Barney Duke Bonnie Browner

Wheelsville1

5 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I've only just found out after all these years that the Bonnie label which had the Magnetics Lady in Green was one of Duke Browners Nick names,hence Harry Baulk his good friend and label owner,naming it after him.Does any one have anything to add to this? Chris. 

When Harry met Barney it was a match made in heaven – that’s Hary Balk and Barney “Duke” Browner. The Duke had worked with Harry since the early sixties on other labels inlcuding American Arts where he wrote “Walk On InTo My Heart” for Bobbie Smith. But he really hit his stride at Impact alongside Harry and John Rhys. Eventually the three would make the move to Motown but not before the Duke struck paydirt with his Northern Soul anthem “Crying Over You”

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I went to Duke Barny Browners house in 1988 spent a couple of hours with him and got a few records too. Breaking news at the time he told me it was the Volumes in between contracts, some didn't believe me until proof was given when they sang at the Prestatyn Week-ender, then suddenly a few people became experts on the subject, that pissed me off. You can read this story and other stories when my book comes out in Feb 2019

Ooh can't wait....that will be in my collection.....you won't sign it though and make it worth less, will you :)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I went to Duke Barny Browners house in 1988 spent a couple of hours with him and got a few records too. Breaking news at the time he told me it was the Volumes in between contracts, some didn't believe me until proof was given when they sang at the Prestatyn Week-ender, then suddenly a few people became experts on the subject, that pissed me off. You can read this story and other stories when my book comes out in Feb 2019

Gilly. Trust you are well mate:hatsoff2:Have you got the release date yet for your book  ? 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I told him all of this but even with an offer to come and sing was of little interest to him, he was really fucked off with the music business, anyway that Andy Rix and that Tim Ashebende met enough of their own stars but i'm not jealous I met my fair share. Those two mentioned btw are real hero's within themselves, let me tell you. so much respect.

As far as I'm concerned Gilly you guys were at the forefront years ago. Although I've met several artists when they have come to the UK,I envy You ,Tim,Andy etc meeting them on there own Turf so to speak.When ever we've had a chat about this I've always found it intriguing.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I've only just found out after all these years that the Bonnie label which had the Magnetics Lady in Green was one of Duke Browners Nick names,hence Harry Baulk his good friend and label owner,naming it after him.Does any one have anything to add to this? Chris. 

I have a U.S copyright certificate in Barney,s name registering Lady in Green as his work. Not sure of it,s authenticity as I bought it in a batch of memorabilia. Anybody else seen/got one or similar ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

If it isn't for you and the likes of you mate we wouldn't have these fake experts.  Those who matter know who does what and who tries to steal the credit.  

BTW I remember you telling me at the time that The Magnetics were the Volumes.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

50 minutes ago, colouredman said:

Gilly, you did it; you were there and interested enough to ask questions and probe deeper; you deserved it. To say you sat in the same room as Duke Browner and talked to him, is worth more than any rare record. I’ll definitely be buying the book and I know I’ll be proud of you when I read it. Maximum respect to you brother. 

From you with your track history that's something, I'm about "Crying over You" thank-you Tim 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, john-o said:

I have a U.S copyright certificate in Barney,s name registering Lady in Green as his work. Not sure of it,s authenticity as I bought it in a batch of memorabilia. Anybody else seen/got one or similar ?

can you post it up or let me use it in the book, and credit you of course 

Social source share

1 hour ago, KevH said:

Gilly, I didn't believe the Volumes / Lady in Green story till I heard them singing it. Had to hear it for myself lol.

Put me down for a pre-order of the  book please.

If you listen to Same old feeling and Lady in Green,it's defiantly the same lead vocalist.However the lead changed on there Inferno recordings. 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

If you listen to Same old feeling and Lady in Green,it's defiantly the same lead vocalist.However the lead changed on there Inferno recordings. 

Yes it was Gerald Mathis on those two songs and Lady in Green was between Twirl and Impact contracts

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Yes it was Gerald Mathis on those two songs and Lady in Green was between Twirl and Impact contracts

That's answers a question I was going to ask you Gilly.I thought the Bonnie release was prior to the Impact release.I can understand you being a bit miffed after they came to prestatyn and people jumping on the bandwagon.I had the same happen to me,when a good few years ago I came on here after coming to the conclusion that the Smith Brothers and the Magnificents on Mam were the same group.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi gilly also remember you telling me the magnetics  story then seeing them perform it live at Prestatyn brought the hairs on my neck up spine tingling moment for us all I even got them to autograph my black and white  photo which has pride of place in the record room .then speaking with them on  Prestatyn see front on the Sunday morning .I'll definitely have a copy of your book  mate

Regards Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, john-o said:

There's that and song sheets for LIG, crying over you & Dena Barnes. I think Andy Rix & Ted Massey have (photo) copies

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, john-o said:

It,s  exactly the same as mine in every way apart from the colour of the paper. Mine is beige ( sepia ? ). I,m referring to Page 3 which is all I,ve got I think. Bugger !!!

They are scans of photocopies of the originals. I seem to remember they were well 'yellowed' from age.  Most probably at least two copies as they are legal contracts, one copy for each party?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, simon t said:

They are scans of photocopies of the originals. I seem to remember they were well 'yellowed' from age.  Most probably at least two copies as they are legal contracts, one copy for each party?

Thanks, It certainly looks the same colour as old newspaper would.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

That's answers a question I was going to ask you Gilly.I thought the Bonnie release was prior to the Impact release.I can understand you being a bit miffed after they came to prestatyn and people jumping on the bandwagon.I had the same happen to me,when a good few years ago I came on here after coming to the conclusion that the Smith Brothers and the Magnificents on Mam were the same group.

Yes mate after the Twirl 45 and before the first Impact release, both sang by Gerald Mathis taking the lead and fits nicely in with those BMI registration docs that have been put up today.  Wait till I drop the bombshell on the Lollipops Group. 

Social source share

As I recall the BMI registration & lyric sheets were obtained by Pete Lowrie ... many will recall he had a lot of good hits in Detroit which included a lot of Motown items .. acetates, and so on, from the clear out of the Woodward Building

I'm 99% sure I got photocopies of the documents from him .. unless Ted Massey wants to correct me on that .. it was a long time ago !

Gilly .. you don't need me to tell you how much respect we have for the things you've done .. and those of us who know do know

I recall making a comment in another thread regarding Tim's 'Tracks To Your Mind' publication and how high he set the benchmark for the rest of us .. the same applies to you

I have no doubt your book will be beyond amazing

Best

Andy

• Up vote 3
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

As I recall the BMI registration & lyric sheets were obtained by Pete Lowrie ... many will recall he had a lot of good hits in Detroit which included a lot of Motown items .. acetates, and so on, from the clear out of the Woodward Building

I'm 99% sure I got photocopies of the documents from him .. unless Ted Massey wants to correct me on that .. it was a long time ago !

Gilly .. you don't need me to tell you how much respect we have for the things you've done .. and those of us who know do know

I recall making a comment in another thread regarding Tim's 'Tracks To Your Mind' publication and how high he set the benchmark for the rest of us .. the same applies to you

Best

Andy

Hi Andy,your right about Pete Lowrie having some good hits in detroit.I got an absolute prestine unplayed w/d of both Duke Browner and Jock Mitchell off him and just missed out on a Nabay.When I asked him how he managed to find them in that condition he said they were file copies,so I guess they came from the same source as the sheet music. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

Best

Andy

Andy, thank-you, I hold you, Tim, Roger Banks and Andy Dyson up there and way above me, your all more studious than myself but I can spell cat.

Social source share

On 06/11/2018 at 18:04, Gilly said:

I told him all of this but even with an offer to come and sing was of little interest to him, he was really fucked off with the music business, anyway that Andy Rix and that Tim Ashebende met enough of their own stars but i'm not jealous I met my fair share. Those two mentioned btw are real hero's within themselves, let me tell you. so much respect.

Didn't Duke convert to Islam and that resulted in a distance from music, due to faith....was I dreaming or did I read that somewhere in my long last past

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!