mike

Folding phone available - world first

35 minutes ago, shinehead said:

All this new technology means to me is more perfectly good phones and tvs etc go to waste .

In this day and age with the damage we are doing to the planet maybe we should all make to with the phones we have got and f**k any upgrades.

I am still using a windows phone and it does what I want it to do and till it breaks down it is what I will be keeping !  

My kettle broke the other week and I had to throw it away and buy another one , years ago you just replaced the element or the rubber seal and the kettle was ready to go again , now if it breaks down and it is f**ked  unrepairable like most other electrical items .

Progress ?  regarding waste we have gone backwards.

Electric kettle?  What's this, the Jetsons?

I suppose this is a natural follow on from the roll up tv screens that you can flatten on to the wall or take outside unroll and watch anywhere, loads of demonstration videos on YouTube, Quite fascinating if you are into this sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, shinehead said:

All this new technology means to me is more perfectly good phones and tvs etc go to waste .

In this day and age with the damage we are doing to the planet maybe we should all make to with the phones we have got and f**k any upgrades.

I am still using a windows phone and it does what I want it to do and till it breaks down it is what I will be keeping !  

My kettle broke the other week and I had to throw it away and buy another one , years ago you just replaced the element or the rubber seal and the kettle was ready to go again , now if it breaks down and it is f**ked  unrepairable like most other electrical items .

100% with you on this our kid, hell of a good post!

Before I saw your response I was about to post just one word on the subject: Why? :hatsoff2:

cell_phones.gif

26 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

100% with you on this our kid, hell of a good post!

Before I saw your response I was about to post just one word on the subject: Why? :hatsoff2:

cell_phones.gif

That was exactly my thoughts as well. Just because it can be done doesn`t mean it should be!

Edited by Steve Lane

I received a Mobile Phone as a Early retirement gift from work back in 2014 (the thought of another 12 months work s**t me up)

It's an old Samsung Galaxy Y (young) I've NEVER had it connected to the net, Just use it for phone and text use-age, I use

my Mac for internet use. Previously i had never had a mobile phone of my own (only a work phone) which was handed in when i left work, 

previous i had a works Pager before Mobile Phones, remember those pesky suckers? but seeing all the picture of all those phones in the above posts does make you think how wasteful Most of us are, (just think how it would have been if phones had remained just phones) not so much waste as there is now as everyone just wants to be up there with the latest this that and the other on their phone, and Shineheads post about phone/tv sets wasted because we have to up grade or have a box to use it is mind boggling, To be able to watch or listen to stuff we are constantly been forced into having a new modem or a new tv box etc, currently i have two old tv's, 2 computers + monitors 2 out of date surround sound systems various old obsolete tv boxes that still work but had to replace to continue watching TV etc. and an old satellite dish on my wall, ok a lot of stuff can be re used or recycled but hey (but how much actually does, funny enough on a tv program i was quite surprised when a Top TV personality admitted he has Never had a mobile phone and had no desire to have one, he said they were just a constant irritation, and he wasn't on his own with that one either.  

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:58, shinehead said:

off topic of thread but connected to your reply there was a programme on the BBC a few weeks ago investigating the history of our waste where they gave facts for the amount of precious materials thrown into landfill in mobile phones etc , the fact that wars are fought in some African countries to control those resources, the amount of gold thrown away in phones and computers against the amount of rock that has to be dug up to obtain the gold in the first place. Thy dug up a section of known landfill sites from four different periods in history one I think from memory from the eighties. The perception was that paper by now would have decomposed yet they found because of the lack of oxygen in the ground a newspaper from the eighties that although damp was still readable. I'm wary of facts but they claimed there are now more mobile phones in the world  than people. Near the end of the programme they questioned whether we need to look at how we dispose of material and whether better use could be made of things we don't consider, they showed in an area where lots of people walked their dogs a pilot scheme where a guy to show the principle had invented machine that converted dog poo into energy that then ran a street lamp.  

4 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

off topic of thread but connected to your reply there was a programme on the BBC a few weeks ago investigating the history of our waste where they gave facts for the amount of precious materials thrown into landfill in mobile phones etc , the fact that wars are fought in some African countries to control those resources, the amount of gold thrown away in phones and computers against the amount of rock that has to be dug up to obtain the gold in the first place. Thy dug up a section of known landfill sites from four different periods in history one I think from memory from the eighties. The perception was that paper by now would have decomposed yet they found because of the lack of oxygen in the ground a newspaper from the eighties that although damp was still readable. I'm wary of facts but they claimed there are now more mobile phones in the world  than people. Near the end of the programme they questioned whether we need to look at how we dispose of material and whether better use could be made of things we don't consider, they showed in an area where lots of people walked their dogs a pilot scheme where a guy to show the principle had invented machine that converted dog poo into energy that then ran a street lamp.  

Saw the programme myself and I remember the landfill site which batteries from the fifties buried there were still highly toxic and seeping into the river , mind numbing I think.

What gets me with all the emphasis on us the general public doing our bit for recycling, the manufacturers carry on regardless producing more of the crap to recycle.

Buy some tea bags for instance in a cellophane wrapped box and then inside packed in foil to keep the freshness in they say , what a load of bo**locks it is just not needed .

Today is unfortunately a throw away society.  Nothing is repaired everything is replaced ,

Recycling is a joke we have been conned into having numerous bins in various colours by various councils.  Why isn't there a national system with the same colours nation wide.  Some councils don't allow plastic lids but allow the bottles they where connected to.  Others allow both. Once again money is the driver.  

Some councils only empty general waste bins every 4 weeks. WTF. 

Steve 

Brings back memories of an article i read way back maybe 'Blues and Soul' or 'Black Echoes'  of promotional and Test Pressings of EMI Related stuff (Motown Etc)  being dumped in a land fill site by the truck load, i think it was stated at the time it was so it would not effect Sales of records at the time of release, came to light when music fans were caught rummaging around to salvage what they could, bit of a stink about it at the time. Another article around that time was also mentioning Recycling Vinyl in the USA during an oil  shortage to be able to keep up on the release of vinyl records, think it mentioned that styrene was not recyclable, Anyone one else remember reading these at the time? 

4 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Brings back memories of an article i read way back maybe 'Blues and Soul' or 'Black Echoes'  of promotional and Test Pressings of EMI Related stuff (Motown Etc)  being dumped in a land fill site by the truck load, i think it was stated at the time it was so it would not effect Sales of records at the time of release, came to light when music fans were caught rummaging around to salvage what they could, bit of a stink about it at the time. Another article around that time was also mentioning Recycling Vinyl in the USA during an oil  shortage to be able to keep up on the release of vinyl records, think it mentioned that styrene was not recyclable, Anyone one else remember reading these at the time? 

Yes I do Rick , read a piece about the U.S vinyl , brought visions of molten vinyl in large crucibles !

Fake news back in the day .

12 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Wasn't Sue Lynne.  Don't pity me a victim of the oil crisis in the early 70,s. Resulting in the release only  in the Republic of Ireland and recalled everywhere else or is that just one of those urban myths 

Steve 

On 02/11/2018 at 08:38, mike said:

have to say this impressed me

guess it be expensive and not easily available but the concept is what grabs me

affordable ones to follow in near future?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/First-foldable-smartphone-price-specs-release-date_id110611

those interested 

seems samsung started pushing out their version

_104220720_acce06f8-cd0c-451e-bc25-0727c

looking useful here

cost has to be  the next question

more via

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46130071

Think the next question is why 😉 .Create a problem we dont have and then find a solution and make tons of money in the proccess . 

Fast forward 12 months "How did we ever manage without folding phones  ? "😀

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

Think the next question is why 😉 .Create a problem we dont have and then find a solution and make tons of money in the proccess . 

Fast forward 12 months "How did we ever manage without folding phones  ? "😀

guess it depends on how you use a phone

I'd say a phone that unfolds to a larger screen gonna be useful for some

a tablet in your pocket...

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.