Jump to content
  • Sign Up
carl baxter

What’s the most you’ve paid for a record

Recommended Posts

Sorry if this has been done before,but I was just wondering with

all the crazy prices around.

what is the most you’ve paid for a record. Do you regret it or do 

you class it as money in the bank,especially with current interest rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely it's how LITTLE you've paid for a record...

Joann Courcy mint demo £20 about 30 years ago when it was in high demand off (black) Ivor Allen (ended up giving it to a close friend who'd had his records nicked as it was the one 45 he had really wanted but didn't have).

Other than that never paid over a ton- though I haven't bought anything of real value for about 20 years - several I used to have are easily in the £2-3k bracket now.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only have approx. 150 records, never paid more than a fiver, most came for free when nobody wanted them. Hung on to them being a hoarder of unwanted trifles. Now have an extremely desirable OV Hotbox worth a hefty sum.

Which reminds me, must sell up soon before a great many huge collections are floated on the market!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Probably the day me and a mate went on the train to Southend and l picked up a pile of records from a charity shop for a fiver  and lost me wallet on the way home that had at least £130 in it 😪

Bummer Pete, good job that box had those two Mel Britts! Every cloud old son eh! :hatsoff2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most for me was a Black ABC issue copy of the Trends - Thanks For A Little Lovin paid £420 thinking I got a bargain for a rare record but then I got hit with import duty which put the final bill over 500.. Missus finally left me after that purchase.... :facepalm:    

                                  

 

R-9178708-1476151521-3109.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bruv said:

Most for me was a Black ABC issue copy of the Trends - Thanks For A Little Lovin paid £420 thinking I got a bargain for a rare record but then I got hit with import duty which put the final bill over 500.. Missus finally left me after that purchase.... :facepalm:    

                                  

 

R-9178708-1476151521-3109.jpeg.jpg

Ah, but you’ve still got the record to remind you of happy times... Me, I’m trying to forget those large outlays from decades ago. Once upon a time, I listed all the records bought and the prices paid. When returning to the scene in the 90’s, I resolved not to do this and not to count the cost. As I see it, some records are picked up cheaply and others are too expensive, but hopefully things average out over the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dobber said:

1330 quid for jay d martin....haha only kidding,wasnt me honest!

I know you have spent a few more pounds than that Mr Edwards but it's not for me to say....hope your well lee...kind regards...Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£350 

 Stateside Demo of the Invitations 

  I've only ever wanted 4 records,  All UK,     this was one of them !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhilT said:

Paid plenty for my two all-time top wants: Combinations on Kellmac and Prophets on Shrine; sold other, v good stuff to buy both and look at or play them as often as poss.

What I paid and what they might sell for now or in future is an absolute irrelevance tbh. I own my two favourite records and never thought I would, not for a second.

Loads of 45s come and go but some never will. Comes down to how much they mean to you I guess, that and whether you’re starving (I’d choose starvation though).

I’ve done without all sorts to buy my records and would absolutely do so again to keep the ones that mean the most. Really big part of my life for forty years and certainly not an investment, fad or exercise in showing off. Anyone fitting those bills deserves everything they get.

Prophets on Shrine was my most expensive too, and, similarly was one of my two most wanted at the time. The other one is actually rarer, and though they are both great double-siders the second one was a good deal cheaper.

I suspect the amount I paid for the Prophets will always be the highest ... but you never know!?!

Wish I'd paid 'too much' for Walter and the Admerations when it was £4 on Soul Bowl's list in the late 1970s ... !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peter Richer said:

Prophets on Shrine was my most expensive too, and, similarly was one of my two most wanted at the time. The other one is actually rarer, and though they are both great double-siders the second one was a good deal cheaper.

I suspect the amount I paid for the Prophets will always be the highest ... but you never know!?!

Wish I'd paid 'too much' for Walter and the Admerations when it was £4 on Soul Bowl's list in the late 1970s ... !!

Walter and the Ads is one of about four records I’d pay heavily to own Pete. Hope you’re well mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pablorally said:

£57 demo including shipping & I'm still in shock. Lol... 🎃

R-4278258-1360508543-7597.jpeg.jpg

Ooh,that's the start of it, 50 odd quid now and you'll promise yourself it's a "one off". Couple of years down the line and you'll be blowing 500 on a record without blinking 😂 Trust me 😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, John A said:

Ooh,that's the start of it, 50 odd quid now and you'll promise yourself it's a "one off". Couple of years down the line and you'll be blowing 500 on a record without blinking 😂 Trust me 😫

I trust you john.....

a one off really I said that 40+ yrs ago 

trying to flog a few to pay the £400+ ive spent today on 2 records lol

Edited by russoul1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

30 minutes ago, russoul1 said:

I trust you john.....

a one off really I said that 40+ yrs ago 

trying to flog a few to pay the £400+ ive spent today on 2 records lol

 

Hahaha..... 👍 I'm going to say.... I don't think so..... 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PhilT said:

Paid plenty for my two all-time top wants: Combinations on Kellmac and Prophets on Shrine; sold other, v good stuff to buy both and look at or play them as often as poss.

What I paid and what they might sell for now or in future is an absolute irrelevance tbh. I own my two favourite records and never thought I would, not for a second.

Loads of 45s come and go but some never will. Comes down to how much they mean to you I guess, that and whether you’re starving (I’d choose starvation though).

I’ve done without all sorts to buy my records and would absolutely do so again to keep the ones that mean the most. Really big part of my life for forty years and certainly not an investment, fad or exercise in showing off. Anyone fitting those bills deserves everything they get.

Have you got'em insured against Earthquakes Phil ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£500 for Otis Lee, this was Friday night at Cleethorpes Weekender and that was my entire weekend's spends!! Thank god my friend's looked after me that weekend!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought most of my 38,000 45s for between 5 and 25¢ US or Canadian, and bought a few hundred for $1-$3 US and Canadian, and £1-£5 Stirling, and most of  500 78s for between 10¢ and 75¢ US, and most of 4,000 LPs from between 50¢ and $5 US/Canadian.  I HAVE swapped records worth in 4 figures for multiple records adding to similar value.  But never put out much cash.  The most cash I paid for a record was $50 US for an original Yvonne Vernee - "Just Like you Did Me" on SonBert on auction, in near mint condition around 1979 or 1980.  That was a tremendous amount of money for me to give up in those days.  It's a LOT of money for me even now, especially given that I'm going to retire this coming June, and will not be earning much money after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RobbK said:

I bought most of my 38,000 45s for between 5 and 25¢ US or Canadian, and bought a few hundred for $1-$3 US and Canadian, and £1-£5 Stirling, and most of  500 78s for between 10¢ and 75¢ US, and most of 4,000 LPs from between 50¢ and $5 US/Canadian.  I HAVE swapped records worth in 4 figures for multiple records adding to similar value.  But never put out much cash.  The most cash I paid for a record was $50 US for an original Yvonne Vernee - "Just Like you Did Me" on SonBert on auction, in near mint condition around 1979 or 1980.  That was a tremendous amount of money for me to give up in those days.  It's a LOT of money for me even now, especially given that I'm going to retire this coming June, and will not be earning much money after that. 

If you need some storage call me   mates rates of course    atb Pete  👅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pablorally said:

You'll have your records as a pension. Hahaha

I started buying my records in 1953.  95% were obtained by 1974. A few hundred is all I've gotten since then (in trade with NS collectors/dealers, and a few score bought from John Anderson on visits to King's Lynn).  I don't think I've added a record since 1993.  Most of those from UK were added 1974-1989.  My records are all like old friends to me.  I'd rather die than sell them.  I'll live with them in a storage barn in the eastern Netherlands before I'll sell one off.  My goal is to die with them together, intact.  I still hope to donate them to an "African-American Music(Record) Museum located in The Netherlands (preferably Den Haag, or somewhere else in Zuid Holland (if not, near Haarlem or Heerhugowaard, in Noord Holland) (where I can also be one of the "curators/guides/docents).  But, I'm still hoping for some governmental help (at least for the building).

Edited by RobbK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first started collecting soul records in 1975, buying new releases and Northern from Jumbo Records, Virgin in Leeds, and the weekly fix of the list from Soulbowl coming through the letterbox. My most expensive purchases at this time were £15 for Matt Lucas Baby You Better Go Go, bought in the Precinct Pub, Leeds, getting through to Soulbowl very nervous and asking for Shane Martin I Need You listed at £20, it had already gone so bought the Jewels We Got Togetherness for £15. Both buys in 1977, and a lot of money at the time, as my salary  was £25 a week. A year later I got into jazz funk and disco and my collection of about 150 records was consigned to the attic.  In 1981 the girl I was seeing pestered me to buy a car, ended up selling nearly all the records for £60 to go towards a mini. This included lots of records bought from Soulbowl e.g. Don Thomas, The Sapphires, Slow Fizz and Matt Lucas. For some reason I kept the Al Foster Band, K-Jee by the Nightlighters, Lamont Dozier Going Back to My Roots and Jean Carne If You Wanna Go Back. The relationship and the car did not survive.

Moved to London in 1993 and a couple of years later came across a CD in HMV Oxford Street called Dance, Dance, Dance a collection of 20 Northern Soul Classics. This reignited my passion for Northern, started collecting the Goldmine CD''s and in 1997 decided to start collecting vinyl , my first purchase and one I had bought from Soulbowl over 20 years previously Fantastic Johnny C  Waiting for the Rain.  The most I have spent is £175 for a RCA demo of Hold on Judy Freeman, about six or seven years ago, some others around the £50 to £80 mark - What Kind of Lady, Linda Jones, Breakaway Valentines etc.

I have enjoyed collecting again, coming across new sounds to my ears, (e.g. Stafford, Crossover, Latin) and the tunes highlighted by members on Soul Source

My other half is Spanish and does not understand why I need to buy vinyl when you can download it, and why I always ask for Soul Box sets at Christmas - (must have got lost on translation last year, she bought me golf lessons 😫

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For many years it was a £100 limit then it went £150 before I knew it was up to £300. Which I never got round to exceeding.  Almost bought my favourite ever record when i was offered one for £1000 less than the going rate . If it had been in good condition i probably would have bought it.  it looked like it had been a frisbee on the M6 for a few months .that's the only thing that stopped me,  for that sort of money it needed to be in really good condition 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

For many years it was a £100 limit then it went £150 before I knew it was up to £300. Which I never got round to exceeding.  Almost bought my favourite ever record when i was offered one for £1000 less than the going rate . If it had been in good condition i probably would have bought it.  it looked like it had been a frisbee on the M6 for a few months .that's the only thing that stopped me,  for that sort of money it needed to be in really good condition 

Steve 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JulianB said:

6 shillings and 8pence. I stopped collecting in 1967!

Surely you jest!                (Don't call me Shirley! :rofl:)

Is that really true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, soulwolf said:

I first started collecting soul records in 1975, buying new releases and Northern from Jumbo Records, Virgin in Leeds, and the weekly fix of the list from Soulbowl coming through the letterbox. My most expensive purchases at this time were £15 for Matt Lucas Baby You Better Go Go, bought in the Precinct Pub, Leeds, getting through to Soulbowl very nervous and asking for Shane Martin I Need You listed at £20, it had already gone so bought the Jewels We Got Togetherness for £15. Both buys in 1977, and a lot of money at the time, as my salary  was £25 a week. A year later I got into jazz funk and disco and my collection of about 150 records was consigned to the attic.  In 1981 the girl I was seeing pestered me to buy a car, ended up selling nearly all the records for £60 to go towards a mini. This included lots of records bought from Soulbowl e.g. Don Thomas, The Sapphires, Slow Fizz and Matt Lucas. For some reason I kept the Al Foster Band, K-Jee by the Nightlighters, Lamont Dozier Going Back to My Roots and Jean Carne If You Wanna Go Back. The relationship and the car did not survive.

Moved to London in 1993 and a couple of years later came across a CD in HMV Oxford Street called Dance, Dance, Dance a collection of 20 Northern Soul Classics. This reignited my passion for Northern, started collecting the Goldmine CD''s and in 1997 decided to start collecting vinyl , my first purchase and one I had bought from Soulbowl over 20 years previously Fantastic Johnny C  Waiting for the Rain.  The most I have spent is £175 for a RCA demo of Hold on Judy Freeman, about six or seven years ago, some others around the £50 to £80 mark - What Kind of Lady, Linda Jones, Breakaway Valentines etc.

I have enjoyed collecting again, coming across new sounds to my ears, (e.g. Stafford, Crossover, Latin) and the tunes highlighted by members on Soul Source

My other half is Spanish and does not understand why I need to buy vinyl when you can download it, and why I always ask for Soul Box sets at Christmas - (must have got lost on translation last year, she bought me golf lessons 😫

 

I had a German girlfriend who actually wanted me to go to a doctor because of my irrational addiction to vinyl. No kidding!

Most paid for a 45? £1000. She may have had a point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought I travel alone Lou Ragland (all 2 minutes of it) off pat Brady for £1000 at cleethorpes and had of course to put it on credit card. Within five minutes the misses was on the phone - the credit card co had called home to check it was valid. Always owned up since..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LiamGP said:

I had a German girlfriend who actually wanted me to go to a doctor because of my irrational addiction to vinyl. No kidding!

Most paid for a 45? £1000. She may have had a point..

10 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

I bought I travel alone Lou Ragland (all 2 minutes of it) off pat Brady for £1000 at cleethorpes and had of course to put it on credit card. Within five minutes the misses was on the phone - the credit card co had called home to check it was valid. Always owned up since..........

Hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soulwolf said:

I first started collecting soul records in 1975, buying new releases and Northern from Jumbo Records, Virgin in Leeds, and the weekly fix of the list from Soulbowl coming through the letterbox. My most expensive purchases at this time were £15 for Matt Lucas Baby You Better Go Go, bought in the Precinct Pub, Leeds, getting through to Soulbowl very nervous and asking for Shane Martin I Need You listed at £20, it had already gone so bought the Jewels We Got Togetherness for £15. Both buys in 1977, and a lot of money at the time, as my salary  was £25 a week. A year later I got into jazz funk and disco and my collection of about 150 records was consigned to the attic.  In 1981 the girl I was seeing pestered me to buy a car, ended up selling nearly all the records for £60 to go towards a mini. This included lots of records bought from Soulbowl e.g. Don Thomas, The Sapphires, Slow Fizz and Matt Lucas. For some reason I kept the Al Foster Band, K-Jee by the Nightlighters, Lamont Dozier Going Back to My Roots and Jean Carne If You Wanna Go Back. The relationship and the car did not survive.

Moved to London in 1993 and a couple of years later came across a CD in HMV Oxford Street called Dance, Dance, Dance a collection of 20 Northern Soul Classics. This reignited my passion for Northern, started collecting the Goldmine CD''s and in 1997 decided to start collecting vinyl , my first purchase and one I had bought from Soulbowl over 20 years previously Fantastic Johnny C  Waiting for the Rain.  The most I have spent is £175 for a RCA demo of Hold on Judy Freeman, about six or seven years ago, some others around the £50 to £80 mark - What Kind of Lady, Linda Jones, Breakaway Valentines etc.

I have enjoyed collecting again, coming across new sounds to my ears, (e.g. Stafford, Crossover, Latin) and the tunes highlighted by members on Soul Source

My other half is Spanish and does not understand why I need to buy vinyl when you can download it, and why I always ask for Soul Box sets at Christmas - (must have got lost on translation last year, she bought me golf lessons 😫

 

That also sounds like my life story as well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JulianB said:

6 shillings and 8pence. I stopped collecting in 1967!

 

4 hours ago, RobbK said:

Surely you jest!                (Don't call me Shirley! :rofl:)

Is that really true?

He is deadly serious Robb, he's never really got the hang of the new fangled decimal currency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobbK said:

 My goal is to die with them together, intact.  I still hope to donate them to an "African-American Music(Record) Museum located in The Netherlands (preferably Den Haag, or somewhere else in Zuid Holland (if not, near Haarlem or Heerhugowaard, in Noord Holland) (where I can also be one of the "curators/guides/docents).  But, I'm still hoping for some governmental help (at least for the building).

That’s a great idea Robb ( esp as you’re retiring). Sort of a retirement home for old soulless. Presumably the museum warehouse has decks and booths and coffee bar where we can all chill and spend hours talking matrix numbers and alternate versions. I can just envisage it and others where we bring our golf buggies laden with donations (no motorised shopping carts/ electric wheel chairs for us) and have all dayers. The museum could have a sales room for old or double stock and artisans could do record framing to boost income. Maybe convert an old barn for Airbnb. I’d like to apply for assistant curator........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£20 a single and about the same for an LP and you know I have some great records that I still go back to  today that give me great enjoyment.

I have never collected records from a collecting sense just acquired records along the way for enjoyment .

Cds only are my only purchases now.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kegsy said:

 

He is deadly serious Robb, he's never really got the hang of the new fangled decimal currency.

Ha! Ha!  I believed his several Schilling limit.  It was the stopped collecting in 1967 I thought was the joke.  That would mean he's added no records since then.  Even I, who essentially stopped seriously looking for records in 1972, when The British NS and deep Soul collectors, Japanese Soul collectors, Americans looking for Belgian Shag and Beach scene records started picking everything clean, and I started spending 3/4 of the year in Africa, Asia and Europe.  Although I did by a few records in Holland, and a few hundred in The UK after 1972, those amounted to less than 1 % of my collection amount.  

So, Julian B.  is it really true that you are a NS fan, but you didn't add ANY records to your collection since 1967?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rictic66 said:

That’s a great idea Robb ( esp as you’re retiring). Sort of a retirement home for old soulless. Presumably the museum warehouse has decks and booths and coffee bar where we can all chill and spend hours talking matrix numbers and alternate versions. I can just envisage it and others where we bring our golf buggies laden with donations (no motorised shopping carts/ electric wheel chairs for us) and have all dayers. The museum could have a sales room for old or double stock and artisans could do record framing to boost income. Maybe convert an old barn for Airbnb. I’d like to apply for assistant curator........

Right now it's just a dream.  We brought up the idea a few years ago, and some government officials mentioned that we'd probably have no hope receiving government help in the form of a grant, due to ongoing budget problems.  The best we could hope for might possibly be the donation of an old building that is not desirable for commercial use.  But even that happening might take a lucky break.  I might have to buy an old farmhouse in a remote village in the east of the country, and convert the barn.  It might be ironic, if I'll have to sell off my 5 or 10  most valuable records to do that (which would prevent them from being displayed in the museum).  😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Ha! Ha!  I believed his several Schilling limit.  It was the stopped collecting in 1967 I thought was the joke.  That would mean he's added no records since then.  Even I, who essentially stopped seriously looking for records in 1972, when The British NS and deep Soul collectors, Japanese Soul collectors, Americans looking for Belgian Shag and Beach scene records started picking everything clean, and I started spending 3/4 of the year in Africa, Asia and Europe.  Although I did by a few records in Holland, and a few hundred in The UK after 1972, those amounted to less than 1 % of my collection amount.  

So, Julian B.  is it really true that you are a NS fan, but you didn't add ANY records to your collection since 1967?

Hi Robb, sorry I tell porkies (slang for lies)

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the US $140 for 'I Wanna Tell My Baby'/ Lover Come Back'     DTown     1990

In the UK £80 for 'Queen of Fools UK Hickory issue

£80 for an Inspirations on Breakthrough 1sided orig

Paid £60 for a London demo of D Banks Our Love is/Open the (mint) but got a £40 speeding fine on the way home having collected it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.