Help required

carl baxter

Whats your budget,Carl ?

Depending on what you have to spend on the deck is a big factor in choosing the right one for your needs .

I'm a long time Technics 1200 /10 user myself so I'm slightly biased towards the brand but it has everything you need in a turntable  in my opinion. excellent torque motor,pitch control,direct drive etcetera.

I think the closest things to the Technics from Thorens is possibly the TD-160-  or 318  models which I believe is belt driven,so maybe worth checking the specs for that one in particular. 

The TD160 was introduced in 1972 I believe and went through many incarnations, the best TD160 is said to be the Super-version (TD160 Super). It supposedly has it's charm and if tweaked is an alternative to the Linn LP12 (similar construction). If wanting to tweak a turntable, then the TD160 is a popular choice for customization and tweaking. The TD160 can require some skill to set it up more so than the TD318, the suspension on the 160 may need to be tuned. But is a much loved deck and it has it's fans. It surely is a great looking turntable.

I must admit that some of the other high end  Thorens decks look really nice although I've never tried one myself yet.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The reason I am asking,is that ive been informed by some 

hi-fi buff that the technics will ruin my records. 

My reply was that it was the choice of most of the people

i know and I had never heard any bad reports. He was still

adament that Thorens was the better option.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, carl baxter said:

Thats the reason I asked the question on soul source. I knew that i  would get expert advice. Thanks chaps.

You're  more than welcome,mate.

If you do decide to go with the Technics and need any advice,pointers etcetera please feel free to P.M. me and I'll be more than happy to help..I've had a lot of experience with these decks over the last 30 years or so and also have   friends in the Hip Hop community, DJ's and electronics nerds (in the nicest possible way)  who are brilliant with things like custom modifications,power supply replacements and the technical side of things so don't hesitate to ask!  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

absolutely no reason to spends lots on a Technics if it's for home use only. There are many cheaper alternatives like Reloop, Pioneer etc. that sound just as good and last just as long. Just make sure to use proper quality cartridge and needle as mentioned before.

Social source share

just get some technics. plenty of cared for second hand ones  out there. if you can afford it they feel better, look better and perform better. 

buy cheap buy twice. I bought 2 Stanton decks from a charity auction and they are v poor in comparison. very poor indeed. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Technics for me everyday.......mind you the ones I would really like and even my wife loves means that we will need to sell our house and live in a shoe box

Gold.jpg

Lovely.

I've mentioned before on here that i  have one of these,, a SL-1200 LTD mine is #77 of the 10,000  that were manufactured.

gl5FfU4.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

23 hours ago, carl baxter said:

I am looking to purchase a deck for home use. Thorens versus technics. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Carl

Technics every time!! Ive got a pair that I brought off that well known auction site!!

Best Buy I’ve ever made (Apart from some of the vinyl I play on them of course!!)

You wont be disappointed. it I would advise that you get it serviced (Unless the paperwork says its been serviced! And even then its worth a phone call to whoever did the service!!)

Hope that helps Carl! Good luck with your search!!

Cheers

John

Social source share

11 hours ago, carl baxter said:

Amp.....yes,that was going to be the next question.

i dont have an amp,my record player is an old Panasonic 

music centre that has decided to give up the ghost and I 

was looking to replace everything.

I would recommend that you pop into your nearest HiFi dealer and audition some turntable / amp / speaker combinations.  The Technics is first and foremost a DJ turntable.  There are better sounding decks for home use.  A lot would depend on your record collection.  I recently acquired a Sony PSHX500 that sounds great and has the added bonus of allowing you to digitise your record collection, just connect to a PC........

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-high-resolution-usb-turntable.html

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

The Technics is first and foremost a DJ turntable.

With all due respect,It isn't though.

The first MK 1 Technics were originally released as a hi fidelity consumer record player which was actually intended for home use and aimed at the audiophile demographic.

DJ's then picked up on them because of the rock solid construction,ease of use and durability of the decks but initially they were designed purely for listening purposes.

The main reason the  turntables became adopted among radio and  club DJ's is because of direct drive as opposed to belt driven decks, high torque motor design,which made it absolutely ideal for pushbutton cueing and instant starting of tracks on radio and in dance clubs. 

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

I've got SL1200's which I bought for DJing 20 odd years ago - You won't get a more solid turntable. I think if I was buying one turntable for home use though I would probably get something else like the Thorens.

image.png.af9916c384bb84aac3d13c4089b3c369.png

That's nice......

But I'd prefer Biz Markie's......

image.png.b659df4e1d3d83f2636e10eee8b4e008.png

https://smileradio.net/en/tech-and-gadgets/spotted-7-technics-sl-700-turntable-wild

Edited by Jimmy Disco D
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

But I'd prefer Biz Markie's......

image.png.b659df4e1d3d83f2636e10eee8b4e008.png

Set em up 'battle style' and you can't go wrong!

I only have one deck now but I always had my turntables and mixer configured that way..so much better for cueing, mixing and scratching in my opinion.  

Absolutely love 'The Biz'.. great photo of those famed SL-700's, Jimmy!

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for all your help guys. I’m overwhelmed,it’s like having a 

big family at my disposal.

unlike some of you people,I don’t have a very valuable collection 

but I have been collecting since my early teens and I am almost 64

so these records whilst not very valuable,mean a lot to me.

thanks once again.

carl 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Technics all well and good but even second hand ones are not cheap.

For home I use Stanton t-92s, half the price but a good solid dependable deck.  It isn't as though they are gonna be hammered by incompetent Djs.  I've had one deck about 7 years, still in great nick, bought a second deck a couple of years ago as well.

But all down to personal preference and of course your budget.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

5 hours ago, carl baxter said:

Thanks for all your help guys. I’m overwhelmed,it’s like having a 

big family at my disposal.

unlike some of you people,I don’t have a very valuable collection 

but I have been collecting since my early teens and I am almost 64

so these records whilst not very valuable,mean a lot to me.

thanks once again.

carl 

don't worry about how much its worth just play it all as much as you can and as loudly as you can. get down your local boozer and dj !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!