Dave Clegg

Davenpete

Really sad news. Dave was one of my most favourite people ever on the scene. Everybody knew him as a laugh, but he was always kind and supportive to me. Back in the day I've had several promoters come up to me and say ' Dave Clegg has told me I have to book you'. I never knew what to say to that.
I like to think of myself as a gentleman in the proper sense of the word, and that's the most apt description for Dave. At Dave Rimmer's wife's funeral in the car on the way home my wife asked me while we were at the doo afterwards what I'd been talking to Dave about. I said I couldn't remember, she said ' well you've been talking for about four hours non stop to each other'. He had some great stories, even if you'd heard them multiple times before.
A memory has just popped into my head. One night at the 100 club Niter, mid way through the night Dave appeared. Some body called him on it, saying ' where you been, part timer '. He told us that he'd travelled 60 miles to some soul night, then gone a further 200 miles in the opposite direction up to Blackpool to see some artist at a doo up there, but then came down to the 100, which clocked up another 250 miles. " Can't miss the 100 club" he said. I wish I could remember the instant witty comment I gave him, but he did a double take over his shoulder, first with a snarling angry face, then with a massive grin. He literally picked me up and said " I love you Mr Pugh". I shall treasure that memory for as long as I live.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Went to Dave's wedding in Huddersfield all those years ago ( I still have the photos). I still got the Marvellettes  LP he bought me for my birthday ( he'd written 'deleted' on it for special effect😂 but it's still with me.

Last saw him at Cleethorpes a couple of years ago, had a great time catching up on the old days about Huddersfield and the West riding soul scene in the late 60s/early 70s.

RIP

Julian & Carolyn xxx

Social source share

So So Sad news. Absolutely in Shock. I've just read the terrible news. Dave one of the Original Huddersfield Wheel crowd and a true friend. Was with him this summer.Was always a pleasure to be in his company.                                              God bless you Dave R.I.P.

Jacque & Fred Ward. 

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 17:20, Mr Fred said:

So So Sad news. Absolutely in Shock. I've just read the terrible news. Dave one of the Original Huddersfield Wheel crowd and a true friend. Was with him this summer.Was always a pleasure to be in his company.                                              God bless you Dave R.I.P.

Jacque & Fred Ward. 

Very Sad news , Recal many Great  Niters " down them stairs " at Whitworth street , plus events from Huddersfield to Nottingham & Around the " British SOUl Scene  Map ! " .

Dave and Gilly gave us an insight to " Edwin Starr the Man " from the mid to late Sixties - adding much excitement to the start of the Seventies Soul Scene yet to be Experienced !

Will have to dig out several of the many " Signed Edwin Starr " -  TWISTED WHEEL posters Attributed to DAVE  .   " Sending out this S.O.S ! "  R.I.P our Good Soule Man - Warm thoughts to his Family .

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Edited by earlvandykes6
Photos Inserted .
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

As many of you will know Dave Clegg, a great friend to many and one of the scene’s characters recently passed away.  It has, as you will understand been a very difficult time for his wife Cheryl.  Mick H has set up a go fund me page to help raise the funds towards Dave’s funeral.  

If you have a little to spare no matter how small then please donate and help make the burden on Cheryl a little easier to bear.  Thanks.

https://www.gofundme.com/dave-cleggs-funeral-costs

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Dave and I were best mates in Huddersfield, we went to nighters regularly and when he moved to Nottingham we used to be down there most weekends setting off to different events, we event went on holidays together.

Although we lost touch in the early 80s we would still had the odd bit of banter and more recently he was at my 60th and more recently mine and Paulines Ruby Wedding do.

I probably have his last ever photo from that night.

More recently Dave, Nobby Steven, Johnny Day and myself were meeting up in Nottingham at Dugeon reunion nights.

I have many pictures and tales of times with Dave which I will add over the next week or so.

RIP my old Mate.

scan0071.jpg.281c34a00b563bb82b559625adbfda26.jpg

Edited by okehchas
I wrote lots
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!