Kenni Lewis

Jazz

The original acetate was found by John Poole in Max Kids basement with no name or song title on it. It was covered up as Kenni Lewis due to the Max kid / Kenni Lewis Shrine connection. Andy Rix and Rob Thomas made it a top unavailable sound about 16 years ago, the title and artist were guess work.

Rob Thomas eventually let it go to Lou Stanley and Lou sold it on to Kitch (Nottm soul collector - DJ - record dealer - manfromsoul.co.uk ) To my knowledge Kitch still owns the 1st copy to this day.

A couple of years ago a second acetate turned up this one was recognised by one of the guys in the bands who said it was sung by Leroy Taylor. The Shrine - connection pops up again so looks very creditable. I have bought 3 copies of the new release on Federal Green Records for myself and two close friends. The playback is 100% perfect. Well done Federal Green.

There was a white labelled bootleg about which came from a dodgy recording of one of Rob Thomas's DJ sets - Sound quality was very poor. I don't know of any Pete Smith connection but pay homage to John, Andy and Rob for discovering a record that has stayed in my top 5 for longer than I care to remember.

Personally I think Federal Green Records got the title wrong (The Marrying Kind) and think it was meant to be called      Not The Marrying Kind 

Mick 

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

As Mick wrote above, it's Leroy Taylor, the same guy that had releases on Brunswick and Shrine.

Here's a link to the official 7" release that came out a couple of weeks ago.

https://federalgreenrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/leroy-taylor-the-marrying-kind-baby-i-love-you

It has sold out already, but I'm sure copies will pop up on ebay/Discogs soon.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mick Boyle said:

The original acetate was found by John Poole in Max Kids basement with no name or song title on it. It was covered up as Kenni Lewis due to the Max kid / Kenni Lewis Shrine connection. Andy Rix and Rob Thomas made it a top unavailable sound about 16 years ago, the title and artist were guess work.

Rob Thomas eventually let it go to Lou Stanley and Lou sold it on to Kitch (Nottm soul collector - DJ - record dealer - manfromsoul.co.uk ) To my knowledge Kitch still owns the 1st copy to this day.

A couple of years ago a second acetate turned up this one was recognised by one of the guys in the bands who said it was sung by Leroy Taylor. The Shrine - connection pops up again so looks very creditable. I have bought 3 copies of the new release on Federal Green Records for myself and two close friends. The playback is 100% perfect. Well done Federal Green.

There was a white labelled bootleg about which came from a dodgy recording of one of Rob Thomas's DJ sets - Sound quality was very poor. I don't know of any Pete Smith connection but pay homage to John, Andy and Rob for discovering a record that has stayed in my top 5 for longer than I care to remember.

Personally I think they got the title wrong and think it was meant to be called      Not The Marrying Kind 

Mick 

Story behind the first boot (x amount of years ago) as far as I can recall went something like this...

Richard Searling was so impressed with the track that he got an audio copy from AR & RT and started playing it out, once while playing it on a radio show he forgot to 'talk over' it (to protect the track) and someone recorded it and a bootleg showed up very soon after...

or something like that

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, mike said:

Story behind the first boot (x amount of years ago) as far as I can recall went something like this...

Richard Searling was so impressed with the track that he got an audio copy from AR & RT and started playing it out, once while playing it on a radio show he forgot to 'talk over' it (to protect the track) and someone recorded it and a bootleg showed up very soon after...

or something like that

That would make sense. RT told me his set had been recorded but Richard on the radio sounds more feasible.   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Vaguely remember the record getting played by a certain DJ on a local radio stations soul show and half way through the record you could plainly here Richards voice which is common place to do on such rare records to stop the bootleggers.  The said DJ had simply recorded Richards show and played the track on live radio. Without editing.  He was asked to leave and not return 

Steve 

Social source share

14 hours ago, mike said:

or something like that

Maybe this broadcast Mike? All Singing All Dancing All Night on BBC Radio 2 in about 1999. I recorded the show on a cassette at the time. When broadcast originally the track cross faded to Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks A Rose, which I think was then a recent tape vault find but it would have been easy for a bootlegger ( not me incidentally ) to add another fade in the same way I have done to upload this clip to YouTube. 

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

11 hours ago, autumnstoned said:

Maybe this broadcast Mike? All Singing All Dancing All Night on BBC Radio 2 in about 1999. I recorded the show on a cassette at the time. When broadcast originally the track cross faded to Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks A Rose, which I think was then a recent tape vault find but it would have been easy for a bootlegger ( not me incidentally ) to add another fade in the same way I have done to upload this clip to YouTube. 

all a bit vague, but I do remember that it wasn't jazz fm so yep could have been that show and think the years about right

loosely connected to your post  and round the same time, does  anyone remember how another known dj left a cd containing current various motown unreleased tracks  inc 'baby a go go , he who picks a rose' etc etc  in the cd player after an event and they all ended up being passed around on the internet almost the next day

Social source share

11 hours ago, autumnstoned said:

...who was the collector/DJ that Richard was referring to?...it sounds like the identy has been “cut out”...for some reason,I seem to think it was Shifty,tho probably wrong....

Social source share

4 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

...who was the collector/DJ that Richard was referring to?...it sounds like the identy has been “cut out”...for some reason,I seem to think it was Shifty,tho probably wrong....

I don’t think he identified the collector. I think he just said the acetate found its way into the hands of a UK collector who then gave him a carver or let him make his own carver. Maybe John Poole as he apparently discovered the acetate, as mentioned above.

Re the brief drop out of audio, I must have accidentally hit record and play on my cassette machine when I was transferring to MP3 in the 00’s. Nothing more than that. 

It’s a great track. I must have been impressed having bothered to make an MP3 from cassette and then preserved it on a CD.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!