Timillustrator

US 60's Garage bands

I did go to a hell of a lot of ns nighters and clubs between 1980 and 1988 i stopped ns nighters in  88 after a mad night at shoom (changed everything for me in  late 87 ,) so count 5 was played around clubs a lot before then also a lot of medicine was consumed ,count five may have been at a ns / scooterist periferal night but saying that it was played a fcuking lot at a lot of places its a stonker of a garage tune

The Underdogs Love's Gone Bad. Also various Sunliners stuff.  I think Detroit gives a good microcosm.

Out of interest: Imagine you'd never head Stewart Ames' "Angelina" before. How would you describe it on first hearing? 

Edited by maslar

2 hours ago, Karl s said:

I did go to a hell of a lot of ns nighters and clubs between 1980 and 1988 i stopped ns nighters in  88 after a mad night at shoom (changed everything for me in  late 87 ,) so count 5 was played around clubs a lot before then also a lot of medicine was consumed ,count five may have been at a ns / scooterist periferal night but saying that it was played a fcuking lot at a lot of places its a stonker of a garage tune

Wow, thanks. I used to hear the Count Five and the Seeds played in the 80's and 90's at psych/alternative/indie nights all the time; never would have associated either of them with the NS scene.

Fantastic slab of garage!

Edited by Timillustrator

On 01/12/2018 at 19:49, Soul-Slider said:

Could get plays?

Wow love the baseline on that one! Pretty smooth vocals too, as with a lot of the others posted it's got the right beat and a slightly hybrid feel but the rinky dink organ and twangy guitar at the end really gives it away as a garage track.

3 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Philly dog around the world 🎶🎶😱

Yes, but on the wrong speed! I thought for a minute you meant that the title translated to that in English as well😁. Google translate tells me it's "The Sun Is A Drug", I wonder what the rest of the words are?

To me this one totally has that 'Garage band' feel about it. The musicianship is probably second-year level, the naïve sound and in particular the arrangement suggests to my ears a band that was only just starting out.

A lot of records on the scene make me think like this, one of the reasons I like it, reminds me of Punk a lot, 'we're gonna keep on playing like this until we can play something better!'

Having said that I really dig this one! 

1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

To me this one totally has that 'Garage band' feel about it. The musicianship is probably second-year level, the naïve sound and in particular the arrangement suggests to my ears a band that was only just starting out.

A lot of records on the scene make me think like this, one of the reasons I like it, reminds me of Punk a lot, 'we're gonna keep on playing like this until we can play something better!'

Having said that I really dig this one! 

Fantastic, I have that on a CD somewhere. Concur with your analysis it does sound like the musicians are all just starting out and can keep a riff going until a break but not much more. The backing vocals sound a bit more sophisticated though. Do you think this was the same band? The bass playing is certainly a lot more accomplished and there's an organ on it too. 

2 minutes ago, the yank said:

"Descent" is out and out Garage, the flip side sounds

like it could have come from the Carolinas- 

Brill, I just love their publicity photograph too - they look uncannily like the Beach Boys with a Brian Wilson lookalike (bottom left) and Al Jardine (bottom right)!

1 minute ago, Timillustrator said:

Fantastic, I have that on a CD somewhere. Concur with your analysis it does sound like the musicians are all just starting out and can keep a riff going until a break but not much more. The backing vocals sound a bit more sophisticated though. Do you think this was the same band? The bass playing is certainly a lot more accomplished and there's an organ on it too.

I can see similarities, if it is the same band they have either got a better bass player or he's been brushing up on his jazz lines...

The vocals on the other one, don't forget that a good voice is something you're born with, musicianship may take a little while...

Bloody singers, bring virtually nothing to the table, end up stuffed full of a five-course meal... Hope you're well Tim! :hatsoff2:

10 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I can see similarities, if it is the same band they have either got a better bass player or he's been brushing up on his jazz lines...

The vocals on the other one, don't forget that a good voice is something you're born with, musicianship may take a little while...

Bloody singers, bring virtually nothing to the table, end up stuffed full of a five-course meal... Hope you're well Tim! :hatsoff2:

Very good thanks mate; hope you are? I used to sing, my mate, the guitarist, was a WAY better musician than me and actually everyone else in the band but never got any credit at all.

Going back to Thank You Baby, I can see what you mean about punk the bass playing could be Dee Dee Ramone - one note at 100mph!

2 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

Yes, but on the wrong speed! I thought for a minute you meant that the title translated to that in English as well😁. Google translate tells me it's "The Sun Is A Drug", I wonder what the rest of the words are?

Some of the locals go mad for Jimmie's 

Going a tad off piste here but as pointed out by Dis57 (Can I get A Witness) and Spain Pete (Philly Dog Around The World), most garage groups simply re-wrote (stole?) stuff and took the credit, not that they probably made a penny off it at the time though. The first time I heard this 30 odd years ago I instantly thought it was Barefootin' -  it's certainly got a lot of similarities, but I bet Robert Parker never got anything. That first Grateful Dead album sounded pretty garag-ey to me too mostly R&B rewrites with a bit of wordplay thrown in (forgive me for posting the GD here, I'm not  a fan of their other stuff much😓). 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.