JEAN CARTER DECCA DEMOS

macca

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just bought what I thought was an 'unplayed' JC demo. it's looks perfect in every way, the label, the vinyl, the corporate sleeve. but on the deck it sounds muffled & bass heavy. is there a history on these? Excuse me while I weep a while.

macca

The mix is certainly a bit muddy, especially at the start

Social source share

Just bought what I thought was an 'unplayed' JC demo. it's looks perfect in every way, the label, the vinyl, the corporate sleeve. but on the deck it sounds muffled & bass heavy. is there a history on these? Excuse me while I weep a while.

macca

Tim Brown once told me that there was an inherent problem with this record. So I never bought it.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

macca

Macca - shame you didnt read the earlier discussion on this - try this link :

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29640

I've been in the same position as you, and the the pain does ease with time..............

Best

John

Social source share

macca

Curiously, the MCA issue (Legit Reissue) plays fine!

Was a BIG record in Rotherham early 70's where the lads affectionately christened it "Jack Carter" for some reason.

A proper record!

Sean

Social source share

woe is me. thanks everybody for your help on this one. the moral of the story is to do a search on here first. this one sounds particularly grim though, a rogue copy of a known rogue? I must be a fussy git, 'cos my malibus also bugs me immensely. way over the top bass & chamber pot lead vocal. or maybe I'm just being a bit too pinickitty. as JM says, we didn't give a toss in the 70's. I'll let him send me another, it's already on its way back to the US.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tim Brown once told me that there was an inherent problem with this record. So I never bought it.

...and Tim was right. Anyone who says that they have a demo that plays fine is being economical with the truth. The record must have been mastered when the cutting stylus was too hot, or perhaps it might have been something that happened in the process of finalising the master - I wasn't there, I don't know for sure...

...however, I do know that my Joey Heatherton "When You Call Me Baby" Decca DEMO - the catalogue number of which comes just three before Jean Carter's - also suffers from the same problem, so it was very likely mastered the same day, by the same person, and on the same machine.

Issues of that, of course, do play fine.

"Like One" was not heard in all its true glory until Ady stuck it on a Kent LP in the 80s....

TONE

Social source share

macca

I have a stock copy and that plays the same,like they say a pressing fault.

Dave f...........

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!