Luther (Vandross' group before going solo) on AVCO?

https://luthervandrossearlyyears.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/luther-1976-cotillion-records/

But a couple of years later Luther was getting it together in the recording studios. “In the summer of ’73, we signed with Avco Embassy  and worked with Paul Riser and we were there for a year. But we didn’t have any product out whilst we were there, there were problems  over the budget, to be honest.”

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 25/10/2018 at 21:24, Steve G said:

Mascara produced by Chris Hill when he was at Ensign Records. 

I thought Chris Hill wasn't involved and Mascara was a german production but I stand corrected now it seems.

14 hours ago, daved said:

Since we have a thread about the great man, this is one of the best tracks of the year

As you already started hijacking this thread to post some of Luther's finest recordings in the last decade how about this soulful house classic? I remember when I played it the first time at a dance here in Munich the dancefloor went mental:

Social source share

He was a backing singer before his two albums on Cotillion and featured heavily on David Bowie's Young Americans LP in 1975

His track Funky Music on the Luther LP was a reworking of Fascination from the Young Americans LP which he co-wrote with Bowie

Social source share

4 hours ago, kjw said:

He was a backing singer before his two albums on Cotillion and featured heavily on David Bowie's Young Americans LP in 1975

His track Funky Music on the Luther LP was a reworking of Fascination from the Young Americans LP which he co-wrote with Bowie

Technically the band was "Luther" not him as an individual :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Really like this thread and it reinforces (for me, at least) what a great vocalist Luther Vandross was, particularly his first 4 albums with Epic. I think he lost his way from the mid 80s but started to get his act together again towards the tail-end of his career and, sadly, his life.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!