint bootlegs??????????????

cheers,,,shane

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi, just wanna throw a question out there,, ive a handful of records in particular that when played distort at the high notes( eg artistics- hope we have on 2nd issue brunswick) .another problem i came across in a hiss in only one channel(this one on ann sexton-gone too long -seventy 7 yellow). does anyone know what causes this ,all are on what look like mint condition vinyl and im fairly sure these aint bootlegs??????????????

cheers,,,shane

TRY REMOVING THE SNAKES FROM YOUR SPEAKER BOXES

SHOULD WORK FIRST TIME..

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

TRY REMOVING THE SNAKES FROM YOUR SPEAKER BOXES

SHOULD WORK FIRST TIME..

If that doesn't work it may be something to do with the records. :rolleyes:

If they're mono pressings your stylus may be on contact with unmodulated vinyl, if you have a mono button on your amp use it, I listen to most of my 45s like this, it cuts back on hiss and has saved me a fortune in snake charmers' fees. Your modern cartridge is designed to pick up information that probably just isn't there, mono recordings only use horizontal deflection in the grooves, stereo uses both vertical and horizontal, plus your stylus may be an elliptical shape which can also contact unmodulated space in the groove (these records were mastered for use with spherical carts and generally low quality reproductions systems). At the end of the day though, the hiss may be just down to p#ss poor mastering, or a badly set up lathe when cutting the mother, it happens.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

ARE YOU IMPLYING MY SUGGESTION WASNT GOOD RACHEL ?

Typical isn't it, probably the kind of person that thinks that a dodgy noise from the vacuum cleaner isn't caused by wasps. I think a mouse may be living in my kitchen door but they can apparently be driven out with WD40.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

YOU ARE CLEVER STUART

I GUESS MY SNAKES ARE OUT THE WINDOW THEN?????????

NICE INFO..DIDNT KNOW THAT AT ALL..THANX

WILL TRY AND IMPRESS THE GUYS IN THE PUB WITH IT LATER

NOW WHERES THAT WD 40..FECKIN MICES

I still think he should check for snakes first, I would. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the hippopotamus that lives in my boiler? Paid the plumber two grand so far and he still can't get rid of it, the bugger knocks like crazy when the heating goes on, wakes me up every morning. I thought it was just an airlock, glad I contacted an expert, they can be dangerous apparently.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

90% of the hiss is caused by bad styli

Some further information, this time on record wear that is relevant:

The frequency response of vinyl records may be degraded by frequent playback if the cartridge is set to track too heavily, or the stylus is not compliant enough to trace the high frequency grooves accurately, or the cartridge/tonearm is not properly aligned. The RIAA has suggested the following acceptable losses: down to 20 kHz after one play, 18 kHz after three plays, 17 kHz after five, 16 kHz after eight, 14 kHz after fifteen, 13 kHz after twenty five, 10 kHz after thirty five, and 8 kHz after eighty plays. While this degradation is possible if the record is played on improperly set up equipment, many collectors of LPs report excellent sound quality on LPs played many more times when using care and high quality equipment.

So badly set up or engineered styluses are ruining people's vinyl. As for the problem being 90% the stylus, partly true as that is what is playing what it shouldn't be! If the stylus tracks incorrectly it could also have ruined on channel of Shane's signal (if he is playing true stereo recordings).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert