What’s the most you’ve paid for a record

carl baxter

Most I've paid was a tenner for Frankie beverly if that's what you wanted on sassy in 1977 at lilleshall near the Welsh border where the England team used to train ( I was there on a weeks table tennis coaching ) 

Found the lad I bought it off and his mates rummaging through our rooms the next day looking for it ( got sent home early for what happened to them )  😬😬

Still got the record and in great condition

Neal

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Paid £5 for the Buckinghams - Don’t You Care in 1977, without the picture sleeve. 

Was a lot of money then, and I could perhaps buy it for that (or less) now inc pic sleeve 🤣

Why would you pay so much for a hit???  I would have guessed you could have found that 2nd hand in a bargain bin or in a charity shop.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

18 hours ago, LiamGP said:

I had a German girlfriend who actually wanted me to go to a doctor because of my irrational addiction to vinyl. No kidding!

Most paid for a 45? £1000. She may have had a point...

Not the right lady for you, or any record collector.  If you love a person, you accept them with all their faults. - ESPECIALLY if those faults are victimless.  Only if your spending on records would lead to your family members starving, or unable to get medical care, should you seek medical care.  Did your spending that £1000, and your other spending affect HER lifestyle?  You two ate white bread and margerine sandwiches instead of eating at restaurants?  You gave her cigar rings for her birthdays and Christmas?

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, RobbK said:

Not the right lady for you, or any record collector.  If you love a person, you accept them with all their faults. - ESPECIALLY if those faults are victimless.  Only if your spending on records would lead to your family members starving, or unable to get medical care, should you seek medical care.  Did your spending that £1000, and your other spending affect HER lifestyle?  You two ate white bread and margerine sandwiches instead of eating at restaurants?  You gave her cigar rings for her birthdays and Christmas?

A typical thrifty, sensible 'Spießer Mädchen'. She had problems getting her head around my British subculture lifestyle then. Apart from records, she was mystified as to why I would choose to own a customised Lambretta rather than a car; had a more obsessive interest in clothes than her and she even told her parents that I was an alcoholic because I would drink 4 or 5 pints when we went out at the weekend. But she came to love RnB and soul music although not on vinyl. We're still good friends and she married a thrifty, sensible guy whose favourite group is the...Bay City Rollers! Oh dear...

Edited by LiamGP
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Before the t ' Internet came along.....it was possible to compare the soul bowl list, and Johnny Manship list......and sometimes there would be a relative significant price difference on one or two singles.

On a couple of occasions I called one of them and said for example....you've got Ronnie Forte at £15.....can I trade my mint copy with you for £15 of swops... and normally it was affirmative. Then I'd buy the £8 copy being offered by the other dealer and do the deal.

A few bob could be made on such practice and everybody was happy..

Happy days!

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Spello
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Gilly said:

In the US $140 for 'I Wanna Tell My Baby'/ Lover Come Back'     DTown     1990

In the UK £80 for 'Queen of Fools UK Hickory issue

£80 for an Inspirations on Breakthrough 1sided orig

Paid £60 for a London demo of D Banks Our Love is/Open the (mint) but got a £40 speeding fine on the way home having collected it.

is that the original male vocal inspirations? cant be many of them,t massey has one doesnt he? serious money!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, dobber said:

is that the original male vocal inspirations? cant be many of them,t massey has one doesnt he? serious money!

Yes it is, don't have it anymore sadly and still only one of four copies ever to my knowledge, I think the currant owners are like you say Ted, and im sure Ginger, Mick Smith and maybe Tim Brown retained my old copy but not sure. If anyone wants to talk about what is rare, well this is rare 4 copies and its stood the test of time

Social source share

@ £2000 in trades for Milton James on Dore from JM when he brought that light blue DJ copy back from LA in the mid 90's - played it out at the Griffin, Leeds. Brit, Notts. Wilton, Embankment, Wellingboro'. and other venues. Eventually succumbed to a pretty please from Maria Willingham in the later 90's - They had been interested in the 45 when John brought it home ( he only lived a few hundred yards from me ) but after playing it numerous times I took  the plunge. Sold it for less than the trades  value I paid but some of those trades were $5 Tangeers issue / $12 Andrea Henry issue so didn't feel so bad at the time. Never imagined the price inflation that would  continue.  I still believe it is a single copy sound - at the time it was undocumented in the discography of Dore. Strange one as well with a 33sec. instrumental intro before the vocal kicks in.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Now that to me is one that sounds fantastic irrespective of price - just one of those - 'own it before I die sounds'  Got the big ones but never seen one available. Remember Ted playing it a some gig and the locals moaning ' what's this shite' - heathens, whilst I'm going thru' my I'm not worthy routine.

Awesome

• Up vote 1
Social source share

brought a "buy it now" 45 of something I already had $75 thinking could sell on for £150.00, record arrived not said record but a miss press 

put it up on here for info on song/singer......week later was back on its way to the US $750.00.....not a bad return

most ive spent £800.00....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, vadnochka said:

@ £2000 in trades for Milton James on Dore from JM when he brought that light blue DJ copy back from LA in the mid 90's - played it out at the Griffin, Leeds. Brit, Notts. Wilton, Embankment, Wellingboro'. and other venues. Eventually succumbed to a pretty please from Maria Willingham in the later 90's - They had been interested in the 45 when John brought it home ( he only lived a few hundred yards from me ) but after playing it numerous times I took  the plunge. Sold it for less than the trades  value I paid but some of those trades were $5 Tangeers issue / $12 Andrea Henry issue so didn't feel so bad at the time. Never imagined the price inflation that would  continue.  I still believe it is a single copy sound - at the time it was undocumented in the discography of Dore. Strange one as well with a 33sec. instrumental intro before the vocal kicks in.

So, is this the copy that ended up with Butch or did the Willinghams hang onto theirs making it two known copies perhaps? Butch spent a considerable sum on his copy and had to work hard to get the audience to appreciate it more fully.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/10/2018 at 08:52, bbrich said:

Admirations you left/want to be free.  almost certainly way too much just had to have it when the chance came at £2.5k a side.  actually never regretted any big spend only those i didnt go for. 

A friend who asked how much i paid for a record said 'you must have more money than sense', I replied 'that was always my ambition'.......

I paid $3,600 for my copy last year plus £300 in bank loan interest charges. If yours was the copy that Manship auctioned a few months ago, it made me appreciate how lucky I was to snag the record and what a shrewd buy it was. Definitely one of the best double-siders ever and only the luckiest few on planet earth will enjoy the benefits of ownership.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/10/2018 at 10:06, Gilly said:

Yes it is, don't have it anymore sadly and still only one of four copies ever to my knowledge, I think the currant owners are like you say Ted, and im sure Ginger, Mick Smith and maybe Tim Brown retained my old copy but not sure. If anyone wants to talk about what is rare, well this is rare 4 copies and its stood the test of time

Gilly I know of mine which has Ian Gillibrand in the run outs, Mick Smith and Carl Dean he has had it 2/3 years. Don’t know where the other one is 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

Gilly I know of mine which has Ian Gillibrand in the run outs, Mick Smith and Carl Dean he has had it 2/3 years. Don’t know where the other one is 

Hi Ted, someone mentioned this Gillibrand to me before, it has nothing to do with me, I have never written on a record. Doesn't Ginger have one ?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 03/11/2018 at 10:02, Gilly said:

Hi Ted, someone mentioned this Gillibrand to me before, it has nothing to do with me, I have never written on a record. Doesn't Ginger have one ?

Hi Gilly not sure if Ginger has it. There’s a picture of Richard Searling and Ian holding the said record I think at Wigan 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Shufflin
On 30/03/2019 at 08:37, Bruv said:

which puts my spending on one single over £600 The new Washing Machine will have to wait again!

it's a slippery slope isn't it, been wondering if I'm spending too much on soul vinyl recently, it's addictive in a way, but it's spare money and like you say who wants a washing machine instead  🙂

Social source share

4 hours ago, shufflin said:

it's a slippery slope isn't it, been wondering if I'm spending too much on soul vinyl recently, it's addictive in a way, but it's spare money and like you say who wants a washing machine instead  🙂

All my money has gone on Women and Beer, the rest I have wasted.... :wink: 

Social source share

Less I spent & most sold for was Herby Brown One More Broken Heart paid either 10 or 20p from a record shop in Chapel Street Market London 1980/81. It was a newish release, shop owner used to get new stuff from Moondogs & if they didn't sell he would chuck them in the bargain box. Fast forward approx 20years & it's in manships book @ £2k. Eventually agreed £1600 with a collector abroad. He sent cash in three packs of cheap crap records, 500, 500 & 590. The last one they ran out of sterling at his bank & he said he'd forward it on. I told him to buy himself a beer instead 🙂 

A few weeks after I sold it Randy Mather PM'd me on here asking if i would send him an mp3 of it. He'd played Sax in the studio but had never heard the record or even the finished version, sadly I couldn't help out. Strange thing was I only bought it because I recognized the name Randy Mather

Also picked up a copy of Tom - Emmanuel And Ron Experience - When You Lose Your Groove, again for 10 or 20p in the same shop plus loads of motown but nothing rare.

As many others I'm sure you always wonder what you left through lack of knowledge

Social source share

On 09/11/2018 at 17:51, vadnochka said:

Amazing - found a copy in my Knackered / duds box in the loft

Sod that looking for records in the usual places (record stores/record fairs etc etc) think how many great records are sat gathering dust dust in people's knaqckered/dud boxes? I go weak at the kness thinking'bout it.

I vaguely remember Carl Fortnum telling me once many many years ago about a rare 45 (mucho knackered) that he'd glued to his bedhead or something? Years later they started playing the flip side so he carefully pulled it off wherever he'd stuck it onto and either started playing it himself or sold it on.

Dx

Social source share

Sent a wants list off to a bloke who was a session musician back in 6ts in detroit. I thought i might get a few decent ric tic items etc. Ended up getting mint Gwen owens, camaros, Pat Lewis,  buddy Smith, 6 copies of utopias and several other big ticket items. Sold them all years ago and made a decent profit. Those were the days alright. 

Greg

Edited by liam2005
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!