mike

promoters - event reviews?

Currently looking at changing the way on here the way that the promoter (the event details poster) can post reviews on their own event....

as in  going for a 'no reviews by promoter please' policy

the thinking is that by having such a policy it could help make the reviews feature more worthwhile and more useful to both members and promoters

the promoter can still answer any points raised by members reviews via our 'reply to review' feature that only shows to the promoter (the event details poster)

any thoughts?

Too many comments said by some involved at venues I've been too that leave me wondering if we were at the same venue.  I take little notice of anything said by someone involved, unless I was there and can agree so any points system or other on here holds little credence for me.

17 minutes ago, mike said:

thanks for views so far 👍

though maybe looking at this from the wrong angle - maybe it would work better if we scrap the star rating system ?

I would. Just leave itv to reviews only. Folk can see if those posting have a vested interest or genuine people who had a good night. 

I reckon people can post what they want, promoters or otherwise. None of us are idiots, it's as plain as a bootleg when the people posting five stars and raving or waxing lyrical are completely deluded. To say people who promote or DJ at an event can't comment is going a little too far. Scrap the star system if you feel that would help. Like Phil said, we like to thank people who turn up and make our night what it is and we have 'awarded' ourselves fewer stars in the past when we had a one off sound issue and would do again in a heartbeat if it was pants. All it takes is to turn up at an event to see if the reviews are justified x

9 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

I reckon people can post what they want, promoters or otherwise. None of us are idiots, it's as plain as a bootleg when the people posting five stars and raving or waxing lyrical are completely deluded. To say people who promote or DJ at an event can't comment is going a little too far. Scrap the star system if you feel that would help. Like Phil said, we like to thank people who turn up and make our night what it is and we have 'awarded' ourselves fewer stars in the past when we had a one off sound issue and would do again in a heartbeat if it was pants. All it takes is to turn up at an event to see if the reviews are justified x

Also the ‘HOT’kudos in comments etc when clearly it’s the same person or same two people commenting. Especially the promoter , I just find that a bit pointless especially when it’s something like “2 days to go “! 

34 minutes ago, chalky said:

I also keep forgetting to add my star rating and wonder for two days why I can't see my review 🙄

I've done this too Chalky. People often post a review in the pre-event comment section instead of the review part without realising. Maybe revert back to the old system where it just follows on in one long thread? 

1 hour ago, jumpinjoan said:

I've done this too Chalky. People often post a review in the pre-event comment section instead of the review part without realising. Maybe revert back to the old system where it just follows on in one long thread? 

I think the old way was best

Agree. I think some people still put their reviews in the pre-event part, rather than the review part. And I kind of like the whole thread to morph from before a night to after the event - All read as one project.

That's my view anyway - Others may think differently (and is of course why Mike has asked for people's thoughts)

I vote scrap the star rating. Although a good idea in theory, in practice it doesn't seem to be very beneficial (Leave the star ratings to 'TripAdvisor') 

Len :thumbsup:

again thanks for all the views so far

all helpful and appreciated👍

changes are a lot more deliberate nowadays so need to give it all a  bit of thought and planning

will post in this forum in advance any planned tweaks etc

ok here's the current plan...

looking at tweaking the event display back to the 'default' layout

that means the comments will show all the time - to read reviews you will then need to the 'review' tab on the page or click a 'review' link 

by doing this, this  will allow promoters, attendees etc to comment after events without having to post a 'faux' review while keeping reviews going but as a more stand alone feature with an improved focus for members to use them to review the events. With promoters will then be asked not to 'review' own events 

the review feature will keep the stars  for now as it would be too much of a technical issue/effort to remove them from the 'review' feature and the use may improve as it will be a more stand alone feature

that's the plan, will start putting it in place shortly

cheers now

mike

I’m also now looking forward to more informative and factual reviews  which will either encourage or dissuade me from visiting new venues or those I haven’t been to for a while . Hopefully I won’t continue to read ‘it gets better’...’the best one yet ‘ for the same venue repeated month after month , or the price of (cheap ) beer , yet no mention of the music played . Just some examples . 🤣

Edited by andybellwood

13 hours ago, andybellwood said:

I’m also now looking forward to more informative and factual reviews  which will either encourage or dissuade me from visiting new venues or those I haven’t been to for a while . Hopefully I won’t continue to read ‘it gets better’...’the best one yet ‘ for the same venue repeated month after month , or the price of (cheap ) beer , yet no mention of the music played . Just some examples . 🤣

Hate to see people pushing the fact that the Beer is cheap !

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.