Rev. Edna Isaac: Beautiful world

Edna Isaac and the Greene Sisters - It’s a beautiful world. A fantastic, uptempo and uplifting gospel number, and new to me until recently, but what’s the story with it in terms of releases?

There are only two clear mentions I can find of it online. One is in a Steve Clancy/Mr Fish playlist on here in which he lists it as being on JLM. The other is on Discogs where the artist’s name is given in the comments under a three-track 12” release on the Moton record label from 2009 where the artist/group isn’t named at all. The person providing the comment identifies it as being Edna Isaac & the Greene Sisters, and points out that it was also released on Moton as a 7”.

The Moton releases are described on Discogs as being “unofficial”. Does that mean bootlegged? Further, from the Moton Facebook page, it appears Greg Belsen is involved in some way.

Anyone able to provide some clarity here about the JLM release, which I can find no actual reference to beyond Steve’s playlist, and the validity of the Moton releases?

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Bluddy autotype!
Social source share

It's off this Greene Sisters LP 'Whatever's Fair' on Mankind Records:

Greene Sisters

The track is actually called - Theme For Sisters Greene (Build It Up) and has long Shaft style percussive intro and outro which have been edited out of the Moton 45.

As for the legitimacy of the Moton 45 I don't know but I suspect it's a boot?

Not heard of the JLM release either but the Mankind LP can be picked up cheap on ebay with a bit of persistence and luck!

Edited by Modularman
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Modularman said:

It's off this Greene Sisters LP 'Whatever's Fair' on Mankind Records:

Greene Sisters

The track is actually called - Theme For Sisters Greene (Build It Up) and has long Shaft style percussive intro and outro which have been edited out of the Moton 45.

As for the legitimacy of the Moton 45 I don't know but I suspect it's a boot?

Not heard of the JLM release either but the Mankind LP can be picked up cheap on ebay with a bit of persistence and luck!

Brilliant info - thank you! I half thought the “Beautiful world” title wasn’t accurate and based on that listened to as many tracks by both the artist and the group as I could find online in the hope of finding it - but with no success.

So it appears someone’s decided to press a dance-floor edit, so to speak, aimed at DJs specifically. Would love to hear it’s a legit release, but with no artist, songwriter, or any other credits on the 12” and 7” Moton releases, it does appear to have bootleg written all over it. Perhaps someone in the know can correct or clarify.

And can anyone offer up anything about the JLM release? 

Bought a copy of the Moton 7” yesterday thinking it was perhaps an issue of an unreleased track (especially having seen the names associated with the label on their Facebook page), but seeing nothing could be found to substantiate that (and being unable to find any info at all), I can’t help but feel there’s bit of a dupe going on.

Someone please tell me I’m wrong. 

Social source share

Ok, having the name of the album and the real song title, it doesn’t take much to find out the original LP was reissued on CD by Essential Media Group in 2016.

https://www.discogs.com/Greene-Sisters-Whatevers-Fair/release/11150205

It’s taken for granted that includes the full version and not the 7”/12” edit on Moton. But is that right?

So the track on Steve Clancy’s playlist, is that the Moton edit, the CD version, or a version on this JLM label? 

<added>Doh! Suddenly remembered it’s possible to tag members, so calling @Mister Fish

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Spelin n klarity
Social source share

Right so we know the Moton record is a carver as it seems to have three illegal cuts on it not only is the track in question a cut and shunt as the real track is Greene Sisters - Theme For Sisters Greene (Build It Up) (Whatever's Fair LP) & that only plays 1.30 vocal but the next track, Darrow Fletcher - The Time For Love is it Darrow Fletcher - Now Is The Time For Love on the Groovy Label & Finally is the Mary Mundy - Love Is Here track actually Mary Mundy - Love Is Gone (Laurie). As you now own a copy Russ can you check the other two tracks to confirm?

Kirsty

Social source share

22 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Brilliant info - thank you! I half thought the “Beautiful world” title wasn’t accurate and based on that listened to as many tracks by both the artist and the group as I could find online in the hope of finding it - but with no success.

So it appears someone’s decided to press a dance-floor edit, so to speak, aimed at DJs specifically. Would love to hear it’s a legit release, but with no artist, songwriter, or any other credits on the 12” and 7” Moton releases, it does appear to have bootleg written all over it. Perhaps someone in the know can correct or clarify.

And can anyone offer up anything about the JLM release? 

Bought a copy of the Moton 7” yesterday thinking it was perhaps an issue of an unreleased track (especially having seen the names associated with the label on their Facebook page), but seeing nothing could be found to substantiate that (and being unable to find any info at all), I can’t help but feel there’s bit of a dupe going on.

Someone please tell me I’m wrong. 

OK, so....Moton Records, Inc. is a re-edit label. Various producers under various guises rework tracks and turn them into club friendly records. They've been on the circuit for many years and have released a number of tracks that have become DJ tools.

None of their releases are carvers.....they are pressed in relatively small quantities so to actually make any money out of them is virtually impossible. It's really done for the love, quite honestly.

I've released two 12"s with them, re-editing a total of 5 tracks....re-arranging, eq'ing and adding additional percussive elements to beef the tracks up for a modern club setting.

The track in question in this thread was reworked by David Hill (ex-Nuphonic) and sharpens the original Greene Sisters cut into a floor stompin', compact and concise winner. The identity of this track has been known for some time in clubbing circles, and only now is it trickling into the 'northern' sect....thanks to plays by Mr. Fish, and I guess me too....it's been a fixture in my playbox (for the relevant clubs) for some time.

Hope that answers a few questions. Cheers!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/10/2018 at 20:52, Amsterdam Russ said:

Edna Isaac and the Greene Sisters - It’s a beautiful world. A fantastic, uptempo and uplifting gospel number, and new to me until recently, but what’s the story with it in terms of releases?

There are only two clear mentions I can find of it online. One is in a Steve Clancy/Mr Fish playlist on here in which he lists it as being on JLM. The other is on Discogs where the artist’s name is given in the comments under a three-track 12” release on the Moton record label from 2009 where the artist/group isn’t named at all. The person providing the comment identifies it as being Edna Isaac & the Greene Sisters, and points out that it was also released on Moton as a 7”.

The Moton releases are described on Discogs as being “unofficial”. Does that mean bootlegged? Further, from the Moton Facebook page, it appears Greg Belsen is involved in some way.

Anyone able to provide some clarity here about the JLM release, which I can find no actual reference to beyond Steve’s playlist, and the validity of the Moton releases?

I have found this on line which refers to Pastor Edna

https://www.marchfh.com/obituaries/Catherine-Greene/#!/Obituary

They are clearly from Baltimore

Social source share

14 hours ago, Greg Belson said:

OK, so....Moton Records, Inc. is a re-edit label. Various producers under various guises rework tracks and turn them into club friendly records. They've been on the circuit for many years and have released a number of tracks that have become DJ tools.

None of their releases are carvers.....they are pressed in relatively small quantities so to actually make any money out of them is virtually impossible. It's really done for the love, quite honestly.

I've released two 12"s with them, re-editing a total of 5 tracks....re-arranging, eq'ing and adding additional percussive elements to beef the tracks up for a modern club setting.

The track in question in this thread was reworked by David Hill (ex-Nuphonic) and sharpens the original Greene Sisters cut into a floor stompin', compact and concise winner. The identity of this track has been known for some time in clubbing circles, and only now is it trickling into the 'northern' sect....thanks to plays by Mr. Fish, and I guess me too....it's been a fixture in my playbox (for the relevant clubs) for some time.

Hope that answers a few questions. Cheers!

Thanks for the info, Greg. With no artist/writer/publisher credits on the labels at all, and a made-up song title, I take it this isn't an officially licensed release! Isn't this just bootlegging?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Thanks for the info, Greg. With no artist/writer/publisher credits on the labels at all, and a made-up song title, I take it this isn't an officially licensed release! Isn't this just bootlegging?

As I've already mentioned, everything released on Moton is an edit.....so generally, tracks that are re-arranged, re-eq'd with more often than not, added percussive elements. 

Bootlegs are straight lifts of an artists work....edits are a totally different market and mindset, pressed in small numbers, to appeal to a particular type of dancefloor. I doubt many edits are licensed, unless tracks like Blueboy's 'Remember Me' start to take off and sell many 1,000's....then a license would be required, f'sure.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Greg Belson said:

As I've already mentioned, everything released on Moton is an edit.....so generally, tracks that are re-arranged, re-eq'd with more often than not, added percussive elements. 

Bootlegs are straight lifts of an artists work....edits are a totally different market and mindset, pressed in small numbers, to appeal to a particular type of dancefloor. I doubt many edits are licensed, unless tracks like Blueboy's 'Remember Me' start to take off and sell many 1,000's....then a license would be required, f'sure.

Problem here is no copyright info and it's therefore got to be suspect unless someone can supply confirmation

Social source share

4 hours ago, Greg Belson said:

Edit, sample, makes no difference, royalties should be paid and credit made. They are bootlegs, as in not officially licensed, if they contain a whole or sampled part of a song. Whichever way it's dressed up the original artist/publisher is being ripped off.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Not interested in tunes with the same or a similar title, to be honest. But thanks anyway. More interested in the legal boundaries surrounding whether it’s legit to “edit” a track in some way (so it’s an enhanced version of itself?) or whether it’s just bootlegging. 

I appreciated that in law it’s entirely possible to creatively redesign an existing work to the degree that the new work becomes something unique, and thus is deemed to be an original, but are the differences in this tune enough?

I can’t see that editing a track down and fiddling with the EQ is enough to make it an original work (and I also appreciate some of the nuanced differences between US and UK/EU law relative to this type of scenario).

I don’t make any statements or claims about the legal validity, I’m only after clarification about what they might be here.

Anyone?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!