Timillustrator

US 60's Garage bands

Soussan's Electric Prunes rip off is actually called just 'Serenade' and claims to be by the Sounds of Lane (I used to collect his Soul Galore releases as a joke).

Nobody's mentioned JC Messina's awful version of Time Won't Let Me that was big and pricey for a while - I believe he became a C&W producer.

Dx

PS Found it on YouTube!

Edited by DaveNPete

1 hour ago, Karl s said:

That castaways is similar to judy hughes , fine fine fine on vault i think so any way with the heavier rhythm section not garage though

It is rather similar isn't it! In some cases it is pretty close, just the instrumentation that makes the difference really. 

Liar Liar and Jimmy Hanna's Leavin' Here were both played at The Scene late 65. For many years I wondered whose version of Leavin' Here had been played, not Eddie Holland, finally found out from a Martin Thomson when I started going out to soul nights again.
I have a feeling that 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians was played then, but can't be 100 per cent sure. I'll ask my friends who used to go with me but they're not quite as obsessive about that sort of thing, unlike me.

1 hour ago, tiberius said:

The Cliffhangers - Since You've Gone Away would qualify as garage.

It's certainly got a primitive recording quality, Kingsmen type twangy guitar solo and 'white' sounding vocal. It's pretty smooth compared to some though, does this mean it verges more towards Beach Music? Great track in any case.

On 13/11/2018 at 14:38, El Corol said:

Not the 'Lenora' ones

Well girl you dance and you dress with style

I just watch you playing darling in your mini skirt

Lets do the latest dance

Now for sure, just take a chance

Now any minute I might lose control

And in to your arms I'm gonna go, go

Hey girl, my, have you changed!

Now when you were my girl you didn't look the same

You changed because you love me?

Because you love me?

Because you love me?

Ha, it's all right

Hey baby, it's out of sight

You wear bell-bottom pants in just the latest style

Every time I see you it really send me wild

In your plat-former boots and hip-huggers too

Girl you look so fair standing in your mini skirt

I said, hey girl, my, have you changed!

When you were my girl you didn't look the same

Did you change because you love me?

Because you love me?

Because you love me?

Hey girl, I need you

Hey girl, I want you

Hey girl, I want you bad

Hey girl, I dig you act

Hey girl ……. well alright

Hey baby you know it

Honey, don't you know it

You're out of sight

Hey baby, you've changed

Oh, sock it to me now ‘cause you're looking good

Sock it to me, honey, I knew you would

You know you're up-tight and out of sight

Hey, it's alright

Oh baby ………

Vondells2_gif_1.gif

vondells3.gif

On 15/11/2018 at 23:11, Soul-Slider said:

There are 2 vinyl L.P's out now called 'It's Boss! Man!' featuring 'USA 1960's Soulin' Garage' that's what it states on the cover. I have volume one and I would say that at least half of these could be played on the 'Northern' scene....

boss1.jpg.57e928c24b0ea61ec3571d322ac4fb0b.jpg

Preview of it on Youtube, some stonkers there, the "soulin" aspect of it, to me, seems to be more in the vocals on most of these which are a cut above the usual Jagger/Dylan wannabes. I particularly like the Royal and The Shades track which sounds like it was recorded in a toilet with 1 mic; wonderful! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXqsmq5YMfw

Edited by Timillustrator

32 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Preview of it on Youtube, some stonkers there, the "soulin" aspect of it, to me, seems to be more in the vocals on most of these which are a cut above the usual Jagger/Dylan wannabes. I particularly like the Royal and The Shades track which sounds like it was recorded in a toilet with 1 mic; wonderful! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXqsmq5YMfw

I picked out 5 that could definitely get played at NS allnighters: 

J. T. & The Wisemen, S.O.S. Unlimited (on 'Whittier' ala Thee Midniters), Ground Floor People, Endless Knights and Tony & The Vizitors.

My missus is getting me vol 2 for Christmas 🙂  

16 minutes ago, Bertrand said:

Not as garage-y as it gets, but compatible with a Northern Soul playlist. I'm also partial to girl bands

Old big Bradford spin - and before that Wigan I believe - pretty well known.
Dx

23 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

I picked out 5 that could definitely get played at NS allnighters: 

J. T. & The Wisemen, S.O.S. Unlimited (on 'Whittier' ala Thee Midniters), Ground Floor People, Endless Knights and Tony & The Vizitors.

My missus is getting me vol 2 for Christmas 🙂  

That first one certainly has a frantic beat! the others don't seem to be on Yoututube apart from the Tony and The Visitors that's already been posted. 

Stuart Cosgrove in his book Young Soul Rebels, lists these two (along with the Human Beinz) as 'garage' bands played at Wigan. Although the Outsiders is pretty sophisticated instrumentally (warped on this version though) and the Avengers is also fairly smooth vocally. 

19 hours ago, tiberius said:

How about The 006'S - I'm In Love

Stonking garagey fuzz guitar solo at 1:26! Wow this is Bob Parissi's first band; he later, of course, went on to have a global hit with Play That Funky Music.

Edited by Timillustrator

1 hour ago, Timillustrator said:

Stuart Cosgrove in his book Young Soul Rebels, lists these two (along with the Human Beinz) as 'garage' bands played at Wigan. Although the Outsiders is pretty sophisticated instrumentally (warped on this version though) and the Avengers is also fairly smooth vocally. 

I'm amazed that The Avengers was played at Wigan! I honestly thought it was a (fairly, 10 years ago) recent discovery.

The Outsiders track is one of their best.

I'm happy to say I own both these 45's and love them! 

23 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

I'm amazed that The Avengers was played at Wigan! I honestly thought it was a (fairly, 10 years ago) recent discovery.

The Outsiders track is one of their best.

I'm happy to say I own both these 45's and love them! 

This is the excerpt from Stuart's book and he seems to be pretty good on facts; judging by this and his other books, there appears to be quite a lot of research gone into them. I agree that Outsiders one is fantastic. 

1752870027_ScreenShot2018-11-19at20_43_42.png.5b982fa2371129be723f18a032ae7648.png

Edited by Timillustrator

4 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

That Avengers is staggeringly dreadful garbage - just awful.
This is pretty garage and very well known, a great record:

To be honest, I thought it was the flip 'Crying All Alone' that was the side played out...

13 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Bloody rare, bloody awful - I reckon MBs stands for Merseybeats - don't half sound like he's pretending to be Gerry Marsden.

I know what you mean, also in places it strangely sounds like it's going to change into Ferry Cross The Mersey! :)

17 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

This is pretty garage and very well known, a great record:

Themes is not a garage tune by any means. According to Discogs they're the same bunch as the 21th Century (of "Shadows of a memory" fame).

13 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Bloody rare, bloody awful - I reckon MBs stands for Merseybeats - don't half sound like he's pretending to be Gerry Marsden.

M.B.'s means M.B.S. means Modern Blues Sounds. One of my alltime favourite blue-eyed soul records. So beautiful.

8 hours ago, Benji said:

M.B.'s means M.B.S. means Modern Blues Sounds. One of my alltime favourite blue-eyed soul records. So beautiful.

In which case I have a fantastic British blue eyed version of the Roy Hamilton classic 'You'll Never Walk Alone' for sale if you're interested.

Dx

12 hours ago, Benji said:

Themes is not a garage tune by any means. According to Discogs they're the same bunch as the 21th Century (of "Shadows of a memory" fame).

Yeah, I like The M.B's too.

1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

Yeah, I like The M.B's too.

Out of interest where was it first played? Wigan? The Cavern? I have a tape of obscure stuff somewhere that Mickey Cruise gave me many years ago coz it had 'My Baby Changes Like The Weather' by the Mayfield Singers which is an all-time fav. (and didn't have an artist for at the time - constantly being sent down the Bobby Calendar, Vows, Miracles route) on it. Think it probably came from Dave Withers originally circa 81 - other stuff on there were things like Richard Anthony, Bob Brady 'Goodbye Baby' and The Outsiders 'Backwards Upside Down'. Dx

20 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

Great version! There's a pic sleeve for this.... unknown artist.

no-artist-listed-im-gonna-destroy-that-boy-munster.jpg.5254552bec57a91c8e23972bf85f79a3.jpg

Of course, you know it was released by The Happy Cats (UK Grapevine) and The What Four on Columbia but it's not as good as the unissued one.

what-four-im-gonna-destroy-that-boy-columbia.jpg.7e50108deb5ea634a61685e437cdc4d3.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider

9 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

Certainly got that R'n'R feel, but so has Little Richard's Get Down With It which is remarkably similar to this one.

To my ears Little Richards 'Get Down With it' is a R 'n' R song and has nothing whatsoever to do with NS. It's a great song, by the way. Slade speeded it up and it became a stomp-along Glam Rock classic. 

2 hours ago, Karl s said:

Call who can forget count five psychotic reaction

Great song, can anyone conform that this (and The Seeds Pushin' Too Hard) were played anywhere in the past? Just surprises me because to my ears they are out and out garage, not much in common with NS at all. There are loads of others e.g. Talk Talk by the Music Machine, Father John by the Premiers, Shadows of Knight, literally thousands actually. 

I first came across the term "garage" in the early 70s when I used to get The Story of Pop magazine every week. There was a small chapter on it - where it was also referred to as "punk rock" about three years before the British version emerged. It's a pretty loose term or genre really, similar to "pub rock",  and like all such sub-genres it has its good, bad and ugly.  

One of the best (imo) is The Wildweeds' No Good to Cry and probably one of the best example of garage with soul influence.  

4 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Great song, can anyone conform that this (and The Seeds Pushin' Too Hard) were played anywhere in the past? Just surprises me because to my ears they are out and out garage, not much in common with NS at all. There are loads of others e.g. Talk Talk by the Music Machine, Father John by the Premiers, Shadows of Knight, literally thousands actually. 

The Seeds was played at Wigan in 1980 by RW. I didn't know what it was then and it sounded great played loud in the main room. It packed the floor and was one of his most popular sounds. Later I found out what it was. Played at home it sounds much more low key. Almost like a different record.

25 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Tim,

Count Five was a regular sound on the Mod scene during the mid-80's.  I've never heard it at a northern soul event, but then again I've not attended anywhere near as many of those as many on here have, so hopefully someone else will be able to provide a more definitive answer.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.