Soulhock

Knee injury from dancing

Two months to recover a sore knee and1hour to go back 2 months . All injury on the inside lower knee just over use on hard ground.  I hope Any body with similar experience.  Thanks  Since had physio and tear to ligament. Thought it could be worse.

Edited by Soulhock

I'd go with what Doctor Steve said above.  I wear neoprene knee supports when I play walking football and when I go dancing.  I think it's just down to general wear and tear in my case, but I've just finished a two month course of steroids for something unrelated and had no joint pain but it's come back now I've finished the course.  Probably best to seek proper medical advice, but resting it up won't do any harm.

12 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

My father used to swear by Neatsfoot oil rubbed in.

Another mate who is a Apiculturist has his bees sting him on the knee, works for him! :hatsoff2:

You're not the first I've heard that from regards both of the remedies, also WD40 is supposed to work.  I just suffer, having danced on a sprained ankle I figure if you feel pain you are still alive.

16 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

My father used to swear by Neatsfoot oil rubbed in.

Another mate who is a Apiculturist has his bees sting him on the knee, works for him! :hatsoff2:

Used to use neatsfoot oil to soften leather at work , as I remember it stunk to high heaven  and always used rubber  gloves when applying it .

Good on your Dads knees I do not know but it would stop you sitting on them when you were younger I would imagine !

Edited by shinehead

usually put my left hand in the blender, hurts like hell but makes me forget about the pain in my knees, next patient please, now, what seems to be your problem?............😂

On a serious note though, up and down the stairs does my knees in, so ibuprofen 200gs over the counter tablets do the trick for me, just take one as required.

Edited by RICK SCOTT
more info

Think its a soul thing I know  lots of people on the scene whom suffer joint related problems mainly  knees and hips I've had one hip replaced 8 years ago   best thing I ever had done.  Now waiting to have the other done .also had knees scrapped.i guess like anything. If it's excessive  it's bad for you .40 years of dancing week in week out takes its toll

My consultant won't replace my knee unless I finish work, he says I'll just wreck it. I had a micro fracture procedure and it's been quite manageable since. You can use ibuprofen and paracetamol, they work well together and you can take them over long periods. 

I have trauma behind the knee according to the knee consultant, he said he was loathed to operate on it and suggested not playing footie for 12 months. I am 9 months in and it hurts when I am climbing stairs. Its a long old process and I have paid for loads of physio and knee straps. Its been suggested that I get acupuncture. I would try anything at this stage.

Feeling all the posts about injuries - I need a new knee but am too young, apparently. My hip is going on the opposite side too now. Football in my late teens early 20s fooked me life u.

Use a comfortable flexible support and don't overdo it

Swim a few times a week and if you can cycle too but don't run or play football if at all possible. 

Hot baths not showers - hot water is a really underrated remedy imho and experience

Sports injury clinic once a month if time and money is about for you

Certain herbal remedies helped me when pain gets too much. Never mix this with a hot bath though - sounds like a good idea but really isn't the joyful experience you'd think it would be. 

Good luck with it all, mate. 

On 22/10/2018 at 12:02, RICK SCOTT said:

usually put my left hand in the blender, hurts like hell but makes me forget about the pain in my knees, next patient please, now, what seems to be your problem?............😂

On a serious note though, up and down the stairs does my knees in, so ibuprofen 200gs over the counter tablets do the trick for me, just take one as required.

I was told by my sports injury guy to use a lot of ibuprofen take them in 4s as its safe you might get the shits a bit but that's all. 

Used to stock up on 600mg codeine orange flavoured dissolvable tablets when I went to Spain to bring back. They worked wonders when pain got a bit much. Makes a good fist of the most severe of hangovers too but might not work so well will the hand in blender thing though. 😄

Diazepam works wonders too but only ever on really hard days. I used to use it if I'd been playing golf too much in the summer. 

On 21/10/2018 at 19:46, Winsford Soul said:

Have you tried using a  neoprene knee support with the articulated joint shape? 

Steve 

Steve ,I found it pressed on and restricted moment..Had physio and she strapped up the ligament common knee injury can walk better already ☺☺

Seatone tablets - green lipped mussels - from New Zealand.  great for joint pain - need to take them for a couple of months initially before they get working.  You don't realise how much they help until you stop taking them!!

All the retired pro rugby players with knackered bodies swear by them.

Ageing PE teacher talking here!!

My knee surgeon recommended Chondroitin and Glucosamine tablets which have been very good since the last operations. Other suggestions would be plenty of rest. Wearing soft crepe rubber sole shoes to dance. DO NOT SPIN. Switch to soft sole shoes for daytime wear - some trainers are brilliant and Church's Leyton shoes have a really thick, soft wedge type heel. Let us know what you tried and if it helped...

21 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

My knee surgeon recommended Chondroitin and Glucosamine tablets which have been very good since the last operations. Other suggestions would be plenty of rest. Wearing soft crepe rubber sole shoes to dance. DO NOT SPIN. Switch to soft sole shoes for daytime wear - some trainers are brilliant and Church's Leyton shoes have a really thick, soft wedge type heel. Let us know what you tried and if it helped...

Last week I could not wear a heal leather sole the angle was wrong.flat boat shoes plastic sole worked well with talc .2 weeks prior i wore heals with pain. After physio I wore heals again won't dance for another 2 weeks .. will post later 

1 hour ago, Soulhock said:

Last week I could not wear a heal leather sole the angle was wrong.flat boat shoes plastic sole worked well with talc .2 weeks prior i wore heals with pain. After physio I wore heals again won't dance for another 2 weeks .. will post later 

Sensible to vary footwear and have breaks to recuperate. I’ve lost track of the times I went to a soul venue and vowed to not dance - two or three pints down and a good tune spun, you can’t keep me off the floor. Torn ligaments need very careful management before surgery becomes necessary - be selective about the records you dance to rather than stay on the floor for whole sets.

On 08/11/2018 at 23:02, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Sensible to vary footwear and have breaks to recuperate. I’ve lost track of the times I went to a soul venue and vowed to not dance - two or three pints down and a good tune spun, you can’t keep me off the floor. Torn ligaments need very careful management before surgery becomes necessary - be selective about the records you dance to rather than stay on the floor for whole sets.

Frankie good call mate . Two weeks ago heels no good .flat boat shoes. Plastic soles and talc were fine. But took thick socks just in case I needed  no shoes..wrong side of 60 for a quick fix ! Hope fully the 24th will see me on the floor again.Then a month of .KTF 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.