Who was first to play

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

A general question thrown to the soulful throng...

Do you think it is possible to pinpoint the first dj in the UK (and possibly the year and venue) who played a particular icon 45 - who, when and where - your first recollection of hearing a particular 45....here's a couple for starters to get the ball rolling:

1. Gene Toones - What More Do you Want
  2. Hyperions - Why you wanna treat me the way you do
  3. Brice Colefield - Ain't that right
  4. Flash McKinley - I'll rescue you
Just a thought that I had :shades: Any other suggested 45s would be good too....Jo Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Jo,

I seem to remember Pep saying that Brice Coefield "Ain't that right" on Omen was first played at The Catacombes in Wolverhampton probably around 1971 by Pep himself.

Regards

Alan

" ATR " certainly got its' first airing at The Cats , but is associated - as with many records of / at the time - as being a Torch sound .

Pep - if not responsible for that first play at The Cats , was instrumental by championing it by the many plays he gave it , in making it a big sound at the time .

Malc Burton

Social source share

A general question thrown to the soulful throng...

Do you think it is possible to pinpoint the first dj in the UK (and possibly the year and venue) who played a particular icon 45 - who, when and where - your first recollection of hearing a particular 45....here's a couple for starters to get the ball rolling:

1. Gene Toones - What More Do you Want
  2. Hyperions - Why you wanna treat me the way you do
  3. Brice Colefield - Ain't that right
  4. Flash McKinley - I'll rescue you
Just a thought that I had :shades: Any other suggested 45s would be good too....Jo

Probably a forgotten Mecca spin, but Pat Brady was responsible for Gene Toones popularity 79-81

Social source share

Hyperions ,by myself at Dave Goldswains birthday party at some football club,then probably Jon Buck cause he recorded it that night,played it at the roundabout in Gloucester and also early on at the Coventry all-nighter,lost faith in it for a couple of years then one friday in Mansfield played it to Rob Marriott who "borrowed" it! e dj´d the next night at the 100 club played it SIX times in two spots!! thats probably why it was so quickly "known"cheeky bastrd even shortened cover up title!

Incidently it came from John Manship(great taste) who hadn´t even recorded it as i got it straight out of a just in from the states box,an luckily none of the usual hounsds were there.

Flash McKinley-probably Butch? had this on a sales tape with stuff like Ed Townsend(Kurt Harris) Sandra King and many more,in fact still have the tape somewhere.

Pep used to dj for us in Gloucester and always played Brice Coefield (72) but i thought it was a Mecca sound? got one straight away 3 quid Brian 45 Phillips

Steve

Hyperions, you're right the first copy you did get from me..surprisingly probably 4 different "DJs" played it and left it behind.. for you.. So it's you who have taste not me.

Remember shortly after it became big the usual "we know someone with 300 copies" story was circulated.. Still today, a tough 45 to find

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hyperions ,by myself at Dave Goldswains birthday party at some football club,then probably Jon Buck cause he recorded it that night,played it at the roundabout in Gloucester and also early on at the Coventry all-nighter,lost faith in it for a couple of years then one friday in Mansfield played it to Rob Marriott who "borrowed" it! e dj´d the next night at the 100 club played it SIX times in two spots!! thats probably why it was so quickly "known"cheeky bastrd even shortened cover up title!

Incidently it came from John Manship(great taste) who hadn´t even recorded it as i got it straight out of a just in from the states box,an luckily none of the usual hounsds were there.

Flash McKinley-probably Butch? had this on a sales tape with stuff like Ed Townsend(Kurt Harris) Sandra King and many more,in fact still have the tape somewhere.

Pep used to dj for us in Gloucester and always played Brice Coefield (72) but i thought it was a Mecca sound? got one straight away 3 quid Brian 45 Phillips

Steve

Steve, may I shake you by the hand for having great taste and for being the first to spin one of my favourites :shades: I only got to hear the Hyperions in the early 00's - I think I heard it at the 'first' Capitol Soul Club at the sauna - so that was the end of the 9Ts. What was the year that you spun it at the footie club?

It's really interesting to see the date that some of these 45s were first played. Because I was away from the scene for a substantial amount of time, I was oblivious to what was going on at venues during the 8Ts. I lost the 'soul plot'....and now I'm catching up :lol: Thanks again, Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hyperions, you're right the first copy you did get from me..surprisingly probably 4 different "DJs" played it and left it behind.. for you.. So it's you who have taste not me.

Remember shortly after it became big the usual "we know someone with 300 copies" story was circulated.. Still today, a tough 45 to find

John, you're not joking...it is a tough tune to find, especially when I want a copy :P It just occurred to me that you must be in the best position in the Universe to know when certain 45s first surfaced and who & when first bought things from you...blimey, that thought was almost rocket science for me at this time in the morning :lol::yes:

Keep the suggestions coming :shades: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Jo,

I seem to remember Pep saying that Brice Coefield "Ain't that right" on Omen was first played at The Catacombes in Wolverhampton probably around 1971 by Pep himself.

Regards

Alan

Alan/ Malc...I didn't realise it was spun that early on...respec' to Pep. Jo

Social source share

Steve - what was it first covered up as?

Benji Schlamp very kindly sold me his copy a few months ago for an undisclosed sum (!) - what's best is that it's the "Why You Wanna Treat Me Like You Do" misprint. Can't be many of those around!

A million thanks Benji - another long awaited want now in a good home!

Social source share

Steve - what was it first covered up as?

Benji Schlamp very kindly sold me his copy a few months ago for an undisclosed sum (!) - what's best is that it's the "Why You Wanna Treat Me Like You Do" misprint. Can't be many of those around!

A million thanks Benji - another long awaited want now in a good home!

"Why You Wanna Treat Me Like You Do" scan would be nice..I love quirks like this. Is it the same release number 669 ?

Social source share

"Why You Wanna Treat Me Like You Do" scan would be nice..I love quirks like this. Is it the same release number 669 ?

john,

click here, scans of both labels at bottom of page

gene,

glad you're still happy with it. i sort of got bored with it, had it for quite a few years and i think i played it only a couple of times...

Edited by benji
Social source share

ATR was knocking about Burnley in 71 - 72. Don't where it was first played though. For some reason, probably the Record Exchange, it was a reasonably common record in Burnley at that time

Gene Toones was definitely spun at Wigan 75 - 76, cos that where I first heard it.

Sorry, but I can't remember who played it

Social source share

ATR was knocking about Burnley in 71 - 72. Don't where it was first played though. For some reason, probably the Record Exchange, it was a reasonably common record in Burnley at that time

Gene Toones was definitely spun at Wigan 75 - 76, cos that where I first heard it.

Sorry, but I can't remember who played it

Almost certain it was Richard Searling who played Gene Toones , at Station road .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

john,

click here, scans of both labels at bottom of page

gene,

glad you're still happy with it. i sort of got bored with it, had it for quite a few years and i think i played it only a couple of times...

well i learn something every day, i've never noticed the "title" difference before. then again maybe i've never had the "typo" copy.

thanks for that..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Steve

What year do you think Flash M was first played Steve? Mouse (wilton) one of the first to play it, dunno if the first.

Social source share

John,I can assure you that the rumour of "300" copies of Hyperions is probably fact. Im just not sure how many copies there were. A hell of a lot.

I guess you're probably aware of Cadet in Detroit. I was there in 1980 with Larry Ray[Pietowski] and he told me of the place but said he couldn't get in. I phoned them, spoke to someone there and we got in right away. We looked through a lot but not all and Hyperions was there cos I played it on a portable player and thought not bad, I'll take some if cheap.

The main items were lots of copies of Gary Haines and Deans on Panik. I'd pulled those. No idea how many exactly but I was taking them off the shelves in big handfuls. I was just congragulating myself on a nice little hit when the owner arrived, went ape-shit and then threw us both out!!

As far as I know back in the 90's some guy in Detroit was selling copies of the Hyperions and I think it may have been that guy.

ROD

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Almost certain it was Richard Searling who played Gene Toones , at Station road .Best ,Eddie

Wow, Eddie, this is earlier than I imagined...I must've been in the Ladies when Richard played this :rolleyes: I'd have spontaneously combusted all over the dancefloor if I'd have heard it then yes.gif So, we've got 75-76, Wigan, Richard Searling for the Gene Toones, '71 or earlier, Pep, Wheel or Catacombs for Brice Colefield but we're still waiting on a date for the Hyperions from Steve @ the football club...it's kind of like soul Cluedo :thumbsup: ....Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

at a top venue ....Nick Marshall.....Isonics on Kammy at TOTW Stafford.....

You beauty....Isonics...there's a title to conjure with :rolleyes: That was one that I was going to post...but I musn't be greedy biggrin.gif Jo

Social source share

May I ask for some more, please? It's just to have something to say through the mic when I play these... :rolleyes:

Imaginations "Strange Neighbourhood" on Fraternity

Herb Ward "Strange Change" on Argo

Silky Hargraves "Keep Loving Me (Like You Do)" on Dearborn

Tony Middleton "Paris Blues" on Mala

Thanks in advance...

Roccia

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Gene Toones,was first played by everybodys mate, Ian Lavine :rolleyes:

Kev.

At T'Mecca?? Good man thumbsup.gif so Searling and Levine were playing this round about the same time in the mid 7Ts....how about:

Martha Starr - Sweet Temptation - Charay

Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

May I ask for some more, please? It's just to have something to say through the mic when I play these... :rolleyes:

Imaginations "Strange Neighbourhood" on Fraternity

Herb Ward "Strange Change" on Argo

Silky Hargraves "Keep Loving Me (Like You Do)" on Dearborn

Tony Middleton "Paris Blues" on Mala

Thanks in advance...

Roccia

imaginations was richard searling covered as ray pollard wigan 78 -79

herb ward was pat brady wigan 78 -79

tony middleton i think was soul sam around 77 - 78

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

pat brady was first to play gene toones if i remember right was covered as frank dell wigan 78 -79

Ahhh....the plot thickens.... :rolleyes: Searling, Levine and Pat....and a c/u - this is a case for the Soul Investigators biggrin.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

imaginations was richard searling covered as ray pollard wigan 78 -79

tony middleton i think was soul sam around 77 - 78

I remember Searling playing Tony Middleton at Wigan - 76-77 - maybe more '77. I nearly collapsed when I heard it for the first time......bloody marvellous :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

john

didn't chris find this for you he was working for you. thats his version .

rupert

Social source share

John,I can assure you that the rumour of "300" copies of Hyperions is probably fact. Im just not sure how many copies there were. A hell of a lot.

As far as I know back in the 90's some guy in Detroit was selling copies of the Hyperions and I think it may have been that guy.

ROD

===========================================================================

The guy who had them in Detroit Rod was Harry Levin when Dave Skeen and Kev Barrett went to see him

in the early 90,s they got quite a few copies of him i had quite a few myself originally i was selling them at £100 each then i sold the last few for £125 over the past several years i have sold a few at £500 which i think is the right going price at the present time.. I remember few years ago at the Dome in London

i had lent a copy to Dave Holt who was dj.in when it came on Mick H said that he wanted a copy i asked him if he had the cash on him when he said yes as soon as the 45 finished i took the Hyperions off the deck while it was still spinning much to Daves amazment and passed it over to Mick , just goes to show if you,ve got the dosh you can buy owt :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Remember this getting lots of plays at Cleethorpes dayers 78-79, covered up as

"Love made me change" / Sam Williams

and for two bonus points, what track was originally covered as

"Find a way" / Epitome of Sound ?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just to confirm the above, here are Ian Clarks' top tips from Yate, in March '79, with selected quotes - I've just taken out some of the in-jokes and name-checks - this is taken from Soul Symbol issue 7.....

Rita and the Tiaras - Gone with the wind is my love (Dore 783)

Originally via Soul Bowl, sold to Ginger and Richard, Pat Brady expressed interest, and it was originally covered as the Vel-vets. Now a deserved monster, a sheer class soul record. Bells and chimes, a brilliant haunting introduction that builds up into what will rate in the Tamla Lewis category. This is brilliant and one for 1979.

Frank Dell - He broke your game wide open (Valise 6900)

Cheers to Dave Greet for its exposure at Yate. Massive, like my feet. All over - nothing more to be said except listen to this, the words, the tune, the soul. Credit to Richard and John from you know where!

Wilbur Walton Jr. - Twenty four hours of loneliness (123/1703)

Twangy guitars and throbbing bass, heart rending lyrics as Wilbur belts out "Twenty four hours of loneliness". Slightly modern in its beat, it's on the Capitol 123 label, once again this reeks of soul. A very short record, but one that has it all. Recently seen on John Manships list.

Precisions - Such Misery (Drew 1001)

Well, it can't be rare, but it's well known in the Notts area. The same backing track as Stemmons Express, it guarantees a full floor. Cracking lyrics bring tears to my eyes and sweat to my forehead, let alone wobbles to my knees. "Such misery" - what a hook line!

Capitols - I can't deny I love you (Omen 5)

Familiar name, and familiar label responsible for the Secrets and Brice Coefield classics. This is known, I'm sure - a side that takes time to swing along to. Roll of drums, girls going "ooh aah", then a simple beat and into the vocal. Dig it out if you see it - the B side is good too! Especially for Gilly and his crazy crew.

Sam Williams - I got a strange feeling (Cover up 007)

The other Sam had this off John Manship, and Uncle Ady (Croasdell) picked it up. A very old label, a well known singer soul wise, it spins along like the real Sam Williams, with a finger snapping start, heart rending lyrics - oh blimey, what a build-up! Great girlies in the background, swirling strings, if you can't dance to this then go and join Hot Gossip for a week!

Otis Smith - C'mon and dance now (Recreation 7832 - honest! Hee-hee!)

Starts off with a morse code signal, instant appeal, belts into a gruff voice. Familiar to the Yate crowd and gaining spins on its excellent breaks and inviting lyrics. A cover-up of the first order, and with the David Huff and Heartbeat 45's, Yate exclusives. If you want to hear them, get on down, worth 1000 miles to hear, no sweat!

Joe Hicks - I still care (AGC)

An obscure item from what sounds like a "honky" singer, but it's from Detroit way, so I'm told. Discovered at 52 Langham Street, it's a 100 mph stomper, a cross between Saxie Russell, Joe Hicks, Animal from the Muppet show and the Bonzo Dog doo-dah band, sling in Cobblestone too! If you can dance to this you will never stop - this would honestly rip Wigan apart, I kid you not!

Social source share

john

didn't chris find this for you he was working for you. thats his version .

rupert

Ref: HYPERIONS.

No Chris didn't find it, I found it in L.A. just a single copy. Chris never went to L.A....as I recall.

Tell you what he did find though, 15 copies of Cloudburst - I'm Loving You - Stormy Monday in a garage in Ohio. Never had a copy for sale since..

I remember selling the first copy to Soul Sam he was so pleased; then a girl who worked for me came into the office after the deal was done. Looked at Sam and said "I love that record, perhaps John will let me have a copy as he's got loads of them!"

Sam, almost gave me it back..he didn't and the rest is history..

I know the guy had some Hyperions & Cecil Washington's apparently but 300..seems a little off the mark, as today both are still difficult to aquire.. but what do I know.. I had over 300 Gerri Hall's on Hot Line and that's not easy to find...amazing how the depth of this scene just swallow's up records and creates rarity by the sheer ratio of collectors to copies known.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Wow does that mean i have REALLY good taste John?...because i also had a copy of Cloudburst of you! same deal as the James Wayne, Dave Thorley relieved me of Cloudburst and Spenna the James Wayne.

For Jo ,Hyperions was first played the year Arsenal won the league at Anfield Road,which was actually the night of "Goldies" party,Sure Jon Buck remembers the correct date, i think i played it out first at the Roundaout in Gloucester first though months earlier.

Steve

Steve

So that's where I got if from!!!!!!!!!

Hope you are well, Steve. thought I might see you at Nurnberg last week

Dave

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

For Jo ,Hyperions was first played the year Arsenal won the league at Anfield Road,

Um, Steve....you give me far more credit than I deserve.... :wicked: I haven't got the foggiest when Arsenal won anything LOL :wicked: But I'm enjoying this thread thumbsup.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Rita and the Tiaras - Gone with the wind is my love (Dore 783)

Originally via Soul Bowl, sold to Ginger and Richard, Pat Brady expressed interest, and it was originally covered as the Vel-vets. Now a deserved monster, a sheer class soul record. Bells and chimes, a brilliant haunting introduction that builds up into what will rate in the Tamla Lewis category. This is brilliant and one for 1979.

Jerry, you read my mind thumbsup.gif ....this was another title I was going to add to the list...I have a vague memory of this being played at the end of the 7Ts but I can't remember where....probably Clarkie :wicked: The whole article makes for very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing. Jo

Social source share

Ref: HYPERIONS.

No Chris didn't find it, I found it in L.A. just a single copy. Chris never went to L.A....as I recall.

Tell you what he did find though, 15 copies of Cloudburst - I'm Loving You - Stormy Monday in a garage in Ohio. Never had a copy for sale since..

I remember selling the first copy to Soul Sam he was so pleased; then a girl who worked for me came into the office after the deal was done. Looked at Sam and said "I love that record, perhaps John will let me have a copy as he's got loads of them!"

Sam, almost gave me it back..he didn't and the rest is history..

I know the guy had some Hyperions & Cecil Washington's apparently but 300..seems a little off the mark, as today both are still difficult to aquire.. but what do I know.. I had over 300 Gerri Hall's on Hot Line and that's not easy to find...amazing how the depth of this scene just swallow's up records and creates rarity by the sheer ratio of collectors to copies known.

he's a fibber then john he reckoned he found it in chicago. i'll tell him next time i see him.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

1990post-225-1166212634_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that, Chalky thumbsup.gif So, Martha Starr first twinkled for Butch (sorry :rolleyes: ) in 1990. So in relation to the other tracks, it's quite a newcomer on the scene. Keep 'em coming. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Jo,

Regards

Alan

I don't think Pep was Deejaying at the Cats until 1972, however I know that Brice Coefield was certainly played there - also at the short-lived '2001 Club' allnighters in Castle Street, Wolverhampton. (This was opened as an "extension" to the Catacombs Saturday night events, starting when the Cats closed for the evening and using the current regular DJs - Pep, Blue Max, Graham Warr and Basil, who would trek down the road from Temple Street lugging their record boxes!) I have a tape of Brice Coefield being played there in October 1973, though it may have been played much earlier.

Graham Warr started off Herb Ward - "Honest To Goodness" I believe. In fact many, many big sides started off at the Cats that other clubs (naming no names!) may have been given the credit for, simply because they reached a wider audience and had a better publicity machine at their disposal! I'm thinking of "Skiing In The Snow", Johnny Sayles, Little Joe Roman, Bobby Treetop, The Chalfontes, "Panic", possibly Duke Browner(?)

Dave K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!