This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 01/11/18 at 09:00

This time around we are going with a choice from Mick L aka  @Hooker1951

Rita & The Tiaras ‎– Gone With The Wind Is My Love

v

Gloria Jones - Gone With The Wind Is My Love

v

Betty Willis - Gone With The Wind (is my love)

Here's the clips, as always feel free to post your track related views, reasons, stories, history etc after you've voted your choice

Rita & The Tiaras ‎– Gone With The Wind Is My Love

Gloria Jones - Gone With The Wind Is My Love

Betty Willis - Gone With The Wind (is my love)

A bit of background posted on here originally by Steve Lane 

The Gloria Jones cut "Gone with the wind is my Love" was recorded prior to the Rita version..."Rita used the same tracks as on the Gloria version......the Tiaras did the backup vocals with Gloria.....Hence, The Gloria 8 track recording is the same track that Rita recorded on.....The time frame was the same.....same year, about a month apart.....we had to replace Gloria with Rita within a 4/ 6 week period....we were in the studio with Gloria Jones of "Tainted Love" for almost 3 hours until we got the sound out of her that we wanted, from line to line..........The sound we got out of Gloria was a new sound, a new Gloria Jones.....it did not sound like any of Gloria's other songs such as Tainted Love. The reason why the Gloria recording was never released was " due to disagreements with Gloria's management group."

(by Lou Barreto)

wind-gone.jpg

ok there you go, the latest version battle...
 as said comments/views/stories/background etc most welcome

Social source share

Rita defo - the pained, yet resigned sound of her voice nails it.

Betty Willis sounds like a bad school band with the key to the tambourine cupboard - and I think the brass section is playing a different tune altogether.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

its 2 minutes of Dynamite,  fabulous record ! 

Rita & the Tiara's ....   wonderful .

Lou Barreto's little interview was an interesting read,  history in the making.    Gloria Jones made a fine job,    no question,   but when you're brought up on Rita Graham blasting out of the speakers,    its always gonna be her ....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So I assume Gloria Jones management company eventually settled their differences with the record producers etc and her version eventually got released?

Or was it slipped out on the quiet?

Rita has been on here a few times explaining she got sweet fa from the record profits at the time or ever since.

Big time record discovered around 77 / 78 ? Unless I caught it second time around?

Ed

Social source share

Never really cared about the song too much that is until I was holidaying down south , sat on the beach at Bournemouth on a scorching sunny day 1981 , surrounded by tories and tourists and a girl walked past with a ghetto blaster and the song came on , plenty of tut tuts about the volume lol , I almost shouted ‘ turn it up lass , “f#*k em”lol 

Edited by Colnago
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!