Selling records with poor overall grading on condition!!

I am often interested in records that are put up for sale, but can't buy them because they are not individually graded.

I often I see  sales lists with a vague "all records are Vg+ or better".

I have seen records priced in the hundreds of pounds, with this poor grading.   I don't know how sellers expect people to spend that kind of money, without really knowing what they are going to get! 

It would be silly to buy a car from a garage, that said about condition  "all cars are vg or better".

I would like to see records, over a certain price, individually graded on condition!

Anybody else bothered about this?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

How bothered I am depends on the price of the record. There seems to be a lightbulb shortage north of Watford anyway. If it ain’t m- and it’s over 100 quid I don’t really want it.....unless it’s dirt cheap of course.

generally I don’t buy off people I don’t know  it’s just easier 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’ve been caught out a few times, I got done once by a dealer who used to sell a lot of records on this forum. This was before the forum feedback system. The beauty of the feedback system is that a repeatedly dodgy seller won’t get away with it for long. 

These days, I try to resist buying without hearing a sound file first. My priority is how good a 45 sounds, rather than how it looks. After all, I buy them to listen to them.

I’d rather pay a little bit over the odds from a dealer I can trust, rather than take a chance on a record that has only been ‘visually graded’ by a seller I don’t know. I can’t claim to have bought from every well known record dealer out there, I’m sure there are plenty, but I can certainly vouch for Pete Smith and Darren Brown.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The thing is with chanchers looking to buy mint records for bugger all PhilT (I do agree with you) but you don't have to deal with them. As a buyer to then return record & refund to someone you  don't trust is a balls ache. 

Also for me a soundfile isn't important as I don't expect to be buying a record that doesn't play through. 

Social source share

I don't sell much at all on here anymore but, when I sell I put a description of the label, and grade the record itself, adding in audio condition. Simple. If folks can't be bothered to grade properly give them a wide berth. What's the point in trying to pull the wool on people for a few quid.?

Social source share

1 hour ago, John Siret said:

The thing is with chanchers looking to buy mint records for bugger all PhilT (I do agree with you) but you don't have to deal with them. As a buyer to then return record & refund to someone you  don't trust is a balls ache. 

Also for me a soundfile isn't important as I don't expect to be buying a record that doesn't play through. 

I hear you. The point I was trying to make was that it can be a ball ache selling records these days too. 

The whole 'grading' thing is inherently subjective of course so you're always going to find variations; they shouldn't be miles apart though should they - hence the emergence of the SS system. All that's required really is a bit of integrity and half an idea. Takes seconds to send someone a couple of pics or whatever but I'm always very clear when I'm selling stuff that anyone can send a 45 back if they're not happy, at my expense.

It's tough to legislate for idiots though, buyers or sellers. Personally, I just don't deal with them again, respond to 'wants' posts or whatever. Life's too short.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was once offered a Al Williams £1000 cheaper than the going rate because of the condition.  Turned it down, it looked like it had been a frisbee on the M6 for 6 months but surprisingly played very good,  as much as I wanted to,  I just couldn't do it. 

Steve 

That couldn't have been my old copy then, Steve.. As mine was warped, chipped, and had 3 bits of old records glued to the back to hold it all together !! Played perfectly though.. Honest !! 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good man your the 1st person that's ever listened to me when I've played them a record.  🤣

Steve 

Yes m8 bought 2 👍 first one described as n/m was and second for a friend who ad a listen and loved it said n/m and the above came😖 I gave my m8 the first n/m one as it was only a fiver 👍 great shout steve cheers.atb m8 baz

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/11/2018 at 15:11, baz1 said:

Had a cheapie arrive tother day 😖 n/m it said😂😂😂 bubbled label and edge chip with some noticeable scratches😖good job it was only a fiver or it would av been goin back. Baz

IMG_20181104_082342.jpg

IMG_20181104_082358.jpg

😡 wow, That’s someone taking the p...s

Social source share

1 hour ago, pjf said:

I’m afraid you’ll miss out on a lot of great Vinyl if that’s the case

Do tell me what these titles are you think I am missing out on or decent copies don't come to market ? 

I guess you are missing the point. A deal has been agreed on M- graded record I am sent a vg graded record is that clear now. 

Edited by John Siret
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!