WHO AM I???? Im GARDENIA ‘DENA’ BARNES!!!!!!

On 03/11/2018 at 13:27, colouredman said:

C4F233B4-F882-40ED-8FE7-38FB5D10DC88.thumb.jpeg.49e151c9bb766ef42089662435bf2c27.jpeg

Following on from last weeks photo of Nabay, I thought I’d follow up with the other photo everyone also wanted to see: Gardenia ‘Dena’ Barnes.

I was lucky enough to meet her on the same trip I met Nabay in 1991. She was actually very easy to find surprisingly; one lead; one phone call from that lead to her daughter and that was it.

The day Jacqui Kavanagh and I met her she was actually in mourning  at the wake of a close friend, with other ladies at a friends house, but she was still happy to meet us.

She was a lovely lovely lady, and I feel so priveledged to have met and interviewed her; probably the most emotional experience of my whole collecting life. More so when she told me that meeting us,  and finding out about how much her songs were loved over here.... had.......

‘not just made my day, its made my life’.

... priceless!

Again, this is a teaser for more to come, but I thought now was the time for a quick photo.

Sadly she’s not with us anymore, but those lyrics and that plaintive sweet voice will live on with us all forever.

Again, remember you saw this photo here first.

I hope you all enjoy seeing this photo as much ad you’ve enjoyed her songs.

Tim

Wow....worth the wait Tim

Social source share

On 03/11/2018 at 13:27, colouredman said:

C4F233B4-F882-40ED-8FE7-38FB5D10DC88.thumb.jpeg.49e151c9bb766ef42089662435bf2c27.jpeg

Following on from last weeks photo of Nabay, I thought I’d follow up with the other photo everyone also wanted to see: Gardenia ‘Dena’ Barnes.

I was lucky enough to meet her on the same trip I met Nabay in 1991. She was actually very easy to find surprisingly; one lead; one phone call from that lead to her daughter and that was it.

The day Jacqui Kavanagh and I met her she was actually in mourning  at the wake of a close friend, with other ladies at a friends house, but she was still happy to meet us.

She was a lovely lovely lady, and I feel so priveledged to have met and interviewed her; probably the most emotional experience of my whole collecting life. More so when she told me that meeting us,  and finding out about how much her songs were loved over here.... had.......

‘not just made my day, its made my life’.

... priceless!

Again, this is a teaser for more to come, but I thought now was the time for a quick photo.

Sadly she’s not with us anymore, but those lyrics and that plaintive sweet voice will live on with us all forever.

Again, remember you saw this photo here first.

I hope you all enjoy seeing this photo as much ad you’ve enjoyed her songs.

Tim

It's absolutely fantastic to see the photo of Dena Barnes,thanks for sharing it with all of us.I would also like to thank you for providing me with the Darrell Banks red and white stateside demo many years ago. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thank you so much for all the research you have done Tim, its very much appreciated & thank you for sharing it all with us, there should be a proper digital archive some where, where all of this information & photographs can be stored & shared for research & reference.

Thank you & look forward to the further instalments, as a slight aside, I have the booklet that you produced about Robbie Lawson, would it be worth posting that up as well, if it hasn't already been digitally re produced already ?

Kind regards

Russ

Social source share

Yep many thanks Tim, too many who further our education by going that extra yard who don’t get the credit they deserve.  Looking forward greatly to the full interviews.  I have more interest in th8s type of stuff than venues these days, much more fun.   Thank you. 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

Thank you so much for all the research you have done Tim, its very much appreciated & thank you for sharing it all with us, there should be a proper digital archive some where, where all of this information & photographs can be stored & shared for research & reference.

Thank you & look forward to the further instalments, as a slight aside, I have the booklet that you produced about Robbie Lawson, would it be worth posting that up as well, if it hasn't already been digitally re produced already ?

Kind regards

Russ

Cheers Russ, Thank you. I never put it up digitally coz 20 years on Ive still actually got hard copies of the mag left!! I only did a run of 500 and still have about 100 left. Its easy to get the impression that theres a lot of interest in the background stuff, but my experience is that seemingly there isnt 500 people on the scene who would pay to read it.

Unbelievably when i brought out that mag it was less than a fiver and still people wouldnt buy it!! Thats why i never did the follow up mag which was supposed to be the Nabay/Dena Barnes one, but I lost heart after the first one and never bothered. 

Its a real shame, but I think thats the reality; real deep interest isnt as widespread as we think it is.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

Kind regards

Russ

Hi Russ, ive just bought 3 copies off Tim, they are a truly amazing read 

Social source share

2 hours ago, colouredman said:

Cheers Russ, Thank you. I never put it up digitally coz 20 years on Ive still actually got hard copies of the mag left!! I only did a run of 500 and still have about 100 left. Its easy to get the impression that theres a lot of interest in the background stuff, but my experience is that seemingly there isnt 500 people on the scene who would pay to read it.

when i brought out that mag it was less than a fiver and still people wouldnt buy it!! Thats why i never did the follow up mag which was supposed to be the Nabay/Dena Barnes one, but I lost heart after the first one and never bothered. 

Its a real shame, but I think thats the reality; real deep interest isnt as widespread as we think it is.

Hi Tim,I've always been interested in the back ground stuff as you call it.I always wondered what the connection was between Nabay and Bob Babbit as you know Bob co wrote the song under his real name Robert Kreiner. With you putting the photo on here and the write up on Nabay you have answerd that question. Cheers Chris. 

Social source share

26 minutes ago, colouredman said:

Hi Chris, yeah thats right, and it used to make me smile privately when I’d hear of US guys I knew trying to find ‘Robert Kreiner’s’ in Michigan not realising that it was a famous Detroit/Motown guitarist super easy to find and living in Nashville!😀

I can imagine that Tim,I've read several articles about Bob Babbit,he also co wrote and produced Irene and the scotts stuck on my baby along with Mike and Ray.I also read that he slowly started to replace the Great James Jamerson at Motown,when James started becoming more and more unreliable.I think what eventually happened to James,was a real tragedy. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I can imagine that Tim,I've read several articles about Bob Babbit,he also co wrote and produced Irene and the scotts stuck on my baby along with Mike and Ray.I also read that he slowly started to replace the Great James Jamerson at Motown,when James started becoming more and more unreliable.I think what eventually happened to James,was a real tragedy. Chris. 

I love every thing about Jamerson, just read the book on him by Dr Licks, great insight into a great man but sad was his ending 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I love every thing about Jamerson, just read the book on him by Dr Licks, great insight into a great man but sad was his ending 

It's amazing Gilly how one thing leads to another,this has all come from Tim posting the photos of Nabay and Dena Barnes on here.There is nothing I would like more than to meet up with you guys all together.Bring your photos and experiences with you,I will simply turn up and listen. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!