Soul music is powerful

Seano

Just been re-watching ‘Standing in the Shadows of Motown.’ Good quote from Ben Harper at about 44 minutes into the film saying:

“Soul music is powerful. Soul music makes you believe. Soul music gives you hope in the way that you feel. In the way that you want to feel.”

Like that.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the fact the lyrics to this song remain relevant today after so many decades says everything, been playing the original LP this evening

Social source share

I've not been one to pay too much attention to the lyrics in past years, more the overall feel, but watch out for the difference if you click on Google for the lyrics to Jimmy Ruffin's 'What becomes of the broken hearted' as opposed to hearing him singing it via this YouTube' link:

Here's Google's top link for the lyric:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=what+becomes+of+the+broken+hearted+lyrics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Google gives us "As I walk this land with broken dreams" whereas Jimmy sings "As I walk this land of broken dreams."

What a difference a word makes, 24 little hours.

Social source share

Just got to the later moments of the film where the full band of the Funk Brothers get ready to play with the photo images of the ones who've already gone proudly posted on stands inbetween them all while the strains of "Ain't no mountain high enough build up." 

Emotional just as a soul fan - who knows what it must be like for their relatives and friends?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

And then the ending. I'd forgotten the sequence of along titles dropping down at the end.

I think I was overwhelmed by seeing it at a modest cinema not long after it came out when my cousin was living in New York's East Village and absolutely loving the reaction of the audience, just whooping and clapping as the credits came up!

Might be fun to track back over the song titles and see what comes across as a surprise....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, seano said:

Just got to the later moments of the film where the full band of the Funk Brothers get ready to play with the photo images of the ones who've already gone proudly posted on stands inbetween them all while the strains of "Ain't no mountain high enough build up." 

Emotional just as a soul fan - who knows what it must be like for their relatives and friends?

Hairs go up on the back of my neck everytime I hear that tune on the accompanying soundtrack album.

By the way the Joan Osborne vocal on Broken Hearted from same album is immense and, in my opinion, betters the original.

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I recently watched the Sam Cooke documentary, excellent stuff ! Ive got say though of all the soul records I know etc , one that I’ve thought about that is one of thee most soulful imo has always been staring right in our faces is ‘Cupid’ by Sam , the power he delivers on the word ‘ cry’ is incredible, yet so not in your face ! I know it will be considered mainstream by many but still........ 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I recently watched the Sam Cooke documentary, excellent stuff ! Ive got say though of all the soul records I know etc , one that I’ve thought about that is one of thee most soulful imo has always been staring right in our faces is ‘Cupid’ by Sam , the power he delivers on the word ‘ cry’ is incredible, yet so not in your face ! I know it will be considered mainstream by many but still........ 

Another one that always get the hairs on my neck moving is Sam's original (and best) version of A Change Is Gonna Come.....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Mainstream or not it's SOUL Music of the highest quality. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!