The Monzas

Soul-slider

post-4912-1166026709_thumb.jpgpost-4912-1166026670_thumb.jpg[attachme

t=19034:monzas_3_pic.jpg]post-4912-1166026638_thumb.jpgpost-4912-1166026614_thumb.jpg

Document_monzas_Al.rtf

Document_monzas_Al.rtf

Had a great e-mail from Al Wilkes, lead singer of the Monzas who recorded 3 (to my knowledge) great Northern tunes between 1967/70 ...these being 'You Know You Turn Me On' (Moon), 'Stubborn Kind Of Fellow' (Moon) & 'Try To Understand' (A La Carte, same label as the Martells Northern rarity).

The Al Wilkes group are from Tenessee, not to be confused with the 'Carolina' Monzas who recorded for Pacific (Hey I Know You).

Does anyone have a sound sample of 'Stubborn Kind Of Fellow' on Moon? It's the only one I aint heard of theirs.

Anyway, here's the e-mails and a few pics..

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi

I had contact with Al a year or so ago when I got 'You Know You Turn Me On' and 'Try To Understand' off him. Hes got one on orange Moon too thats apparently very good....not sure what it is though. A very nice bloke indeed, and no he hasn't got a Monzas although I think he knew them....he was kind enough to send me press clippings of his band days, the one on the top left.

JM

ps I think he sells vintage tennis rackets too.

pps Is the 'Hey Baby' Beach Days book out yet?? He'll be in that too.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Hi

I had contact with Al a year or so ago when I got 'You Know You Turn Me On' and 'Try To Understand' off him. Hes got one on orange Moon too thats apparently very good....not sure what it is though. A very nice bloke indeed, and no he hasn't got a Monzas although I think he knew them....he was kind enough to send me press clippings of his band days, the one on the top left.

JM

ps I think he sells vintage tennis rackets too.

pps Is the 'Hey Baby' Beach Days book out yet?? He'll be in that too.

Hi Mulf,

Yes he knew the other Monzas, I have their 'Hey I Know You' but that's it of theirs, don't know the other 2 on Pacific. I'm gonna try for the Moon one on orange colour and I also want a copy of 'You Know You Turn Me On' which I heard off a CD by Baz and it's great.

The book is out but I aint seen it available over here yet (might look on Amazon in a mo), problem with ordering it from the States is it's bloody heavy! postage will be crippling I bet.

Johnny

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Hi Mulf,

Yes he knew the other Monzas, I have their 'Hey I Know You' but that's it of theirs, don't know the other 2 on Pacific. I'm gonna try for the Moon one on orange colour and I also want a copy of 'You Know You Turn Me On' which I heard off a CD by Baz and it's great.

The book is out but I aint seen it available over here yet (might look on Amazon in a mo), problem with ordering it from the States is it's bloody heavy! postage will be crippling I bet.

Johnny

Book available, I enquired about P&P to UK from publisher but decided not to buy in the end as the reply on the P&P made it too expensive, if anyone knows of a cheap way to get hold of the book let me know. :rolleyes:
Social source share

Now thats very interesting/strange about the the Monzas on Moon being from Tenessee because the "You know you turn me on" I originally discovered this record in the Carolinas about 7 years ago. Infact if you check the credits, the track was recorded at Arthur Smiths studios ( same place as the Nomads on Mogroove and Soul Set on Bi-Me). Can't help thinking there must be some link between the 2 groups??

I have the blue Moon 45, but would love to hear and/or have the details of the other release on the orange label.

I'll ask Al if he knew the Nomads/ Soul Set and get back to you ok.

I'm working on getting an orange moon.

What's the blue one 'Stubborn Kind of Fellow' like, I understand the flip is a worthy tune too?? Any good?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!