simon t

Some car insurance Q's

11.       Does anyone deal with an insurance company / broker who you actually speak with to negotiate a deal with?

22.       Does anyone have a policy with a named driver (both over 50, experienced drivers, clean licences)

33.       Any ideas  what the addition driver % of the main driver’s policy would be?

44.       Any recommendation?

55.       Any to avoid like the plague?

TIA

Simon. Postcode lottery these days. It's a fcuking rip off regardless of age, experience,  etc.  I'm 59. 30 odd years no claims,  clean licence drive a ford focus diesel estate live in Manchester £500 plus insurance 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

I recently got my wife to change to Liverpool Victoria as they were far cheaper than anything her broker was offering her. I got her as a named driver on my LV policy too at zero extra cost - if I remember correctly it may have decreased the cost of my policy slightly to have her as a named driver. 

- Kev

Edited by KevinKent

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdi, two named drivers over 50, cost me about £140 with the AA, it'll be £100 once the cashback goes through.  Like Steve says above, postcode has a big impact.  I always use comparison websites to get a feel for the current market, then go to the most competitive insurers via a cashback website.  I use Top Cashback but other sites are available.

I've used Liverpool Victoria before and was quite impressed. They were named best car insurer by Which magazine at the time. The only reason I stopped was because they did he usual trick of hiking the premium up for existing customers. I may well go back next year if I can get a good deal.

Having a spouse on insurance as a named driver nearly always brings it down.  Mine went up after my divorce.  Someone recently hit my car and drove off.  Direct line sorted it out within 2 weeks with a free hire car.  Just for my excess without affecting my no claims.  Wasn't the cheapest insurance company  by about £40 a year but claim service was good 

Edited by Greedy Mick

10 hours ago, daved said:

I've used Liverpool Victoria before and was quite impressed. They were named best car insurer by Which magazine at the time. The only reason I stopped was because they did he usual trick of hiking the premium up for existing customers. I may well go back next year if I can get a good deal.

Yes Dave, I had that at one stage with Liverpool Victoria. Once I'd had a rant at them they suggested I take out a 'new policy' with them rather than renew my old one. Worked a treat and almost halved my quote. Now they automatically suggest that if it's to my advantage.

If I receive a renewal quote that has jumped up from the previous year, I always ring the insurance company to ask why.  None of them can ever justify the price hike and if they can't give me a better quote then I always go elsewhere.  Loyalty no longer pays, and insurers rely on customer apathy to increase premiums year on year.

44 minutes ago, KevinKent said:

Yes Dave, I had that at one stage with Liverpool Victoria. Once I'd had a rant at them they suggested I take out a 'new policy' with them rather than renew my old one. Worked a treat and almost halved my quote. Now they automatically suggest that if it's to my advantage.

Done exactly the same.  Lloyds renewal was £1000 so I  phoned them , they offered me £150 reduction for phoning them. I said there website was £500 , guy on phone couldn't match his own companies online quote told me to cancel policy and renew online.  Fcuking ridiculous. How can the same company do that. 

Steve 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.