Houston Outlaws

Guest D'Arcy

I have today taken delivery of " Huston Outlaws - Ain't no telling " on Westbound W1557. The matrix No on the run out groove is stamped W 1557 CANADIAN LTD, then what appears to be Mik also stamped, but in a handwriting font. The lable looks Ok white with black logo. My question is; I have never seen Canadian Ltd stamped on the run out groove, has anyone else encountered this before?

Cheers

D'Arcy

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have today taken delivery of " Huston Outlaws - Ain't no telling " on Westbound W1557. The matrix No on the run out groove is stamped W 1557 CANADIAN LTD, then what appears to be Mik also stamped, but in a handwriting font. The lable looks Ok white with black logo. My question is; I have never seen Canadian Ltd stamped on the run out groove, has anyone else encountered this before?

Cheers

D'Arcy

Don't think there's anything wrong with that m8.

You also need their two sweet soul records on Westbound - top slowies.

Sherry Missmas!

Steve

Social source share

Thanks for that Steve. Just seemed too good to be true, for what I paid for it!! Have one other by them on Westbound, but can't for the life of me recal what it is at present. Thanks for the reply mate.

Cheers

D'Arcy

Social source share

Weirdly came out with TWO label designs.

One promo has text RECORDED IN CANADA on the label. one promo has no mention of Canada. Can't speak for the stcok copies as I don't have one at the mo'

Both are USA releases.

But it is cheaper to press and make sleeves in Canada and some companies did make their product over the border.

Houston is a long way from Canada.. any ideas? anyone?

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Weirdly came out with TWO label designs.

One promo has text RECORDED IN CANADA on the label. one promo has no mention of Canada. Can't speak for the stcok copies as I don't have one at the mo'

Both are USA releases.

But it is cheaper to press and make sleeves in Canada and some companies did make their product over the border.

Houston is a long way from Canada.. any ideas? anyone?

Westbound did put out a variety of acts mostly from Detroit, but also Chicago (Denise LaSalle), Ohio (Players) and in it's latter days LA etc, so Texas isn't too much of a stretch. Still not convinced its Archie Bell though.

Social source share

Westbound did put out a variety of acts mostly from Detroit, but also Chicago (Denise LaSalle), Ohio (Players) and in it's latter days LA etc, so Texas isn't too much of a stretch. Still not convinced its Archie Bell though.
the point i was trying to make was it was recorded in Canada.. Canada to Houston..
Social source share

the point i was trying to make was it was recorded in Canada.. Canada to Houston..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John when Kev Barrett first came living here from Canada in the late 80,s he brought with him

around 30,000 45,s from the radio station WSAY among that lot where several copies of the Houston Outlaws and if my memory serves me right they where copies that had the made in Canada info on

Kev was talking to Eric Mercury who is Canadian and Eric told him Lonely Girl was recorded in Canada

and leased out to the Sacville Studio he also said he thought it had been demo.d in Canada on a small indi label Clip or Click i think it was..

Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John when Kev Barrett first came living here from Canada in the late 80,s he brought with him

around 30,000 45,s from the radio station WSAY among that lot where several copies of the Houston Outlaws and if my memory serves me right they where copies that had the made in Canada info on

Kev was talking to Eric Mercury who is Canadian and Eric told him Lonely Girl was recorded in Canada

and leased out to the Sacville Studio he also said he thought it had been demo.d in Canada on a small indi label Clip or Click i think it was..

Regards Ian Cunliffe

WSAY radio station in Richmond N.Y. that brings back memories; Martin Koppell beat me by a couple of days to that load. I still bought about a 1000 45s but I believe that was one of his very best finds.

Eric Mercury on Canadian would cause a stir wouldn't it.. The HOuston Outlwas was recorded in Canada but I've never seen a Canadian release..

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Thought this was a bit tantalising as to who they were, but can't find anything further:

Vernon Ray Young

Mr. Vernon Ray Young, was called into eternal life on Thursday, February 17, 2005 in Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island. Vernon was born in Jacksonville, Texas, January 13, 1949.

He previously worked with The Outlaws of Houston, Texas, Archie Bell and The Drells, and Vernon Young and The Touchtones of Columbia, SC.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Thought this was a bit tantalising as to who they were, but can't find anything further:

Vernon Ray Young

Mr. Vernon Ray Young, was called into eternal life on Thursday, February 17, 2005 in Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island. Vernon was born in Jacksonville, Texas, January 13, 1949.

He previously worked with The Outlaws of Houston, Texas, Archie Bell and The Drells, and Vernon Young and The Touchtones of Columbia, SC.

more info on Vernon Young

when he finished high school became a member of the Outlaws, who often opened for Archie Bell & the Drells.

Social source share

more info on Vernon Young

when he finished high school became a member of the Outlaws, who often opened for Archie Bell & the Drells.

Interesting - that maybe where the Archie Bell connection came from. A lot of these singers were drafted in and out of groups at the drop of a hat to fill in for missing singers, people sent off to war etc.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Cheers

D'Arcy

I have just taken delivery of Denise LaSalle "Keep it Coming"/"Trapped By A Thing Called Love" Westbound W-182 stock copy with W-1462-A CANADIAN LTD , then your "Mik" what looks more like a fancy M followed by HC to me. Looks like handwriting, don't know how to tell it's been stamped but in handwritten font.

Thought it unusual, popped it into google and found this post.

Cheers

Candiman

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!