Gloria Barnes Uptown orginal lp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Only just seen this thread.

I've had my copy since 1974 and I expected it to go for more than that on JM's auction site. Depends on who sees it at the time I suppose.

Popsike shows them fetching £1000 + in 2014.

Do you think the value has gone down with the re-issue and cd coming out?

I would sell mine but I'd want more than JM got for it

Kev

Gloria Barnes Front Cover.jpg

Gloria Barnes Rear Cover.jpg

Edited by stateside
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, stateside said:

Only just seen this thread.

I've had my copy since 1974 and I expected it to go for more than that on JM's auction site. Depends on who sees it at the time I suppose.

Popsike shows them fetching £1000 + in 2014.

Do you think the value has gone down with the re-issue and cd coming out?

I would sell mine but I'd want more than JM got for it

Kev

Gloria Barnes Front Cover.jpg

Gloria Barnes Rear Cover.jpg

Re-issues often knock the price and sometimes it works the other way. Where LP's are concerned, it's more about LP collectors who are often a different type of buyer to DJ's.

LP collectors often want the original to "slot" and DJ's may pay big bucks, if there is/are an "Indemand" track/tracks only available on an LP ......supply and demand always works but this LP has 2 markets potentially

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Explained more
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I bought this album in the seventies just to get you don t mean it  before I realised there was  a single  djs probably only want the single and the re issue will effect  the price  e.g. I would buy the cheaper format now as it's the music  i m interested in not what label it's on 

Social source share

Bought mine from Soul Bowl early 90s for £40 and sold with a heavy heart late 90s for what I thought then was a good price £250.The album version is a faster,slightly messier IMO mix to the 45,still got the white demo 45.Great memories from the early days at Wigan and The Mecca!! 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, David Moore said:

Gloria and Towanda  Barnes are the same singer though the lp version is a different recording/mix  from the single on A & M  I think the A & M is an original perhaps someone who knows for sure could tell us

I think that's established it's the same singer.The sleeve notes credit Gloria "Tiwanda" Barnes .I would guess the album version came first? 

Social source share

On 02/03/2019 at 19:09, tomangoes said:

On the subject is this towanda/tiwinda/gloria on vocals?

Could be based on the same record, truth be told!

How's this for a curved ball 😀 I bought this a few years back ......just in case. Someone did say it was legit, but not sure about that.

Anyway, I've always thought it was Gloria on vocals and the Ohio Players' are featured on her album so it would seem safe to make 2+2 = 4. When you listen to the vocals it definitely sounds like her.

Kev

Towanda Barnes 1.jpg

Towanda Barnes 2.jpg

Edited by stateside
Social source share

2 minutes ago, stateside said:

How's this for a curved ball 😀 I bought this a few years back ......just in case. Someone did say it was legit, but not sure about that.

Anyway, I've always thought it was Gloria on vocals and the Ohio Players' are featured on her album so it would seem safe to make 2+2 = 4. When you listen to the vocals it definitely sounds like her.

Kev

Towanda Barnes 1.jpg

Towanda Barnes 2.jpg

That is certainly a boot, its the Lp.  I thought this was the one Blackpoolsoul was referring to?

Social source share

19 minutes ago, chalky said:

That is certainly a boot, its the Lp.  I thought this was the one Blackpoolsoul was referring to?

It was always an album track, but whoever is behind Jo_Mar did this too.  Not sure why anyone would want to boot this!

Are there anymore tracks on this label?

The-Ohio-Players.jpg

Social source share

On 21/11/2018 at 22:41, David Moore said:

Uptown lp Gloria Barnes sold on manship today for £596 fantastic price 

May be just me but I get the impression that prices per se may just have begun to find slightly more realistic levels.

I also see things hanging around unsold / re-listed which would no doubt have gone very quickly a couple or so years ago.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, micksmix said:

Yeah just seen that on 45 cat,always thought it was 70/71 still love both versions whatever the vintage

Thoughts on this version???

Not bad, but not in Towanda class. Lucinda is a bit too polished on this song, but I've heard others by her that pack a bit more emotion.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
2 hours ago, PhilT said:

I also see things hanging around unsold / re-listed which would no doubt have gone very quickly a couple or so years ago

Beggin' was auctioned on JM last week, went for £116, so that's not a sign of prices finding slightly more realistic levels, that's a record at the cheap end

which ones are you thinking of?

Social source share

😂 You can’t legislate for absolute nutters though can you.

Top of my head, Soul Set, Frankie and Damons and several others I’ve clocked of late. Might just be me as I say. 

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

8 hours ago, PhilT said:

😂 You can’t legislate for absolute nutters though can you.

Top of my head, Soul Set, Frankie and Damons and several others I’ve clocked of late. Might just be me as I say. 

I’ve noticed a fair bit of levelling off the last couple of years for certain stuff, more high end stuff.  Although some lower end stuff is fetching more than it shoud be.  The whole market is still totally skewered price wise mind. 

Social source share

12 hours ago, micksmix said:

Yeah just seen that on 45 cat,always thought it was 70/71 still love both versions whatever the vintage

Thoughts on this version???

Towanda/Gloria, you can hear the hurt and anger, not just in the vocals but the backing too.  This is just too...well , nice if you get my drift. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, chalky said:

Towanda/Gloria, you can hear the hurt and anger, not just in the vocals but the backing too.  This is just too...well , nice if you get my drift. 

Totally agree Chalky , Towanda/Gloria really spew the lyrics out with angst , The Ohio Players version also lacks that certain something it just seems to be going through the motions.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!