Free Angela LP

Guest Bearsy

Free Angela LP

I have been highly reccomended to get myself a copy of this LP,

Can anyone help me out please,

i aint got a clue what is worth so please be kind to me.

Bearsy

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Couple of copies of this on gemm, one going for $175..

Heard the tyrone thomas track played out off the LP and I thought it sounded a bit muffled, not as clear as the Little Tommy 45.. can anyone confirm if this is the case

The Tyrone Thomas cut of "Baby Can't You See" doesn't really sound muffled to me - if anything, it's a re-recording done a key below the Little Tommy cut. But I do think "Nobody Knows" by Dickie Wonder sounds mufled.

Social source share

Thanks for confirming this Gene.. have been contemplating picking this lp up for a while now, probably the only way i'm ever gonna afford a vinyl copy of the Little Tommy :shades:

No probs Steve. I can definitely recommend buying it, if only for two tracks. I play Tyrone Thomas at Solid Hit Soul, and will be doing so tomorrow!

Social source share

No probs Steve. I can definitely recommend buying it, if only for two tracks. I play Tyrone Thomas at Solid Hit Soul, and will be doing so tomorrow!

Does the LP have Oscar Wright Leave Me Alone on it?

Re the 2 tracks, if you like a little more than Northern, e.g. deep its actually a pretty decent all round album.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Thanks to everyone,

just to let you all know,

i have just purchased one (original) that is still in its wrapping for by the sounds of it a very very good price from a very reputable person on here.

Yes I have bought it mainly for the Little Tommy - Baby cant you see, track as its been on my want list for quite a while now with no luck,

Really looking forward to hearing the whole album too though,

the advantage of still being quite new to the scene is i cant stop finding new tunes :shades::lol::yes::P:D

Bearsy (im loving it) :D

Social source share

Gene my dear friend :shades:

do you think that someone might play Little Tommy tomorrow night too :yes:

Your biggest fan Bearsy :lol:

Social source share

Afraid not Jocko.....................

What a strange extra track to include on the CD then. Not that I am complaining, even though I have the 45 twice (on different labels obviously, or at least think I still have) its one of those goosebump tracks.

So then whats the connection between Larry saunders and Oscar Wright then, anyone?

Social source share

What a strange extra track to include on the CD then. Not that I am complaining, even though I have the 45 twice (on different labels obviously, or at least think I still have) its one of those goosebump tracks.

So then whats the connection between Larry saunders and Oscar Wright then, anyone?

With a bit of lateral thinking, my guess is that Dickie Wonder and Little Tommy both recorded for Sound Of Soul. Oscar Wright's "Leave Me Alone" was first issued on Hemisphere as the B-side to "Fell In Love", before it gained a Fairmount release.

Sound of Soul and Hemisphere both appear to be owned by Mr Wiggles, or at least come from the same distribution point. That's the only factor I can see which connects Oscar Wright with the other artists on the LP, though not necessarily Larry Saunders.

"The soup thickens...................."!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

With a bit of lateral thinking, my guess is that Dickie Wonder and Little Tommy both recorded for Sound Of Soul. Oscar Wright's "Leave Me Alone" was first issued on Hemisphere as the B-side to "Fell In Love", before it gained a Fairmount release.

Sound of Soul and Hemisphere both appear to be owned by Mr Wiggles, or at least come from the same distribution point. That's the only factor I can see which connects Oscar Wright with the other artists on the LP, though not necessarily Larry Saunders.

"The soup thickens...................."!

Very good lateral thinking Gene, on EMS a chap who has just done tv show with Larry Saunders in Holland (true honestly) said the re-issue was done by Mr Wiggles, and looks like him and Larry are no longer friends therefore my assumption re artists being paid may not be correct. However your connection was spot on!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Couple of copies of this on gemm, one going for $175..

Heard the tyrone thomas track played out off the LP and I thought it sounded a bit muffled, not as clear as the Little Tommy 45.. can anyone confirm if this is the case

I have compared the LP version and the 45 version and reached the conclusion that it's the same guy. The LP version is definately slower but I've never thought it muffled. It's possible that when you heard it out, it was on an LP where that particular track has been played eleven million times (approximately) and the vinyl has become worn.

I've played the track out from the LP with the deck pitched up slightly and, to me, it sounds very very close to the 45.

Summary:

- Little Tommy is Tyrone Thomas (IMHO)

- The 45 version and LP version are one and the same (poss different takes) with the LP version cut slower (IMHO)

- The 45 version is the best

- I want a 45 of it

Question:

Did Angela ever get out?

Social source share

I have compared the LP version and the 45 version and reached the conclusion that it's the same guy. The LP version is definately slower but I've never thought it muffled. It's possible that when you heard it out, it was on an LP where that particular track has been played eleven million times (approximately) and the vinyl has become worn.

I've played the track out from the LP with the deck pitched up slightly and, to me, it sounds very very close to the 45.

Summary:

- The 45 version and LP version are one and the same (poss different takes) with the LP version cut slower (IMHO)

- I want a 45 of it

Question:

Did Angela ever get out?

Weren't the tracks either remixed or re recorded for the LP. Did she get out? Who cares :rolleyes:

biog I found....

At the tender age of 10, he was known as Lil Tommy. He and Major Harris of "Love Won't Let Me Wait" fame, put together their first quartet, called the "Teenagers" They open for several major league recording artist,

such as Sam Cooke, Mary Wells, Fat's Domino, and blues legend Jimmy Reid. The Teenagers stay together for several years. The Teenagers went on to perform and win Amateur Night at the Apollo in the late 60's.

Tyrone began to hone his skill as a drummer. Later

putting together a band called "Nobody's Children". In the early 70's they became Patti Labelle and the Bluebells

back up band. Again touring and opening shows for

artist such as Tyrone Davis, Kool and the Gang, The Delfonics, and The Moments, to name a few

"Nobody's Childern continue to be Patti Labelle's back up band. They were performing at Lord Price's Turntable, when Patti Labelle was suddenly stricken with a serious throat illness. Thus ending the career of "NOBODY'S CHILDREN".

Tyrone's career as a drummer continued, he performed

with blues legend Swapp Dogg,

Doris Duke, Charlie Whitehead, Freddy Scott and

Smoking Joe Frazier.

After being on the road for several years, Tyrone then

return home to Richmond, VA.

Putting his master plan in effect where he went on to

create the self contained group

"THE WHOLE DARN FAMILY" and wrote "SEVEN MINUTES OF

FUNK" one of the most

sample songs by various Hip Hop artist today.

"SEVEN MINUTES OF FUNK", has been sample by JAY-Z &

FOXXY BROWN, FAITH EVANS & JA RULE, EPMD, RED MAN,

KEITH MURRY, ERIC SERMON, Q-TIP, WU TANG,

THE ALCOHOLICS, GRAVE DIGGERS, WYCLEF JEAN, LIL BOW WOW and most

recently BAD BOYS ll Soundtrack.

This Richmond,Va. native now resides in the Big Apple

where he continues to write, arrange and produce.

Pioneer, entrepreneur, visionary, producer and

composer. In his catalog he has amassed over 200

songs.

Adult Contemporary combined with undeniable funk,

soulful song writing skill of R&B,

Jazz and Hip Hop make up his unique sound.

He now owns Indie label "BUTAH BEAT RECORDS", "MO

BUTAH PRODUCTIONS

and "ALLTHOMS MUSIC, BMI.

Social source share

Chalky - I wrote that post with my heart in my mouth wondering if I would be lining myself up for some stick if I'd been way off the mark! Thank f**k your post and the blog you found appears to bear me out - Thank you mate!

Jokin' aside, I think she was released around 1972 as it became politically embarrassing to keep her in prison, such was the high profile of her case, despite being a member of what was, at the time, an illegal organisation. The "Free Angela" title of the album was, I think, taken from the huge movement of the same name that mobilised to finance her legal representation in the courts. She was a teacher somewhere before joining the struggle for black rights in the US.

Neil

Social source share

Chalky - I wrote that post with my heart in my mouth wondering if I would be lining myself up for some stick if I'd been way off the mark! Thank f**k your post and the blog you found appears to bear me out - Thank you mate!

Jokin' aside, I think she was released around 1972 as it became politically embarrassing to keep her in prison, such was the high profile of her case, despite being a member of what was, at the time, an illegal organisation. The "Free Angela" title of the album was, I think, taken from the huge movement of the same name that mobilised to finance her legal representation in the courts. She was a teacher somewhere before joining the struggle for black rights in the US.

Neil

she still is an activist, prisons or summat and lectures a bit. I read a biography of her on Wikepedia when this LP talked about some time ago.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I can copy my free angela lp onto a cd if it helps bearsy :thumbsup: nick

Thanks Nick,

This album will tide me over until i finally get my mitts on a 7" Little Tommy :(

I might just take you up on that offer as it would be nice to listen to it in the car, :thumbsup:

I aint got the equipment to do vinyl to cd and im not that clever. :D

Hope you spent my money wisely, anyhting nice.

See you soon Nick, take care and have a good crimbo

Bearsy

Social source share

Thanks to everyone,

just to let you all know,

i have just purchased one (original) that is still in its wrapping for by the sounds of it a very very good price from a very reputable person on here.

Yes I have bought it mainly for the Little Tommy - Baby cant you see, track as its been on my want list for quite a while now with no luck,

Really looking forward to hearing the whole album too though,

the advantage of still being quite new to the scene is i cant stop finding new tunes :thumbsup::thumbsup::D:(thumbsup.gif

Bearsy (im loving it) :ohmy:

I'll make sure I play Baby Can't You See at SHS tonite Bearsy! Look forward to seeing you there.

Social source share

I'll make sure I play Baby Can't You See at SHS tonite Bearsy! Look forward to seeing you there.

Nice one Gene, see you in a couple of hours thumbsup.gif

Bearsy

Social source share

Thanks Nick,

This album will tide me over until i finally get my mitts on a 7" Little Tommy :yes:

I might just take you up on that offer as it would be nice to listen to it in the car, thumbsup.gif

I aint got the equipment to do vinyl to cd and im not that clever. :(

Hope you spent my money wisely, anyhting nice.

See you soon Nick, take care and have a good crimbo

Bearsy

:rolleyes: cheers bearsy,£ will hopefully be going towards a big want of mine wink.gif ,pm your address and ill get it sent to you. nick
Social source share

:shades: cheers bearsy,£ will hopefully be going towards a big want of mine :lol: ,pm your address and ill get it sent to you. nick

Towards a big want :lol: It must be big then Nick :thumbsup: ,

Thanks for that Nick, i will PM you.

Bearsy :ohmy:

Social source share

Free Angela LP

I have been highly reccomended to get myself a copy of this LP,

Can anyone help me out please,

i aint got a clue what is worth so please be kind to me.

Bearsy

If anyone's interested, Little Tommy - Baby Can't You See also came out on those re-issue l.ps from the (late 80's?) soul supply gang, The Northern Soul Story volume 16.

Sleeve notes state that the record is from Richmond - a non r&b area..(their words).

Social source share

If anyone's interested, Little Tommy - Baby Can't You See also came out on those re-issue l.ps from the (late 80's?) soul supply gang, The Northern Soul Story volume 16.

Sleeve notes state that the record is from Richmond - a non r&b area..(their words).

Very interesting,

thanks for that :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Summary:

- I want a 45 of it

Question:

Did Angela ever get out?

Of course she did! - She would have gone to "the chair" otherwise, thanks to Ronald Reagan (then Governor of

California) I still have my "Free Angela Davis" badge and newsletter from 1971! - A historical artifact now methinks!

Social source share

Of course she did! - She would have gone to "the chair" otherwise, thanks to Ronald Reagan (then Governor of

California) I still have my "Free Angela Davis" badge and newsletter from 1971! - A historical artifact now methinks!

Have another look at that newsletter. California never had execution by the "chair" . They used cyanide gas !

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Have another look at that newsletter. California never had execution by the "chair" . They used cyanide gas !

:thumbsup:

OK - but I think that's hardly the point! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

OK - but I think that's hardly the point! :thumbsup:

Thats a fair comment, as Wittgenstein wrote, "The likeley incidence of innocence with violent offence is an inverse integer to the diasporic contribution of narcotic entertainment availability." I'm sure that I don't have to explain that in detail but I think that it provides uncontrevertible evidence that Charlie Windsor likes muffins for breakfast.

Is it Friday or Saturday today?

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mel brat

Thats a fair comment, as Wittgenstein wrote, "The likeley incidence of innocence with violent offence is an inverse integer to the diasporic contribution of narcotic entertainment availability."

Yeah bu' we is all aware tha' Wittgenstein "was a beery swine who was just as schloshed as Schlegel..." innit?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share