Is this lady one in the same please?

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I guess they are the same person, with a 3 year gap between the releases ... but even though you'd think confirmation would be found on the net, I can't find any interview info on Helena ... her 45 was a Top 30 soul hit & top 100 pop hit in late 67 (it was a sleeper as it had been released that August). The Ohio Players are supposed to be the musicians on her hit track (they had a Compass 45 release not long after her 45 was issued). Looking at her Compass promo pic, she does seem old enough to have cut other stuff 3 years earlier.

Her Compass stuff was bought in by the label but they eventually got behind it (& her) ... they organised a US tour for her (to promote her follow-up 45) in early 68.

Sir Shambling likes her stuff but he didn't make any connection with the 20th Century Fox lady ...

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/F/helena_ferguson/index.php

CompassRecsAd67b.jpg

CompassRecs67b.jpg

CompassRecs67info.jpg

CompassRecsAd67c.jpg

HelenaFerguson68.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Helena seemed to split from her Dakar Productions / Compass Recs mastermind (Lincoln Kilpatrick) after her 2nd Compass 45 release. She moved on to a deal with Congress Records, where she worked with Freddie Scott / Lou Toby (69). Compass itself ceased business in summer 68.

Lincoln also severed ties with Compass & leased a 45 by the Da-Kars (no doubt his in-house backing band) to Josie early in 68.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Helena seemed to split from her Dakar Productions / Compass Recs mastermind (Lincoln Kilpatrick) after her 2nd Compass 45 release. She moved on to a deal with Congress Records, where she worked with Freddie Scott / Lou Toby (69). Compass itself ceased business in summer 68.

Lincoln also severed ties with Compass & leased a 45 by the Da-Kars (no doubt his in-house backing band) to Josie early in 68.  

Mega stuff.....thanks....hopefully with all this help we will find out :)

Social source share

Hi Chalky - yes Sheila of 3 Degrees had solo recordings on Swan but RobbK suggested that Helen(a) Ferguson cut a record with Swan ... unless it's another Swan label ... but unlikely as Philly lady / Philly label ... or I'm getting the wrong end of the stick .... but the topic was originally about Helena/Helen Ferguson

Social source share

11 hours ago, SoulStrutter said:

Hi Chalky - yes Sheila of 3 Degrees had solo recordings on Swan but RobbK suggested that Helen(a) Ferguson cut a record with Swan ... unless it's another Swan label ... but unlikely as Philly lady / Philly label ... or I'm getting the wrong end of the stick .... but the topic was originally about Helena/Helen Ferguson

Hi mate. I think Robb is maybe getting his Ferguson’s mixed up?

Social source share

22 hours ago, SOUL INC said:

As an aside, it states in one of those presumably 1960's cuttings posted from Roburt that "Hey Woman" by "Kenny Bernard" was making it big in England - Was there any truth to this?

The best way (these days) to check out if a soul release was doing well after it's UK release is to check out old charts in Blues & Soul mag ... ahead of that (say in 66) it's Record Mirror's R&B chart that gives the best indication ..

RecMirrorR&BchartsMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 30/10/2018 at 14:34, the yank said:

I think someone got Helena and Sheila Ferguson mixed up. I've always seen Helena referred to as a "New York singer" not a Philly singer. I did a quick google search and found out she was married to Lincoln Kilpatrick who produced "Where's The Party" and "My Terms". 

Sorry.  You are right.  I misremembered Sheila's name as "Helen", and thought the two must be the same.  My long-term memory is getting worse.  🤯

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!