Timillustrator's profile photo

US 60's Garage bands

Audio Lists Timillustrator

Posted
On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:27, Timillustrator said:

Wow love the baseline on that one! Pretty smooth vocals too, as with a lot of the others posted it's got the right beat and a slightly hybrid feel but the rinky dink organ and twangy guitar at the end really gives it away as a garage track.

Agree Tim, lovely 'woody' sound to the bass!

Good record!

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
38 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Before his sad passing toward the end of last year I had a great chat online (one of many) with Nelson Lemond, drummer of The Tempests, I asked him what genre of music the band were aiming for when they recorded 'Someday'. Nelson said that the band always considered themselves as 'Carolina Beach' a genre of it's own around the south east coast at that time, fascinating stuff. A lovely gentleman was Nelson!

For the last two years I've been working closely with Nelson (right up to his passing) on the Tempests story, along with Van Coble and other members. New book is due out late spring / early summer.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:16, Soul-Slider said:

I know 'The Chashers' has been played in several NS venues over the last few years and is bloody rare! Not sure about the other two but The Chapters is a definite candidate. 

I covered the Chashers story here...

http://southernsoulcollector.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-chashers.html

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Windlesoul said:

For the last two years I've been working closely with Nelson (right up to his passing) on the Tempests story, along with Van Coble and other members. New book is due out late spring / early summer.

Great combo, Van on Bass and Nelson, his drum fills at the turnaround on 'Someday' are so good, for drummers to die for!

Look forward to the book!

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Fabulous! Definitely Northern potential.

Fully agree. I know of three versions of this tune. Ohio Express, Rare Breed and Demotrons. First two are pretty lame brit-invasion tunes. Demotrons has definitely lots of potential when played at the right time at a dance.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

what about the one you've all forgot  Tim tam and the turn ones? ?

soul source url
Posted

I don't think this one's been mentioned yet- 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, the yank said:

I don't think this one's been mentioned yet- 

Fantastic, as is their other one 'I'm Gonna Hurt You'.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Benji said:

Fully agree. I know of three versions of this tune. Ohio Express, Rare Breed and Demotrons. First two are pretty lame brit-invasion tunes. Demotrons has definitely lots of potential when played at the right time at a dance.

Rare Breed's version has the same riff as The Kingsmen's 'Louie Louie'... but like you say Benji, Demotrons take it to a different place.

BTW just bought a Demotrons for £30. This thread is costing me money 🤑

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

On 09/01/2019 at 08:43, DaveNPete said:

Not them a] Listen to the lyrics and b] napalm does not contain benzine, it's petroleum jelly. Personally I always loved the song but certainly wouldn't call it 'garage'.
Dx

I don't know? The twangy guitar and relentless tambourine 4 on the beat certainly have a garage-y feel to them. Admittedly no fuzz or organ though. 

soul source url
Posted
On 10/01/2019 at 22:52, Benji said:

The comments on this you tube video are interesting though - clearly the Ohio Express and Rare Breed ones are different recordings but here they are saying its the same band. I always thought the Ohio Express were a studio band in the Archies mould.

On 11/01/2019 at 11:17, Soul-Slider said:

Rare Breed's version has the same riff as The Kingsmen's 'Louie Louie'... but like you say Benji, Demotrons take it to a different place.

BTW just bought a Demotrons for £30. This thread is costing me money 🤑

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This is a really confusing story- it looks like Cameo/ Parkway formed their own Ohio Express after the 45 was released?

Here's 2 of the original band members giving their 

views on "Beg, Borrow and Steal" -

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:20, Spain pete said:

Keb darge did 

And me..still do.x

soul source url
Posted
On 13/11/2018 at 10:32, the yank said:

This group sounds like the Chicago Jades who recorded as The Three Jades for Maurice Jackson's Maurci Records.  Were they THAT same group?

soul source url
Posted

No - this Jades is a completely different group. Would almost swear they were from California.

soul source url
Posted
33 minutes ago, the yank said:

No - this Jades is a completely different group. Would almost swear they were from California.

Latinos or at least some are. If you read the comments on THIS youtube clip you will see a couple of quotes from band family members. Here's a bit I wrote a while ago on facebook about this explaining it.

click on 'Christopher Lagaspi' (group members son, a Latino name btw) it brings up some stuff of his, click on the video of him and his friends far right top titled 'Lightning In A Bottle', or his 'Big Cee' one. He speaks of the 'Chino Sound' (same type as Thee Midniters etc). I can't find much info on 'OldiesAngel' (singer's brother) except that he is a fan of Pop, Folk, Rock R&B, Country et al! I guess it's not so much 'Blue Eyed Soul' as 'Brown Eyed Soul' 😎  Of course this doesn't mean all members of the group were Latino's. 45cat list the group as being from East L.A, a hotbed of Latino, Chicano Soul. The singer does sound very white, especially on 'I'm Where It's At'.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Latinos or at least some are. If you read the comments on THIS youtube clip you will see a couple of quotes from band family members. Here's a bit I wrote a while ago on facebook about this explaining it.

click on 'Christopher Lagaspi' (group members son, a Latino name btw) it brings up some stuff of his, click on the video of him and his friends far right top titled 'Lightning In A Bottle', or his 'Big Cee' one. He speaks of the 'Chino Sound' (same type as Thee Midniters etc). I can't find much info on 'OldiesAngel' (singer's brother) except that he is a fan of Pop, Folk, Rock R&B, Country et al! I guess it's not so much 'Blue Eyed Soul' as 'Brown Eyed Soul' 😎  Of course this doesn't mean all members of the group were Latino's. 45cat list the group as being from East L.A, a hotbed of Latino, Chicano Soul. The singer does sound very white, especially on 'I'm Where It's At'.

Now that you mention this, I seem to remember a Latino group named The Jades, recording for one of the Faro group East L.A. labels.  This must be that group.  Come to think of it, the instrumental on this sounds very "tinny" like so many L.A. recordings, also the acoustics don't sound like any Chicago sound recording studio room familiar to me (Universal, Columbia, Ter-Mar, One-Der-Ful, etc.).

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
11 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Yes.  On THIS side they sound a LOT more like a Latino group than an African-American group.  And the instrumentation sounds more obviously L.a. (tinny and hollow) than Chicago.

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Now that you mention this, I seem to remember a Latino group named The Jades, recording for one of the Faro group East L.A. labels.  This must be that group.  Come to think of it, the instrumental on this sounds very "tinny" like so many L.A. recordings, also the acoustics don't sound like any Chicago sound recording studio room familiar to me (Universal, Columbia, Ter-Mar, One-Der-Ful, etc.).

Cheers Robb.

I've just put a reply up to the guys on youtube asking for any photos of the band. You never know but unlikely as the posts are 3 years old!!!

soul source url
Posted

Stomps in places but Psych not Garage?

soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Stomps in places but Psych not Garage?

It's got that psych sustained guitar sound and quite sophisticated arrangement but '68 was when a lot of garage bands went psych and seemingly lesser numbers added brass and went in more of a soul direction.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Two of my favorites, The Brogues and Haymarket Riot ROCK!!! proper 'COCK' guitar on the haymaket riot... laughs

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

this is a cool 45 I bought in canada of all places, its not Canadian I dont think..

This one was from Neptune Records in Vancouver, 20 bucks of Vancouver hammond brilliance 'Doors' style...

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

other 'Garage' 45's worth checking out  The Wig Wags - Im on my way Home / Sama

and cool as FCUK!! The El Shades on Audio Arts out of Youngstown.... BOO YAH!!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Oh nearly forgot this one on Dyno Voice, we all know the label, this is proper frantic stuff...!!! Imagine 'THRASHING' your head about as you press play!!  go on DO IT!!! kill some brain cells!! lol

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I do have to appologise, Ive now read the thread and the above bare no resmblence to the 'Northern hole' sound...what so ever!!!  thank fooking christ for that!!  lol 

soul source url
Posted

The Islanders - Where The Lights Are Bright is a good 2 sider.  The other side, Baby Pack On is also on youtube but whoever posted it didn't make a good job of the recording so I've not bothered posting that one here.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

J.H.+ The Esquires - Comin' On Strong also has a ballad flip which is OK.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:29, the yank said:

This is a really confusing story- it looks like Cameo/ Parkway formed their own Ohio Express after the 45 was released?

Here's 2 of the original band members giving their 

views on "Beg, Borrow and Steal" -

Regarding the Rare Breed and Ohio Express - The Rare Breed band did record BB&S first, released on the Attack label, which was a national distributed label but did not have the promotional strength of the larger labels. Some months after it was released, the producers (Kasenetz and Katz) wanted to give it another try.  The Rare Breed were not interested in promoting it so they went looking for another band to use who would be able to play live, etc. They asked the manager of the Music Explosion, who had just scored a big hit with "Little Bit O' Soul" (produced by K&K) if he knew another band that could take the place of the Rare Breed - so a band named Sir Timothy and the Royals, from the same city (Mansfield, Ohio) were renamed the Ohio Express and the same recording by the Rare Breed was re-released on Cameo with the Ohio Express name. Later, a studio band (again produced by K&K) with Joey Levine as lead singer would cut songs and have them released as the "Ohio Express", while the Ohio Express band would do the live appearances, with band members trying to emulate Levine's vocals.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:33, Mal C said:

this is a cool 45 I bought in canada of all places, its not Canadian I dont think..

The Shades of Darkness were from Dunkirk, NY, on Lake Erie SW of Buffalo, NY

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 15/01/2019 at 22:03, Mal C said:

I do have to appologise, Ive now read the thread and the above bare no resmblence to the 'Northern hole' sound...what so ever!!!  thank fooking christ for that!!  lol 

Hahaha, but thanks for posting, some absolute stonkers there and it brings be back to my first point too - The Haymarket Riot and The Brogues would sit perfectly nicely alongside Stop Girl or Pushin' Too Hard, Psychotic Reaction, She's About A Mover or Wooly Bully all of which were played; all are (to my ears) out and out garage with little "soul" sound to the vocals, arrangement or instrumentation.

Edited by Timillustrator

soul source url
Posted

Very Garage but I like it - 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
On 17/01/2019 at 18:47, the yank said:

Very Garage but I like it - 

Nice, particularly garage-y vocal. What about this one? Apparently released in '71 and pretty smooth vocally but the fuzz guitar is straight out of '66. 

soul source url
Posted

Tim I know I’ve said this before but listen to twelve76 , the way you make me feel on critique , freak beat the stafford way

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Karl s said:

Tim I know I’ve said this before but listen to twelve76 , the way you make me feel on critique , freak beat the stafford way

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Thank you sir 

i dont know how to do that

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Karl s said:

WOW! The first 31s totally lull you into a false sense of boredom. . . Great track; pretty soulful vocals too, only really the beat, organ, bits of guitar and tambourine give it that garage edge.

soul source url
Posted

Great Garage from Memphis supposedly written by the

same person who wrote "Betty Davis Eyes" (?) 

• Up vote 5

soul source url
Posted

An obvious one would be The Traditions - My Life With You, in fact their other 45 on Barclay could be included in this topic.

soul source url
Posted

The Fabulons - Don't Ask Me

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I had to get this one when I heard it, rare nowadays but I'd say defo 60's garage/northern (1968)

Edited by shufflin
added date
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, shufflin said:

I had to get this one when I heard it, rare nowadays but I'd say defo 60's garage/northern (1968)

Good one. Lead singer deffo sounds black!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

This is, IMHO, the most "garage" track from the entire Soul Survivor's catalogue (from the same Atlantic album that the soulful "Mama Soul"!):

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 26/01/2019 at 21:40, josep manuel concernau robles said:

This is, IMHO, the most "garage" track from the entire Soul Survivor's catalogue (from the same Atlantic album that the soulful "Mama Soul"!):

Lovely song - The guitar solo's pretty rocky but to me there's not too much garage in there apart from that; pretty sophisticated arrangement too, slightly funky. 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

What about this one? It's not considered particularly garage but the Little Latin Lupe Lu (garage staple) feeling to it sounds a bit like it, and of course the guitar.

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

Great track- would work well as a Northern track also ! 

soul source url
Posted
41 minutes ago, the yank said:

Great track- would work well as a Northern track also ! 

Which it already is. A true classic.

soul source url
Posted

Thanks to keb and guy

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Guest\