Timillustrator

US 60's Garage bands

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:27, Timillustrator said:

Wow love the baseline on that one! Pretty smooth vocals too, as with a lot of the others posted it's got the right beat and a slightly hybrid feel but the rinky dink organ and twangy guitar at the end really gives it away as a garage track.

Agree Tim, lovely 'woody' sound to the bass!

Good record!

38 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Before his sad passing toward the end of last year I had a great chat online (one of many) with Nelson Lemond, drummer of The Tempests, I asked him what genre of music the band were aiming for when they recorded 'Someday'. Nelson said that the band always considered themselves as 'Carolina Beach' a genre of it's own around the south east coast at that time, fascinating stuff. A lovely gentleman was Nelson!

For the last two years I've been working closely with Nelson (right up to his passing) on the Tempests story, along with Van Coble and other members. New book is due out late spring / early summer.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:16, Soul-Slider said:

I know 'The Chashers' has been played in several NS venues over the last few years and is bloody rare! Not sure about the other two but The Chapters is a definite candidate. 

I covered the Chashers story here...

http://southernsoulcollector.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-chashers.html

1 hour ago, Windlesoul said:

For the last two years I've been working closely with Nelson (right up to his passing) on the Tempests story, along with Van Coble and other members. New book is due out late spring / early summer.

Great combo, Van on Bass and Nelson, his drum fills at the turnaround on 'Someday' are so good, for drummers to die for!

Look forward to the book!

3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Fabulous! Definitely Northern potential.

Fully agree. I know of three versions of this tune. Ohio Express, Rare Breed and Demotrons. First two are pretty lame brit-invasion tunes. Demotrons has definitely lots of potential when played at the right time at a dance.

12 hours ago, Benji said:

Fully agree. I know of three versions of this tune. Ohio Express, Rare Breed and Demotrons. First two are pretty lame brit-invasion tunes. Demotrons has definitely lots of potential when played at the right time at a dance.

Rare Breed's version has the same riff as The Kingsmen's 'Louie Louie'... but like you say Benji, Demotrons take it to a different place.

BTW just bought a Demotrons for £30. This thread is costing me money 🤑

Edited by Soul-Slider

On 09/01/2019 at 08:43, DaveNPete said:

Not them a] Listen to the lyrics and b] napalm does not contain benzine, it's petroleum jelly. Personally I always loved the song but certainly wouldn't call it 'garage'.
Dx

I don't know? The twangy guitar and relentless tambourine 4 on the beat certainly have a garage-y feel to them. Admittedly no fuzz or organ though. 

On 10/01/2019 at 22:52, Benji said:

The comments on this you tube video are interesting though - clearly the Ohio Express and Rare Breed ones are different recordings but here they are saying its the same band. I always thought the Ohio Express were a studio band in the Archies mould.

On 11/01/2019 at 11:17, Soul-Slider said:

Rare Breed's version has the same riff as The Kingsmen's 'Louie Louie'... but like you say Benji, Demotrons take it to a different place.

BTW just bought a Demotrons for £30. This thread is costing me money 🤑

This is a really confusing story- it looks like Cameo/ Parkway formed their own Ohio Express after the 45 was released?

Here's 2 of the original band members giving their 

views on "Beg, Borrow and Steal" -

Edited by the yank

On 13/11/2018 at 10:32, the yank said:

This group sounds like the Chicago Jades who recorded as The Three Jades for Maurice Jackson's Maurci Records.  Were they THAT same group?

33 minutes ago, the yank said:

No - this Jades is a completely different group. Would almost swear they were from California.

Latinos or at least some are. If you read the comments on THIS youtube clip you will see a couple of quotes from band family members. Here's a bit I wrote a while ago on facebook about this explaining it.

click on 'Christopher Lagaspi' (group members son, a Latino name btw) it brings up some stuff of his, click on the video of him and his friends far right top titled 'Lightning In A Bottle', or his 'Big Cee' one. He speaks of the 'Chino Sound' (same type as Thee Midniters etc). I can't find much info on 'OldiesAngel' (singer's brother) except that he is a fan of Pop, Folk, Rock R&B, Country et al! I guess it's not so much 'Blue Eyed Soul' as 'Brown Eyed Soul' 😎  Of course this doesn't mean all members of the group were Latino's. 45cat list the group as being from East L.A, a hotbed of Latino, Chicano Soul. The singer does sound very white, especially on 'I'm Where It's At'.

6 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Latinos or at least some are. If you read the comments on THIS youtube clip you will see a couple of quotes from band family members. Here's a bit I wrote a while ago on facebook about this explaining it.

click on 'Christopher Lagaspi' (group members son, a Latino name btw) it brings up some stuff of his, click on the video of him and his friends far right top titled 'Lightning In A Bottle', or his 'Big Cee' one. He speaks of the 'Chino Sound' (same type as Thee Midniters etc). I can't find much info on 'OldiesAngel' (singer's brother) except that he is a fan of Pop, Folk, Rock R&B, Country et al! I guess it's not so much 'Blue Eyed Soul' as 'Brown Eyed Soul' 😎  Of course this doesn't mean all members of the group were Latino's. 45cat list the group as being from East L.A, a hotbed of Latino, Chicano Soul. The singer does sound very white, especially on 'I'm Where It's At'.

Now that you mention this, I seem to remember a Latino group named The Jades, recording for one of the Faro group East L.A. labels.  This must be that group.  Come to think of it, the instrumental on this sounds very "tinny" like so many L.A. recordings, also the acoustics don't sound like any Chicago sound recording studio room familiar to me (Universal, Columbia, Ter-Mar, One-Der-Ful, etc.).

Edited by RobbK

11 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Yes.  On THIS side they sound a LOT more like a Latino group than an African-American group.  And the instrumentation sounds more obviously L.a. (tinny and hollow) than Chicago.

9 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Now that you mention this, I seem to remember a Latino group named The Jades, recording for one of the Faro group East L.A. labels.  This must be that group.  Come to think of it, the instrumental on this sounds very "tinny" like so many L.A. recordings, also the acoustics don't sound like any Chicago sound recording studio room familiar to me (Universal, Columbia, Ter-Mar, One-Der-Ful, etc.).

Cheers Robb.

I've just put a reply up to the guys on youtube asking for any photos of the band. You never know but unlikely as the posts are 3 years old!!!

29 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Stomps in places but Psych not Garage?

It's got that psych sustained guitar sound and quite sophisticated arrangement but '68 was when a lot of garage bands went psych and seemingly lesser numbers added brass and went in more of a soul direction.

Two of my favorites, The Brogues and Haymarket Riot ROCK!!! proper 'COCK' guitar on the haymaket riot... laughs

Edited by Mal C

Oh nearly forgot this one on Dyno Voice, we all know the label, this is proper frantic stuff...!!! Imagine 'THRASHING' your head about as you press play!!  go on DO IT!!! kill some brain cells!! lol

Edited by Mal C

I do have to appologise, Ive now read the thread and the above bare no resmblence to the 'Northern hole' sound...what so ever!!!  thank fooking christ for that!!  lol 

The Islanders - Where The Lights Are Bright is a good 2 sider.  The other side, Baby Pack On is also on youtube but whoever posted it didn't make a good job of the recording so I've not bothered posting that one here.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.